Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoy playing aggressive, assault based armies (currently have Chaos Daemons, Dark Eldar, and Blood Angels), and I think Orks look like a lot of fun. My question is, what would a viable, TAC list that includes 2 Battle Wagons and a Warboss in Mega-Armour look like, keeping in mind that I would like to be assault-focused and am playing games vs non-tournament level players?

My copy of the codex has yet to arrive, and I'd like to get some feedback from experienced Warbosses, if you guys are willing

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Well that is like asking 50 different people what they like to drink on a hot day. You will get 50 different answers to what an assault ork army is like. Orks are good in assault no problem there it just depends on how you want the army to be tailored.

You could load up four plus battlewagons and go flying across the boards or a bunch of trukks filled with boyz or you could take an all foot troops army.

I know the Ghazie supplement has the Bully Boy formation that lets you take 5 battlewagons all with scout.

Now for the regular codex you could do something like

warboss in mega armour with the lukky stikk, leading 17 'ard boys with a powerklaw nob and a painboy attached in a battlewagon with a boarding plank is a beast of a unit for the enemy to try and stop. warboss tanks AP3+ on a rerollable 2+ save, and looks-out-sir's, reserve the rerolls for the saves, and if he fails 3 then he dies outright - in addition to being dead! make the painboy mad Doc grotsnik for a real deathstar.

I would load the other battlewagon with another 19 Ard boyz a Nob with a power klaw.

A big mek on a warbike with a Kustom Force field to give the wagons protection.

Then you can flavor as you please

Maybe add another wagon with 4-6 mega armoured nobs

Trukks packed with boys

Trukks or battlewagon with regular nobs in it

a battlewagon full of tankbustas with a few tankhammers

You can have mek guns in support blasting stuff till the boyz arrive to bash stuff up. Deffkoptas and rokkit buggies are also good at doing this.

Stormboyz function just that same as trukkboyz only without the trukk and you can take more than 12 in a group.

Kommandos are good for getting close the enemy quick add boss snikrot and you can show up in their deployment zone.

deff dreads and killa kans with skorchas are good assualt things they just have to walk to get there.

green tide and give the boss the Finking cap and see if he can make the whole army infiltrating.

So tons of stuff you can do it just depends on how you want to customize your army for your play style. Any other questions ask away.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response Morfang, and sorry about the generality of the original post. I don't have the codex yet, but I was aware that 2 battlewagons and a Warboss is a fairly expensive start, so I was second guessing myself.

To be honest, I'm trying to stay away from shooting for the most part, so the bulk of this list will be things that can get forward in a hurry and punch stuff in the face. I find it far more fun to play that way (I've used Tau, and got tired of that shoot-the-crap-out-of-stuff in a hurry), and honestly, with the people I'm playing against, playing melee makes the games more fun to play and more challenging to win.

Would you say that 2 Battlewagons in a 1500 pt list is the upper threshold, or is it viable to go a little higher? I'm trying to balance ride-survivability and unit-hitting-power with threat-number. For example, should I stop at two and use Trukks for the rest of my mobile force?

Also, in your opinion, is 1 unit of Meganobz the max in a reasonable 1500 pt list? I don't know how much they cost, but I imagine it's a heavy points investment, since I recall them having two wounds each to go with their 2+ armour.

I realize that a lot of what I'm asking is based on individual opinion, but I appreciate the input from someone with experience, so thank you for the help:)

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
No worries you are asking questions so that is good.

two battlewagons and a warboss is not that expensive of a start about 350 points. The thing to remember about battlewagons and trukks as well is dedicated transport many units have this option now so it is best to use it since an empty battlewagon takes up a heavy support slot but don't when they are dedicated transports.

I would say experiment with battlewagons and trukks to see what you like. I like battlewagons in my 1500 point list I have 3 sometimes 4 all basic just add a ram and a couple of rokkit launchers and a boarding plank on each but I only need mine to survive 1 to 2 turns till I start bashing stuff. I use the rokkits to pop things like rhinos then the boys charge out to bash up the riders. If the wagon survives passed turn 2 I use it as mobile cover for the boyz, to go vehicle hunting, or shoot at the unit that the riders are about to assault. Sometimes I will put lootas in one so they are protected and can shoot stuff like flyers mainly. I love to put tankbustas in them. I have terrible luck with trukks they die just to quickly for me but my friend uses only trukks like 8 or 9 trukks and is very successful. So I would say try out different things and see what works for you.

Mega nobs with a battlewagon is a points investment. But they are really good at making stuff die. 3 of them can wreck stuff I love them personally. I have 6 mega nobs in my 1850 list.

The trick to speed freaks list is target saturation give your opponent to many things to shoot at. I mix in mine storm boys, rokkit buggies, big meks with shokk attack guns. Sometimes deffkoptas and warbikes.

Another thing to think about is adding the cheap 15 point mek to each unit in the battlewagons. He can make repairs to the battlewagon should it get damaged but also should the unit he is with get challenged have him accept the challenge. This way your warboss or powerklaw nob can bash the regular troops while the uber character beats up a cheap little mek.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you say Deff-Koptas are a good choice for mobile objective grabbing? We usually play a modified form of Maelstrom, and if I remember correctly, Koptas are Jetbikes or something similar. If they are relatively survivable, I'd probably run several units of 1 for grabbing those objectives while the rest of my army goes in for the assault.

350 pts you say... that's alot less than I expected. Maybe Multi-wagon is more viable than I thought. Do Orks have a way of giving their vehicles Move Through Cover or should I be careful about the path I pick when moving up the table?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
deffkoptas are great for mobile objective grabbers that is why I have two of them in my army mainly for that purpose. Like most ork vehicles they are pretty fragile battlewagons are about the only thing that is pretty durable but if you keep them in cover and kind of out of the way they usually get ignored.
Reinforced ram lets you reroll dangerous terrian test but that is about the best we get for our trukks or battlewagons. I can't remember if looted wagons have access to rams as well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A re-roll is certainly better than nothing, especially when mobility is key for the list. As for tactics, do you have any advice for effective Battlewagon use? Facing after movement is key, I realize, as the Front Armour is the only one that presents a challenge

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Well I did make a whole battlewagon tactica but not sure when it will get approved so I will post it here as well.

Battlewagon Tactics

Firstly looking at the Ork BW it's the strongest armour available to the Orks weighing it at 14 on the front and 12 on the side with a much lower 10 at the rear throw in it can hold 20 Orks makes this tank a pretty tough transport unit. As standard you'll notice it is open-topped, you can add a ard case upgrade to this but you shouldn't really do this in so many cases. Reason is having 20 Orks all shoot out from the tank while measuring from the hull is made of win, but secondly Orks can bail out of the BW and assault
If you're going to take Battlewagons take them in multiples just like any Ork unit orks work best in multiples. If you take just one people will know it carries a tough unit and will single it out. But when you've got multiples it just makes target priority and your army tougher in general. Also, when you do take them make sure you take them setup identically the same for the same reasons as above, you have just one with rokkits and it's already clobbered a vehicle already guess where all the anti tank is going? Yeah exactly, on the rokkit Wagon.
As for the Battlewagons themselves Grot Riggers on that many wagons is not needed. When your main goal is to assault, you only need to live for a turn or two, max. The riggers won’t really make a difference there. For the same reason, you don’t need the Meks, either. They work great on a Wagon that is hanging back to shoot, as with Lootas or tankbustas for example, but on an assault boat, keep it as cheap as possible as it is likely to get smoked.
The Transwagon

The transport Battlewagon to me is what the battlewagon is designed to do. It is about using the Battlewagon for what is does and that's carrying buckets of Orks to where they need to be. See the Wagon is better than a Trukk because it's better armour and carries more Orks; 12 Orks don't last 5 minutes even with bosspole and a armour 10 Trukk which is open-topped lasts even less. Ok the Wagon is over double points but it's a lot more strudy and you carry more Boyz, you pay for what you get ;). Also I have terrible luck with trukks but do experiment you may have better luck with them than I have had.

Making a Transwagon is really easy. You need minimum a big shoota or rokkit launcha to asborb the weapon destroyed results or else you'll become immobilised, now for those who think of adding extra big shootas to take the results don't bother, because you can only move 6" and fire one weapon as it's S5. So don't waste the points. After the big shoota it's up to you what you put on, things to consider would be red paint job so you get there a little quicker, but, TBH its only 1" so why waste the points? You could put grot riggers on to get your Wagon rolling again, but you need to roll a 4+ to get your Wagon moving which is 50/50 chance. What you should put on is a boarding plank as this will help the orks inside when you dump them off to assault a unit.
With the big nerf to the deffrolla it is pointless to take them as a reinforced ram with let you reroll difficult terrain test so they are all you need.
The Gunwagon

The Battlewagon can be tooled up in a variety of builds such as a basic transport (which is my favourite) to a gun platform and smashing vehicles close up range.

If you're planning on making a Battlewagon a gun platform firstly consider it's poor ballistic skill which means you want a killkannon for template goodness or kannons or even lobbas too. Anything else you need to take in multiples i.e rokkits and you won't hit all that much. The problem with the gun platform is you're not using the Battlewagons transport ability which you're paying for, so you're wasting the tanks advantages. All in all I probably wouldn't go a gun platform as you need to stay put to fire all weapons and you need templates to avoid the low BS, plus you're not using the transport ability which you're paying for. However, if I did go gun platform I'd do something like this:

Battlewagon - killkannon, 'ard case & lobba.

The example above gives two templates and isn't open topped any more, after all you don't need it as nothing inside it, but this does cost a whooping 165 points and you could use the points on other things. A battlewagon with a ram and a rokkit will run you 120 leaving you 40 points to spend on other things. In case you're wondering why I've put nothing else on it's because of the range and to avoid the Orky BS2. Also the killkannon's short 24 inch range means you have to get close to use it. The lobba is good for using against enemy troops but I would rather just get a Mek gun battery for doing that.
PRo's and Con's
The Lootas or tankbustas in the BW though. They stayed safe and were pumping out fire power. This is the type of unit that goes well with Grot Riggers and Meks as it will be more likely to benefit from the repairs in a war of attrition. Buran boyz are another unit I like to put in a battlewagon I have them hang back and guard the rear but they are also able to run forward and flamer any unit that needs it to fill in any holes as the battle progresses.
Dedicated transports whenever possible take them as a dedicated transport for a unit. Many ork units can take them as a dedicated transport so use it. This way you are not filling up your heavy support slots with battlewagons. This allows you to select other things from the heavy support section.
Con's
The BIG downside to the wagons though, is that with the new Explodes! rules, a big unit of Boyz gets out where the Wagon was, in perfect blast/template formation. You really have to be mindful of that as it will devastate you. You don’t have much wiggle room when getting them out as the footprint of a BW is actually pretty small.
For the points cost you can take three trukks for the price of bare naked battlewagon with nothing on it and still have 5 points left.
Tactics
So you have raced your boys or mega nobs forward and dumped them off. So now what does your wagon do? Just sit there and wait to see if the boys need a ride? There are a couple of different things you can do with it. I look at a couple of different things. Most ork players that use battlewagons race them up near the unit they want the boyz to beat up and dump them off. The boyz wipe out the unit then get shot up or assaulted by a nearby unit. A tactic I took from a dark eldar player was to park my battlewagon in the way of nearby units. This gives the boys protection and makes the opponent chose to shoot up or assault the battlewagon or go around the battlewagon. Either way this usually will keep the boys protected for another turn. Also look to see if what the boys are assaulting is a transport. I use the rokkits on the battlewagon to pop the transport then the boys to assault the troops inside. If what the boys are assaulting is not a transport look for other things for the wagon to shot at if it should survive that long. Like I said I only expect them to survive a turn or two.
Another tactic I use from marine players is mobile cover. If the boys are sitting on an objective I park the battlewagon to block the line of sight from the nearest enemy unit because I want them to shot or assault the battlewagon before assaulting my boyz and always when possible try to face the front at the enemy to get the AV 14 advantage but the side AV 12 is also pretty good and gives a good cover to the boyz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts