Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using them since they came out, and on the whole think they are excellent. However, when washing large flat areas I always end up with streaks. Someone at my club suggested a drop of washing up liquid in the bottle to help break the surface tension or something like that, but before I potentially ruin a perfectly good wash, can someone confirm or deny this? Any other suggestions/tips would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Washes do not work very well on large flat areas.

As washing up liquid breaks tension it can reduce streaking: however, you do not want all your wash to be runny. I suggest putting a small amount of wash on a palette (or other container) and adding a little washing up liquid, then painting wash into the recess rather than over the entire surface.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you are just going for a darker version of that colour then you could buy the GW spray gun and some canned air and get Minitaire Ghost Tints (The black one - I forget the name) to darken it. Over a large area you wouldn't need the precision of an expensive airbrush.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
If you're washing a large flat area, I'm guessing you're using it more as a glaze?

The GW glazes work pretty well for this. Another thing you can do it apply a gloss topcoat (modellers use Future Floor Polish) that makes the wash run better and not pool or streak as much.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Wouldn't add anything to the actually pot ever, do everything on the pallette so that it doesn't mess up a whole pot, but yes a drop of thinner would be better or, apply the wash, then clean the brush and wipe the streaks to spread it out.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Magpie has it, a glaze might be the way to go. Maybe a pic will help with what I want to do. The red on the crisis suits below came out a hell of a lot brighter than I was expecting. The description is one of a deeper darker red, and having used Army Painter sprays for years now with no complaints I took it as true. What I want to do is darken it way down to almost mechrite red, but am afraid with all the flat areas on the suits they'll just be crazy streaky by the time I use enough coats to get them were I want them.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you are trying to shade it down, don't go bloodletter glaze, glazes are meant to tie highlights together not darken a model, I would stick with a shade, mix a bit of lahmian medium on the pallette, the important thing to stop streaks is to not overload your brush, don't necessarily use a brush with a large ferrule (like the wash brush), just use something to like the citadel large brush.

Wash the model in sections - apply the wash as you normally would, wash the brush and use the side of the brush to wipe of the blotches on the flat panels while the wash is still wet then move onto the next bit

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
What are you trying to do with the the washes. If you are trying to shade or darken a flat surface, it might be easier to just use a darker shade on the flat areas, or you are going to have to wash than repaint over the flat areas.

If you are just going for a darker version of that colour then you could buy the GW spray gun and some canned air and get Minitaire Ghost Tints (The black one - I forget the name) to darken it. Over a large area you wouldn't need the precision of an expensive airbrush.
This is not a bad idea. Spray guns are a good way to get a nice smooth shade down over flat areas. However, do not buy the gw spray gun. For just a $40 bucks more you can get a kit of amazon that has a full compressor, and two dual action airbrushes and no need to buy another can of propellent ever again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I paint Gundam models, and when I wash and panel line them I usually gloss coat them first, then concentrate the wash only in the recesses. The gloss makes the wash pool only where I want it to. Any cleanup can be done with a cotton swab or a thin brush. There is a tutorial on youtube if you type in "Gundam Panel Line". The same technique can easily be applied to vehicles and such if that's what you mean by large area.

Also you can try Oil Washes. Those can be easily cleaned up. I haven't tried it yet, so Idk how they work. I've seen it done in tut vids tho on awesomepaintjob and buypainted, and it looks awesome. :D

·
Registered
784 Posts
I would go with a "pin" wash or line wash the recesses of the model to darken it up a bit. Using a decent satin or gloss varnish before hand will allow the wash to easily flow into the recesses. From there dampen a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol or a light thinner and wipe off the access on the flat areas.

Then to tie it together go with a "color filter" which is basically similar to a wash but its 8 to 9 parts water and one part wash. Experiment with glaze medium and flow aid which you can get acrylic versions in any art store. I know Vallejo makes a good glaze medium. With a color filter it will be a subtle change and it will allow you to build up the color and prevent streaking. Just take it slow and build up the layers and you should be good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts