Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Seriously, if more csm players took possessed, there would be a lot less bitching about this codex imo.
That I'll definitely agree with.

It's kinda sad really. My best friend works at the biggest comic and game store in our area, and he was telling me about this group of kids that came in to play warhammer once. One of them had Khorne-flavored CSMs and was getting slaughtered by tyranids. My friend took one look at the board and told the CSM guy that if one of his berserker units was possessed instead, it would actually have a chance. They laughed. Even when he told them about the games he's done with me where they end up being MVPs half the time, they just didn't bother listening. He even started explaining how their stats and save alone make them great for taking down monstrous creatures, but they just kept chanting the "possessed suck" mantra.

Well, at least my friends are still afraid of them.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So over in the daemon marine list I have going right now, which is beautiful thanks to the efforts not only of those who chose to help but have gone even further and posted lists, someone made mention of possibly writing something up on experience with units of possessed.

That could be interesting; so for me the plan will be to give them a try over a number of games and see what I think. If anyone else would like to help with this then by all means, experiences from more than one person could lead to interesting finds.

Maybe, depending on how things go, we'll see myself or others giving other 'shit' or 'sub-par' units a go. Not to promote 'bad' lists and threads but more to lend to the fun of things, help to widen diversity and choice where many look only to the select few because it is a near guarantee they work and they are a bit to scared or unwilling to see if something else can perform as well or better (or maybe worse.)

I will say this though, if I do more of these threads and attempts, I do not plan on doing things for every 'bad' unit out there. My aim is not to completely fuck things up for the more competitive players, and I mean the good ones, not those douche-bags some of us have the misfortune of running into.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sounds like a noble enough goal. There are things that really are crap, particularly in the older armies (Dark Eldar Grotesques come to mind.) There are things out there though, such as Possessed, that while they certainly have downsides, are far more useful than they're given credit for.

I use possessed almost every time I play, I'd be more than happy to share my stories with them.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
So over in the daemon marine list I have going right now, which is beautiful thanks to the efforts not only of those who chose to help but have gone even further and posted lists, someone made mention of possibly writing something up on experience with units of possessed.

That could be interesting; so for me the plan will be to give them a try over a number of games and see what I think. If anyone else would like to help with this then by all means, experiences from more than one person could lead to interesting finds.

Maybe, depending on how things go, we'll see myself or others giving other 'shit' or 'sub-par' units a go. Not to promote 'bad' lists and threads but more to lend to the fun of things, help to widen diversity and choice where many look only to the select few because it is a near guarantee they work and they are a bit to scared or unwilling to see if something else can perform as well or better (or maybe worse.)

I will say this though, if I do more of these threads and attempts, I do not plan on doing things for every 'bad' unit out there. My aim is not to completely fuck things up for the more competitive players, and I mean the good ones, not those douche-bags some of us have the misfortune of running into.
:so_happy:

You shan`t regret that decision.

And I second the idea of "defending" the so called "lesser" units of the game. Look forward to it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think possessed shine in Dawn of war missions. Since they are elite, they would start off board anyway. If they get scout, you can declare they are outflanking, without putting them in reserve in case they get another power.

It makes sense if it is a morning battle and all night the possessed were flanking around the battle zone/hobby room under cover of darkness.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I think possessed shine in Dawn of war missions. Since they are elite, they would start off board anyway. If they get scout, you can declare they are outflanking, without putting them in reserve in case they get another power.

It makes sense if it is a morning battle and all night the possessed were flanking around the battle zone/hobby room under cover of darkness.
Actually, you can't. You must declare how they are arriving when you put them in Reserves. You declare this before you finish deployment, which is in turn before you roll for Possessed.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I`m going to say it, possessed are fantastic.

I run a unit of ten. No icon. No Rhino.

I shit you not, it works every time. Even unarmed, they are a lethal unit. If your opponent ignores them, he will pay for it. Pick the biggest badass foe your opponent has on the table and charge. Hive Tyrant? Dead! Death Company? Dead! (of course this may vary pending the power you roll, but generally you get a combat bonus so you should be okay.)

And if your opponent decides to cream them with the best firepower he has, that`s less fire heading toward more solid units.

Seriously, if more csm players took possessed, there would be a lot less bitching about this codex imo.
A convincing argument. I shall get more posessed.:eek:k:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts