Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get Tyranids to work for a long, long time. The builds I've run just don't stand up to my meta's Tau/Eldar nonsense. This is the best I've come up with, but I'm a little worried about its board presence.

Flyrant, devs 230
Flyrant, devs 230
3x Hive Guard, impaler cannons 165
3x Hive Guard, impaler cannons 165
1x Malanthrope 85
Mucolid Spore Cluster 15
Mucolid Spore Cluster 15
Mawloc 140
Mawloc 140
3x Biovores 120
Imperial Bunker, comms, 2x barricades 95
Skytyrant swarm (Flyrant w boneswords, old adversary, 20x goyles) 350

The plan is to set up the barricades in such a way that the bunker gets a 4+ then 2+ cover save, as well as give some starting cover for the hive guard before they advance up, if there's a lack of LoS blocking terrain. the biovores sit on top of the bunker, and the malanthrope inside it. Mucolids deep strike in (acting as overwatch absorbers and shot absorbers). The big problems I have are with people cowering behind the ADL and just sitting and shooting, which leads to obnoxious cover saves and corner camping. I figure the Hive Guard's ignores cover and mawloc's large blast should deter people from clumping behind the ADL. The issue with the board presence is there will be times when the Mawlocs are in ongoing reserve, and the Hive Guard will be out of LoS, so the only real targets would be the flyrants or the bunker, and I feel like the flyrants are already high priority. The things I have to be able to get rid of fast are 1) markerlights 2) skyrays 3) serpent shielded vehicles 4) dug in infantry.

Thoughts?
-Arcticor

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Have you considered the Biovore Living Node? Reerollable large blast barrage out to sort out some cover-campers behind ADLs in a hurry, rather than just the 3 normally. Yeah, you have to include some... Warriors, I think, but still--eh, more synapse tax.

The Hive Guards' Ignores Cover is tempting and all, but... I dunno if you can justify the points for BS3. Perhaps, say, a Dakkafex in a Tyrannocyte, dropping in behind the ADL/hitting Wave Serpent rear AV 10?

If your enemies aren't fielding a solid amount of AA or flyers themselves, it would be hard to face down the air superiority you have going here with 3 Flyrants. What sort of issues do you run into with those? Since, honestly, whenever I face down Flyrants with my AA-thin CSM, they wreck my day... are we talking Crimson Hunters, or more like, uh, Tau Skyfire shenanigans? If we could eliminate the Pathfinders giving markerlights/the things with Skyfire right quick with shooting, that might be less of an issue...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the Living Artillery Node seems quite tempting. What normally happens with my regular opponent is he'll use an ADL and stick it in a corner, and fill the whole thing with his army so I physically can't drop in behind it as there's no board space and can't get shots off at his rear AV. He'll put things like pathfinders in area terrain that's also behind the ADL so he gets cover from barrage weaponry as well. He never fields any fliers, we're talking Tau markerlit tau skyrays and ADLs. Its a struggle, so I need to be able to spread him out or just flat out ignore his cover.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Go full troll and take a trio of Pyrovores in a Tyrannocyte?

Hehehe, sorry, can't say it with a straight face.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
So well, i'd take:

Flyrant, devs 230
Flyrant, devs 230

Skytyrant swarm (Flyrant w boneswords, old adversary, 20x goyles) 350

Mawloc 140
Mawloc 140

3 deepstriking ripper bases
(123)

mucolid spore
mucolid spore
mucolid spore
(45)

3 spores
4 spores
4 spores
(55)

3 Biovores
3 biovores
3 biovores
(360)

Imperial bunker + comm array
(75)

At least, i'd try this out. 9 biovores can really ruin your day. also, all that mucolids are going to hurt someone! spores are there as a nuisance, they can go away and let in a venomotrope. rippers can be used as fancy objective grabbers/ linebreakers. also, never underestimate their tarpitting prowess. if you feel kinky, remove them and take 8 mucolid spores....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts