Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I haven't really been around for quite a while and so on.
Recently I've gotten quite back into warhammer again, and I've also gotten my hands on a older battleforce box with 15 tacticals, 5 scouts, 5 assault marines, and a nifty rhino (for a nice discount too)

Like honestly I got most of this figured out, but I would like to ask for what some help with what HQ to bring. Among other things.:grin:

So using the Imperial Fists doctrine from the base codex, the idealized army goes as followed.

10x Tacticals /w Heavy bolter/Plasmagun? Also Unsure what to bring on the Sgt.
5x Tacticals /w Plasmagun I suppose? I figure this squad will sit around, but again. They could go into the rhino with a flamer and whatnot...

x5 Assault marines /w Jump packs(Because Jump packs are awesome), Power weapon, melta bomb.

x5 Scouts /w CCW. Intended for outflanking

x1 Rhino for one of the tactical squads.

I don't really know where to go from here, I do want them to follow a bolter theme, as Evidented by the heavy bolter in the Tacticals.
I'm just not sure on the better ways of kitting out the Marines, as atleast with IG its better to go more lean on the points.

Also I don't really know which HQ I should get (I don't a HQ model yet, and I'm really leaning on the Lord Executioner, as he is awesome) As I don't really if having him go with the assault squad is the best idea, or if I'm better served being more reserved with my HQ.

Also consider this list to be casual!!! But I also want to have a mean edge, If you catch my meaning :victory:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
10x Tacticals /w Heavy bolter/Plasmagun? Also Unsure what to bring on the Sgt.
5x Tacticals /w Plasmagun I suppose?
This is how I have played IF Tactical squads in the past. If I ever gave the sergeant a weapon it was a stormbolter (occasionally a combi-plasma). I've always seen it as heavy bolters are good in Tac squads for Bolter Drill, and high AP heavy weapons are good in Devastator squads because of Siege Masters.

x5 Assault marines /w Jump packs(Because Jump packs are awesome), Power weapon, melta bomb.

x5 Scouts /w CCW. Intended for outflanking

x1 Rhino for one of the tactical squads.
This is all good stuff right here. I'd put the 5 man squad in the Rhino as a mobile backup unit to your Assault squad, and if possible concoct a turret for the top to make it a Razorback. Watch out when infiltrating your Scouts that you aren't giving enemy close combat units a step-ladder of destruction toward your lines, I often take advantage of enemy infiltrated units this way.

I don't a HQ model yet, and I'm really leaning on the Lord Executioner, as he is awesome
He is a great model but a Captain with a power axe is a sad sad thing. I'd go with the classic power fist/lightning claw action even though it's expensive, and though a 5 man Assault squad isn't necessarily the best vessel to get him into combat you'll still have fun playing them in a non-competitive environment.

Were I to grow the collection I would buy a Tactical and Devastator box to make the second Tactical squad 10 strong and build up two Devastator squads. As an alternate HQ option, SM Librarians now have access to Divination which makes them splendid in an IF Dev squad. Re-rolling to-hit and armour pens? Delicious.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I love IF chapter tactics, I run Crimson Fists myself.

A large tac squad with a heavy bolter makes a lot of sense. For your five man tac squad you might want to give the sergeant a matching combi-weapon. For example I run a meltagun/combimelta in a rhino just to threaten enemy vehicles. If you were sold on plas than a combiplasma would scare any terminator or MC player from getting close to that rhino (also weak vehicles).

I used to run a beatstick jump-pack captain with a group of veteran jump-packs. It was very deadly, or very costly depending on the enemies army list. Eventually I came to the realization that, as a character supporting my assault squad, it made more sense to use him as a chaplain. Unfortunately you cannot give a chaplain a power ax (a shame since I too loved the model and wanted to use him).

I feel like personally the best HQ is the basic Libby (lvl 2). He is a staple in most of my lists, I also run biomancy because there are no useless powers in that tree (and no-one isn't threatened by an iron-armed, warp-speeded, forced power maul wielding IC).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts