Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Well That Was Unexpected
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm currently helping my nephew create a Tau army list. I must admit I'm having a tough time understanding the the codex and how to equip his Commander Crises Battlesuit and his Bodyguards, so I've come up with the following set-up and tactic. I'd like some comments on both the set-up (is there a better one?) and how it fulfils the tactic I have in mind.

Now hopefully I have worked this out right points wise

HQ
Shas’o, Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Target Lock, Hard Wired Drone Controller, x2 Shield Drones, 128pts

X2 Shas’vre, Twin-Linked Burst Cannon, Targeting Array, Hard Wired Drone Controller, x1 Shield Drone, x1 Gun Drone, 166pts

Now if I have read everything right, what I want this unit to do is attack transports and kill whats inside. So the Commander uses his target lock to seperately target say a Rhino, he fires and because it is twin-linked it hopefully opens it up. The two Bodyguard Shas'vre can then fire their twin-linked burst cannons at ballistic skill 4 at the now revealed squad and hopefully do some damage. Finally there is two gun drones on the Bodyguards to help kill whatever is inside, plus two shield drones to use along with the Commanders two, so that the squad has 4 4+ invulnerable saves.

My question is am I reading all of this right and can this unit perform this task? Finally how useful is this set-up at MC hunting or performing other tasks. Basically is it a good set-up?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Now tho i have the Tau codex i don't have any modal for them nore to i use them...however my mate uses them and i have a few army lists (for fun) for them. I ran this list around with various people from this site and many tau players here is what they suggested to me;

Shas'o w/ Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Shield Generator, HW Multi-tracker, HW Drone Controller, x2 Shield Drone
2 Bodyguard w/ Plasma Rifle, Missile pod, Targeting array, HW Multi-tracker, HW Drone Controller, 1 Gun Drone (each)
This means they cna deal with anything and deal with it well. Drones can be swaped out easily but i prefure this set up as my Gun droens can take the S8+ hits and my shield drones can take any others latter on. Make sure to always keep more T4 suits/shield drones than T3 Gun/Marker droens as this makes them weaker.

·
Painter in training
357 Posts
HQ
Shas’o, Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Target Lock, Hard Wired Drone Controller, x2 Shield Drones, 128pts

X2 Shas’vre, Twin-Linked Burst Cannon, Targeting Array, Hard Wired Drone Controller, x1 Shield Drone, x1 Gun Drone, 166pts
Honestly it will work but there are a few other ways of working it. Take a Shas'el instead of a Shas'o, you're really only going to sacrifice 1 wound and get around 15 more pts to play with. The Shas'el with a multi tracker, missle pod, and plasma rifle should pop things easily as you get to fire both off instead of a re-roll of a missed hit with a twin link, thats a total of four shots going into one unit, two S7 then if you Rapid Fire two more at S6 and at a 3+ to hit something should go through.

With the body guard I would drop the gun drones... they don't seem to hit for me with their low BS. If you are wanting to take out armored guys drop the flamer and take plasma rifles but if they are normal infantry two flamers really seem to do the trick then finish off the straglers with the burst cannons.

x1 Shas'el, Missile Pod, Plamsa Rifle, Target Lock, HW Targeting Array, HW drone controller, HW Multi Tracker, x2 Shield Drones (not sure what the points of that would be don't have the codex with me)

x2 Shas'vre, Burst Cannon, Flamer, Targeting Array, HW Multi Tracker, HW Drone Controller x1 Shield Drone

Just my two cents, hope this helps out.

·
Painter in training
357 Posts
First up, all shooting from a unit is simultaneous, so you can't shoot with the leader and take out the transport then have his bodyguard take out the contents, even with Target Lock.

LOL I was so fast to put up a better build that I forgot that they all shoot at once and thus once the target is popped the other shots would be wasted on the wreck. Thanks for reminding.

·
Painter in training
357 Posts
To counter the everything shoots at once problem you can just seperate the body guard units into a normal crisis suit team and have them shoot after the resolution of the commander's attack.

·
Registered
594 Posts
One thing to note: If you are trying to pop vehicles, i would stay away from a Twin-Linked missile launcher. Yes you will probably hit, but you could still flub the Pen roll. Instead, take two weapons.
Quantity over quality seems to work better until you get up into the S9/S10/melta weapons. Plus, two weapons will allow you to generate more wounds against infantry.

·
Painter in training
357 Posts
One thing to note: If you are trying to pop vehicles, i would stay away from a Twin-Linked missile launcher. Yes you will probably hit, but you could still flub the Pen roll. Instead, take two weapons.
Quantity over quality seems to work better until you get up into the S9/S10/melta weapons. Plus, two weapons will allow you to generate more wounds against infantry.
To be able to use both weapons in the same turn make sure you take the multi tracker or the HW version of it otherwise you're not shooting at full potential.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts