Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning fellow hobby geeks,
ive been on this site for about a year but haven’t actually posted any. ive decided that i should start sharing my work as im a bit of secret hobby scrillal. i horde models like nuts
ive been working my death guard army for about 2 months now and have 1 heavy flamer unit all painting up and well as 10 of a 14 man despoiler unit.
im working on the second tactical squad ATM
here is some of my work in progress pics, sorry for the blurriness of some of the pics

this isnt the most upto date pic but ill post them today or tommrow. hopefully ill have the highlists on the metal and gold finshed on my next post

here is a few pics of the finshed heavy flamer squad. i used a flat base coat on these models which worked but i havent used of any of the other models and probaly wont on the rest.

these pics are of my despolier squad. atm i still need to add anouther 4 men due to a list change as both tac squads will be 14 men. the seargent in the pics above will be joining the despoliers.

on theres models i used a zenithial style hight ligh. i used a black base coat and then airbrushed with Gorthor Brown trying to leave sum black in the resesses. i then air brushed with Krieg Khaki. i then brush highlighted with Krieg Khaki. i went a bit mad with the weathering on this unit but i think it works well.

[/URL][/img/

[/URL][/img/

hope you guys like what you see. im thinking of doing a tutorial for my base and armour. let me know if youd be interest :) :good:

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Grandfather is pleased! :crazy:

hope you guys like what you see. im thinking of doing a tutorial for my base and armour. let me know if youd be interest :)
Articles on other peoples ways of doing things are always welcome mate! :good:

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Welcome aboard the PLOG section, my heretic friend!

I have to say, your Deathguard looks fantastic - I really like the subtle weathering and the slightly realistic theme you got going. Thumbs up from my end :good:

In regards to the tutorials, how about I make you a deal, as I've just started on my Word Bearers: you handle the Deathguard tutorials and I will handle the Word Bearers. This way we can join forces and spread the chaos influence all over this forum ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why thank you all hobby dudes tawa and R_Squared!
I’m still trying to button down what my process is. But in the meantime im kind of clad it’s still quite fluid as its creating a lot of variety in the army. Im not a fan of a completely uniform army’s. I haven’t done any tutorials before so it might take me a while and they’ll probably just be pics and text as I have no video editing skills lol.

Nordicus I was so close to doing word bearers, just had a quick look at your work clad im not competing. Your minis are gorgeous man!

·
8,723 Posts
But in the meantime im kind of clad it’s still quite fluid as its creating a lot of variety in the army. Im not a fan of a completely uniform army’s.
It's actually your fault I've gone from "Heh, maybe get one but I doubt it" to "I could really smash through a Calth box right about now!"...... :laugh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys, painting of the second tac squad is coming along slowly. With any luck will be posting some progress pics tonight or tomorrow. Don’t have any pics but I am now the proud owner of my first medusa artillery tank hoping to get to build and paint it mid next month. Juggling an 8 month old and hobbying is quite a task :) after I have finished with this squad I think I’ll be doing my Deredeo Dreadnought that has sat on the table for six months. Think I need a break with painting rank and file troops.

For the Dreadnought ive been pondering using the hairspray, technic instead of the sponge technic but trying something a little different. I was thinking of a 2 layer hairspray method. Black basecoat + metal then hairspray + rust then hairspray and then the same colour scheme but I was thinking of an enamel wash over the top to give it the grime. Or do you guys think it might be to much? I do have a tendency to go a little mad :shok:

Just a quick thanks for the motivation guys, ive never gotten this far with a hobby project before as I usually get distracted by new releases.

Tawa I feel your pain dude I had given up the the hobby “to the misses delight” the calth box dropped and I lost my tiny geek lizard brain! But what are these forums for if not to enable our collective addictions ;-) to be honest its the best starter box ive ever gotten but ive quickly realised i need anouther one but want to hold off until we get the MK2'S and 3's.

·
8,723 Posts
Tawa I feel your pain dude I had given up the the hobby “to the misses delight” the calth box dropped and I lost my tiny geek lizard brain! But what are these forums for if not to enable our collective addictions ;-) to be honest its the best starter box ive ever gotten
I was within spitting distance of my local GW today but Mrs and little man kept me busy. Run fecking ragged! So that stopped me from picking one up :laugh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hello fello hobby nutters.

i know its been quite some time since my last post.... turns out i update one blog and forgot to update this one. i'd like to say i was just a momentary laps in memory but i would be lieing.

first update is for my dred, model is more or less done. i still have to finsh off the base and give a good coat of matt vanish and it should be ok. i messed up badly with the chipping effect. i did all the multible layers and then soaked and chiped the paint away, bad move as i ended up taking all the layers in one go. think i managed to recover it.......was not repainting it, im far to lazy. ive since started on my medusa useing the same schem, but having problems again as i used way to much vanish before aplying the hairspray. ill be posting pic soon as i havnt taken any yet.

thanks all for the dred for now. next up is the second tactical squad. theses have since been based and are ready war. good abit longer to get done than the despolier squad due to lack of spare time. pretty much the same method i used for the others

not to pleased with the vexila on this one might have to revist it.

this guy is only so i can play BaC hence the 10th squad marking on the shoudler pad

family christmas shot! all the smelly cusins togeter.

next batch, i probaly wont carry on with these until i do the medusa crew.

this is my durak rusk. please bear in mind this is him as he was about 2 weeks ago. ive now cut away at the face and added scares and added some hair, not so shore if the hair stands fluff wise for the charector but i couldnt help myself.

ill be posting some more progress pics tonight.... the other half has her mate over so ill be dissapareing for some quality stargate and hobby time ahahahah

peace dudes!

·
8,723 Posts
More great work mate! :good:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wow, you're minis look fantastic @WARMASTERWILLIE seriously impressive.

I love the 'realistic' feel to them with the weathering and battle damage, really looks exactly how I imagined the Death Guard to look :)

+rep for you sire!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why thank you very much, Tawa, gorthol and R_sqared. still a noobie blogger so if you guys have tips on how to make my blog a bit more zazy that would be great ;-)

ill try and get more posted tonight, the first half of the tack squad is now finshed. i have a finshed Meduca to post some picks of but im still painting the crew and the last 7 tack marines. pics soon.... if my daughter gose to sleep.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Great work again - I'm very impressed with the level of realism in your models and you seem to have nailed your own style in this regard. Do keep up the good work!

Based on the first batch of models, I would probably take another look at the helmet-less face though. The skin seems a bit flat compared to you awesome details on your other minis, so if I were to focus one place for improvement, it would be there. Then again, it's very few models where it will come into play so you're golden as far as I can see.

still a noobie blogger so if you guys have tips on how to make my blog a bit more zazy that would be great ;-)
Not that I'm an expert, but your blog seems pretty good so far. Lots of pictures and relevant updates. My advice would be to try and explain your thought processes more as you go - What choices do you face, what dilemmas are you trying to solve, where does the models fit in, etc. The more people feel they are with you at the table, the more they want to read :)

Keep it up!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good evening brothers.

at last i finally have some more images to share. i know its been awhile, but worth the wait i assure you.

first up is my fished Medusa. im pleased to report this model went a hell of a lot smother than the dred did! as before i used the hairspray method. this time however, i made sure that i vanished in between the multiple layers. i cant stress more if your using this method and you want more than one layer of chipping to do this. it will save you alot of pain. once again i used AK interactive enamel washes, i absolutely love these paints, if they wasn't so bloody expensive i would have used them on all my death guard.

i just fished of the crew. you can see where the squad number usually is on the left shoulder pad on the other death guard there is a scull. the reason for this is eventually i wont to use all the squad numbers and it didn't feel right just leaving it blank. dont know if its particularly fully but i think it give the artillery crew a good separation from the rest of the army. ive got some rapier crews coming as well and ill be using the same squad marking on them as well.

slight balls up here, the number on the shell being carried by the marine is white, but is black on the rest of the shells. probably should have had the Medusa close by so i could check lol.

next up is the dred not a massive update on this one, just finished the base.

now its time to show the first finished tac squad. its taken about 3 months but we are finally at lucky number 14! with the second batch of 7 i tried to add some variation in the squad. i deliberately left a few minis with minimal weathering hoping this would show that the squad has a few new recruits in there. i also used 2 washes in the recesses unlike the rest of army so far. the washes on the other minis was just a wash of sepia (heavily diluted with medium). on these i started as normal with the sepia but then went over it with a black wash as well.

last but not least is Durak Rusk. hes have a fair bit of work done since the last update. i had being looking at the mini as it was for about 2 weeks and it just didn't sit right. one of the things i love about the HH is the HQ models. forge world dose such a fantastic job at making the named guys look so good, and this guy just looked like a bit of a lazy kit base by comparison. so i decided to go back and do some re sculpting of the face and find some cool part to make him stand out. first thing was to cut away at his face. fluff states this guy is realy badly scared. the next was hair, dont know if its fluffy or not i just liked the idea of this guy having long greasy hair. i then gave him a new eye. i liberated parts form the ad mech and scions kits for his back pack. i used an ad mech pistol had to give is pistol a different style. the only thing left to do is add some piping on his chest plate, something ive never done before but i think this mini calls for it.

thats it for now. i wont be painting Durak until i have everything else build and painted. i still have 4 despoilers to paint, to get to lucky 14. and 2 thud guns and 10 missile launcher heavy support marines. all of which are on there way. with any luck i should have a new more painted models to show you all in a few weeks.

·
8,723 Posts
What can I say?

Absolutely loving this PLog mate. Your work is top notch!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys, I know it was a bit of a burst of what I had done over a good few weeks, I'll try and update the blog a bit more often for now on lol.

Nordicus I don't have many vehicles planned for painting in the next few weeks so don't know when I'll get round to makeing a tutorial. In the mean time I'll share the like of where I learned it, as well as picked up my love of Ak interactive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnBY_hz0xk8

This guys is realy good I've picked up quite a few tricks from this vidio after making my razorwing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts