Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I’m new to 40k and right now all I have in terms of models is what comes with the Assault on Black Reach kit and a squad of assault marines. I would like to build a standard tactically flexible Space Marine 1500pt Army before branching out into more experimental or specialized army builds. So I’m thinking of a highly mobile force in which each unit has the capacity to take on infantry or armor, mostly at range, so my cc strength will be some what weak. Here’s what I’m thinking…

• 3x 10 man Tactical Squads w/ ML and Flamer + Rhino = 615pts
  • 2x Predator Tanks w/ TLLC and LC side cannons = 330pts
  • 2x Land Speeders w/ HB & MM = 140pts
  • Terminator Squad + Space Marine Captain w/ Terminator Armor = 340pts.

So far I’m at 1425 with 75 points left. And so I’m considering ether:

• A 3rd Land Speeder
  • A 5 man Scout Squad
  • Adding a 6th Terminator and giving the squad chain fists
  • Giving the rhinos extra armor to make sure they keep moving and giving my Terminators chain fist

I’m not too sold on the Terminator squad just yet, because they’d have to deep strike and then foot slog toward their enemy, and so far I have had great success with my Assault Marines and so for the same point cost I could field a full 10 man squad of Assault Marines (and then the Captain would take a jet pack and power sword instead of the terminator armor.)

And is three Tactical Squads too many or just right?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
There are a lot of really effective builds for Space Marines.... However, what you need for the list is going to depend on how you want them to play. So I don't know if there is a "standard" build... I would start with a big theme... ie, do you want them to be shooty or assault oriented then do some research on the forums...

I know one of the things a guy at my gaming store did was he started at 1k, played some games and very gradually added to his list... Or you can do like I did and just buy what looked cool and then figure out how it all fits later (which is why I have three vindicators that NEVER make it to the table exepct of Apocolypse games)

One bit of advice though... pay a few bucks more for Razorbacks vs Rhinos... You get all the stuff in the Razorback kit to make the rhino plus the additonal guns... and you always need more razorbacks...

Welcome to the board...

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
personally i prefer the TLLC + 2 HB predators - nice anti tank main gun & then 6 dice to throw at infantry &/or an instakill from the lascannon, itd save you another 70 points - which can allow you to use those nice assault marines, and be able to kit them out

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi ya so I looked at your list and been thinking about how you could make your Termi's more mobile without adding a 200 point LR.

Here's the list I came up with with a couple of modifications, i've only been playin about 3 months myself now but thought i'd give it a try.

HQ: 140

Librarian, Termi Armour, Storm Shield with Null Zone + Gate of Infinity

Elite: 230

Terminator Squad 3x SB 1x Assault Cannon/Cyc launcher
Serg PW, SB

Troops: 630

3x Tactical Squad ML, FL Mounted in Razorbacks

Fast Attack: 235

2x LS, MM, HF

Scout Bike squad x 2
Serg wth locator beacon

Heavy: 240

2x Predator AC, LS

Total 1475

With this you still have 25 points left over so you can still add CF's to your Termis, anyway the basic idea is Combat squad your tac squads and have the ML's sit back field raining down death.

Also to make your Termi's more mobile i've dropped the captain in favour of a lib with Gate and added the scout bike squad with the Locator Beacon so basically the scout squad goes flat out round the board providing a jump to point for your terminators + with Locator beacon when your libby gates they won't scatter :grin: .

Anyway hope this helps as said only been playing a few months myself just tried to stick to your build as close as possible while adding mobility to your Termis + Libby over captain not only adds mobility but also brings in my experience so far some much needed psychic protection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Judging by what you first wrote there. Id suggest the rest be put into a scout squad. But thats just me

Also does HB mean Hurricane Bolter? If so that cannot be on a Predator i think. So ignore fallen on that regard.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Also does HB mean Hurricane Bolter? If so that cannot be on a Predator i think. So ignore fallen on that regard.
LOL...HB stands for "heavy bolter" Denied (pun?)

its for sure an expensive option that ive seen many people criticize. in my groups monthly 1000 point games its done very well personally. turn 1 blow up rhino/trukk...turn 2 kill occupants

also ArchangelPaladin you could simply have 1 dakka pred & 1 las pred. simplifies each 1s job

·
Registered
48 Posts
just remember that razorbacks only hold 6 models.

while i've seen the predator annihiliator work well, they are very vulnerable for a 165 point model. i tend towards a land raider to transport my terminators. plus i love that the TLLC can shoot at different targets.

3 x tactical squads is not too much. its all about your style and strategy. our club has most people with 2 troop choices, which puts them at a disadvantage during a capture and control games. i like the third squad but i would upgrade them with better shooty when you get the bits - meltaguns, plasma guns and heavier support.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thats why i said ifi t ment hurricane. didnt see the heavy bolters. My bad :)
(i blame the patron i was drinkin last night haha)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts