Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my friend said he wanted to get into 40k which is cool and i was excited, but then he said he wanted to play the Tau. as you can imagine this was hard for me to take in. My first instinct was to shout out Tau suck, but i chose not to. its just my friend is kinda a soar loser when it comes to games and i know Tau are pretty bad, and their worse when you havent really got tactics down. should i encourage him to stay with Tau or should i try to lead him to another army. if he should stay tau do you guys have any recomendations on good 2500 point lists. My friend has about $1,100 dollars to spend some something along that price range.

·
Registered
488 Posts
"Hey look! It's a Tau Sentinel! And there! A Tau Leman Russ! Go buy those, will you?"

...my only idea.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
"Hey look! It's a Tau Sentinel! And there! A Tau Leman Russ! Go buy those, will you?"

...my only idea.
Hahah! :laugh: Thats what I should have said to my friend! :laugh: Nah, but what the hell is wrong with the Tau? They are great IMO...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing is wrong with Tau they look cool and army wise they are intresting, but they just dont seem to punch. its like every other army in the game is like a 250 pound pro boxer, Tau are more like the 135 pound flower power league. they just dont deliver a hard hitting punch like other armies do. like i played a guy with 15 piranahs, he had tons of shots at S5 but they were only ap5 so they just feathered my troops. also i roll really good he had 30 dice to hits got 16 to wound i have 5 guys in my squad i make 15 out of 16 armor saves. so that is kinda lucky i guess but that happend multiple times. it just seems like tau doesnt have the AP to compete with other armies.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
they just dont deliver a hard hitting punch
Tell that to my friends (Kai`n) Hammerhead! :laugh: You will understand that it hurts to get hit by it! :p

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Your friend has decided to get into 40K and he's planning to spend $1100 dollars on his first army?

Has he actually played any games yet at your local store or whatever?

I'd suggest you show him some websites and more games, and get him to read through the codex before he drops a K on plastic.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its only 1 shot though and the blast weapon is only AP4. they just pop my rhino but my army is shooty to with 12 lascannons and 6 blastmasters.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh he has played with my army multiple times. its not his first time playing he hasnt really commited to buying any but he just sold his car and bought a older car and has like $4,000 extra and he just came up to me and asked me how much my army cost and mines around 1200 dollars so he said hell drop 1k on the game.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
oh he has played with my army multiple times. its not his first time playing he hasnt really commited to buying any but he just sold his car and bought a older car and has like $4,000 extra and he just came up to me and asked me how much my army cost and mines around 1200 dollars so he said hell drop 1k on the game.
I wish I could do that :*(

anyway to a beginner I wouldn't suggest tau as it takes a while to figure out the strategies for the army such as get a unit of kroot infront of your other warriors xD

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea like barriers. only problem their leadership blows. but i guess hell its one more turn that your fire warriors arent getting assualted

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I suggest get him to start of with a much smaller army as a taster, specifically one of the easier to learn and more up to date armies. Yes marines, either conventional or spiky, or orks. Ig need too much cash to be a small starter army. If he can come up with a army to start with that can hold his interest until tau get an update, then splurge on them once they have their balls back. In the meantime he can get the bits of the tau army he likes and do them up ready but I would try to stick to the stuff that won't change much. Fire warrior models should not change much along with pathfinders. Hammerheads, skyrays and devilfish too. Stealth suits should be ok but the battlesuits will get an update because of their well documented ankle problems. I know nothing about kroot and vespid.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
nothing is wrong with Tau they look cool and army wise they are intresting, but they just dont seem to punch. its like every other army in the game is like a 250 pound pro boxer, Tau are more like the 135 pound flower power league. they just dont deliver a hard hitting punch like other armies do. like i played a guy with 15 piranahs, he had tons of shots at S5 but they were only ap5 so they just feathered my troops. also i roll really good he had 30 dice to hits got 16 to wound i have 5 guys in my squad i make 15 out of 16 armor saves. so that is kinda lucky i guess but that happend multiple times. it just seems like tau doesnt have the AP to compete with other armies.
You've been playing the wrong players mate, I've seen Tau crisis suits rip through Plague Marines like they were wearing cardboard. I've seen squads wiped out by submunition shots, and I've lost track of where they're upto in the shooting phase more times than I care to remember.

Thing is, with any army your going to have some good players and some bad players. Clearly you've been facing the bad ones whereas I've been fighting the good ones (if only we could exchange places), but if the Tau are what your friend wants to play, then let him.

Just be a decent guy and help him out in his first few games and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tau are a finesse army and aren't really suitable for beginners but, if he's got his heart set on them then I'd recommend the following 1750 list so that he's got something to take on all-comers.

Shas'o with Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker
8 Crisis Suits with the above
2 x 10 Kroot with 4 or 5 Kroot hounds
6 Fire Warriors
6 Pathfinders with Devilfish (the Warriors jack this)
2 Hammerheads
3 Broadsides with 2 Shield Drones

That'll give you one of the better builds available at 1750 points. Play a few games at lower levels and you'll find your Troops are shocking and you need to keep the Crisis Suits alive as long as possible to stand a chance at winning. Put the Hammerheads out on the flanks and work your way forward.

Its a pity that some of the nicer models are so bad rules-wise that its not advisable to spend lots of money on them. Fire Warriors spring to mind.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Get him to start small with tau. For 500 points for example get 2 devilfish fire warrior squads and a commander suit. Let him find out how the army plays and encourage him to ask people who have used tau armies to help him pick units that can be great. There are loads in the codex. Fire warriors rock, railheads and broadsides make opponents s**t themselves as well as a load of pathfinders.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
For heavens sake have him borrow or buy a codex and then PROXY a few games before dumping that kind of coin into something that may only last a few weeks. Proxy, proxy and proxy. This way if he doesn't like Tau, all he is out is the cost of the codex and he can go a different direction if desired.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea he wants tp run a ton of crisis suits with twin-linked plasma rifles and 4+invuls. with the 2+ armor save, that sounds good right. but yea he is thinking Tau, Khorne, or Eldar.
but he has been putting khorne a lot lately. he has barrowed a players tau codex and we played a proxy game 1500 points i whiped his ass because he didnt give the crisis suits the iridium armor upgrade so my doom sirens hit them with no armor saves so he just used the 4+ invul. it didnt go in his favor 3rd round army kill. ha ha ha chaos rapes got to love rhino blastmaster doom siren spaming. the only thing i hate about tau is disruption pods. but thats awesome if youre a tau player. he is revising his list and we will play again in a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol we played 2 games a 1500 tau crisis suit spam with 4+invul 2+ armor and rapid fire twin linked plasma rifle. i still one i just rapid fired my chosen squad into his suits and killed 1 or 2 every volley and then my lascannons killed his hammerhead the first turn of the game. then the lascannons turned their smoldering rifles at his crisis suits and laid waste he killed a squad of chose and 2 rhinos and a squad of noise marines he killed 1 member of my lascannons squads but the 5th member so i didnt lose a cannon. overall i still slaughter he wasnt happy, the 2nd game he used 2500 khorne list he used lash princes with zerkers and 3 vindicators i beat him but his vindicator lash move killed 1 lascannon team and my chosen but i killed all vindicators by the 4th turn popped his rhinos killed his bezerkers before the could assualt with my doom sirens and then picked the daemon princes off with blast masters.
overall he had fun playing but i think he is seeing Chaos as the true power. he wants to proxy eldar buyt we need to pick up a codex.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
He'll need to be careful with the Eldar. Half the codex can be tricky to use well. (Fast Attack, a few Elites, and a certain HS in mind there)

The key is remembering your Psychic Powers, if you have them. If you don't... Umm, you'll need a bit more luck worked in with your strategy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts