Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Help with using gut magic

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Shaun_wi 
#1 ·
I have just started playing warhammer again after a 12 year abscence. I'v decided on Ogre Kingdoms as my army and have a had a few 1000pt battles to get the rules in to my head aswell as learning how to use my ogres properly and just want to make sure I'm getting it right.

I'm slightly confused at how to use gut magic properly (how to use it too benefit me in games and also yo use it correctly within the rules). So heres my questions (for ease of answering presume all magic is coming from a single butcher):

.Can I use the same spell multiple times on different units?
if so can I do this in the same turn i.e giving two units regeneration?

. Can I cast the same spell multiple times on the same unit and have the effects stack?
e.g. having toughness 7 ogres with regen

For any of the answers, if possible, can you give me page numbers so I can re-read the sections of the rule/army book so I can understand it better.

Any other things you want to add about using gut magic is also appreciated.
As I said I am new to both the rules and the army so any help is appreciated.
Thankyou in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
I have just started playing warhammer again after a 12 year abscence. I'v decided on Ogre Kingdoms as my army and have a had a few 1000pt battles to get the rules in to my head aswell as learning how to use my ogres properly and just want to make sure I'm getting it right.

I'm slightly confused at how to use gut magic properly (how to use it too benefit me in games and also yo use it correctly within the rules). So heres my questions (for ease of answering presume all magic is coming from a single butcher):

.Can I use the same spell multiple times on different units?
if so can I do this in the same turn i.e giving two units regeneration?
Yes and yes, but not from the same butcher. If you successfully cast a spell (and its not dispelled) then the cost goes up by +3 for that turn for other butchers to cast it

. Can I cast the same spell multiple times on the same unit and have the effects stack?
e.g. having toughness 7 ogres with regen
No, only 1 buff per unit max.. so there is no question about stacking

For any of the answers, if possible, can you give me page numbers so I can re-read the sections of the rule/army book so I can understand it better.
Casting the same spell multiple times is in the first section of "Casting Gut Magic" P60, only being able to cast each one once is a standard rule of magic so i somewhere in the rulebook (but everyone will know that one- no mage other then vampire counts can keep spamming the same spell.
For the effects of spells and how they interact read the FAQ, its almost all based around spell interactions: here

Any other things you want to add about using gut magic is also appreciated.
As I said I am new to both the rules and the army so any help is appreciated.
Thankyou in advance
Gut Magic is very confusing.. as can be seen readint he FAQ. The errata tells you to ignore several different chunks of the rules in the army book and then the FAQ itself has many different questions on it.

Here is the quick and messy ruleset you need to know about Gut Magic
- Butchers are Lv2, Slaughtermasters are Lv4
- Butchers have 6" range on buffs, slaughtermasters have 12"
- one spell per unit, but not one unit per spell (trollguts can be on every unit in your army, but trollguts and bullgorger can never be on the same unit)
- if a character leaves a unit either the character or the unit has the buff on them, but not both
- character joining a unit is complicated. If the buff is on the character then it only affects him, if its on the unit it affects the character as well. If both have buffs you have to choose which one stays (almost always take the unit buff).
- anytime someone tries to dispel other then when you cast the spell its 'original casting value' is assumed to be a 7, regardless of what was actually needed to cast it (be it 3, 6, 9 or even 12+)

The one that keeps catching me out currently is opponents being able to dispel remains in play spells in my magic phase. So I cast buffs early, a few turns later just as Im charging I dont know what to do with my power dice as I've got all the buffs I want... I waste my dice and then my opponent just dispels all my buffs right when I need them. I need to learn to stop wasting dice :p

#6 ·
As Putch says.
Basically its identical to every other lore around in that respect. If I have a HE mage with the first 2 spells from the lore of fire and fail to cast fireball I cannot then try to cast it again. Gut Magic is the same, except that the 'Lore Trait' is that each successful cast of a spell increases its casting cost by 3 for the rest of the turn.

Personally I have only been taking 1-2 spellcasters for my ogres- normally a slaughtermaster/skrag and then a butcher if I feel I need the back up (and to spam spells- he'll roll a 1-2 soon enough but then I can step in with the Lv4 and roll more dice per spell- helps to draw out the enemy dispel dice cheaply).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.