Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I've just recently started playing 40K and totally fell in love with the Deathwing. After looking through forums and doing some reading I've come up with this DW list. What do you guys think? Any comments and criticism would be appreciated!

HQ (335pts)

Belial (190pts)
Iron Halo, Storm Bolter and Sword of Silence, Teleport Homer, Terminator Armour

Librarian (145pts)
Psyker Level 1 (Mastery Level 1)
Terminator Armour
Force Stave, Lion's Roar, Power Field Generator, Storm Bolter

Troops (1015pts)

Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (260pts)
Cyclone Missile Launcher, 4x Deathwing Terminators, No Transport, 3x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield
Deathwing Terminator Sgt
Storm Bolter and Power Sword

Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (500pts)
Assault Cannon, 2x Chainfist, Cyclone Missile Launcher, 9x Deathwing Terminators, No Transport, Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield
Deathwing Terminator Sgt

Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (255pts)
Cyclone Missile Launcher, 4x Deathwing Terminators, No Transport, 2x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield
Deathwing Terminator Sgt

Fast Attack (150pts)

Ravenwing Support Squadron (150pts)
Land Speeder
Heavy Bolter, Typhoon Missile Launcher
Land Speeder

The general plan is to deploy the plasma cannon squad with the typhoons in my backfield for fire support, attach Belial and the libby (PRESCIENCE!) to the 10 man squad and DS them turn one for alpha strike goodness (No need for TH/SS as the PFG would give them 4++). The last 5 man DW squad would either deploy in the backfield to hold objectives and provide long range support, or use Belial's teleport homer for a second turn of vengeful strike.
Again, comments and criticism most welcome! I'm aware its not all that viable a list but I love the Deathwing! So... what's important is to have fun modelling and playing the game aye? :grin:

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
HQ (335pts)

Belial (190pts)
Iron Halo, Storm Bolter and Sword of Silence, Teleport Homer, Terminator Armour

Librarian (145pts)
Psyker Level 1 (Mastery Level 1)
Terminator Armour
Force Stave, Lion's Roar, Power Field Generator, Storm Bolter
Woah woah woah, way too many points in HQ. At 1500, you can only really afford Belial. Deathwing are perilously low model count already; putting over 20% of your army in 2 T4 characters without Eternal Warrior can only end badly.

Troops (1015pts)

Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (260pts)
Cyclone Missile Launcher, 4x Deathwing Terminators, No Transport, 3x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield
Deathwing Terminator Sgt

Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (500pts)
Assault Cannon, 2x Chainfist, Cyclone Missile Launcher, 9x Deathwing Terminators, No Transport, Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield
Deathwing Terminator Sgt

Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (255pts)
Cyclone Missile Launcher, 4x Deathwing Terminators, No Transport, 2x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield
Deathwing Terminator Sgt
Split that middle squad into 2, there's no reason not to - they have the same killing capacity, just more flexibility (I advise this for most units, and Terminators in particular - you have the survivability and model count as not to be worried as much about KP). I'd change to this:

5 Deathwing Terminators
Cyclone Missile Launcher, 4x Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield

5 Deathwing Terminators

5 Deathwing Terminators
Cyclone Missile Launcher, Chainfist

5 Deathwing Terminators

Because at the moment, horde armies will more often than not walk right over you.

Fast Attack (150pts)

Ravenwing Support Squadron (150pts)
Land Speeder
Land Speeder
Do not like. The points removed between this and the Terminator Librarian let you take another Deathwing Squad (I'd find the points to make it a Command Squad with the Standard of Fortitude to essentially give every squad an Apothecary. This'd help with the whole anti-horde thing as you can concentrate your 25 Terminators in a small area of board to get the Banner bonus and force the enemy to reposition.)

Midnight

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!

I see your point about the too many points in HQ. My original intent was just to put the libby in for prescience and the PFG. The libby and Belial would go hand in hand with the 10 man squad for assured turn 1 alpha strike (9 storm bolter shots, 1 CML, 1 assault cannon twin linked and split fire all with 4++ EXACTLY where I want it). Splitting the 10 man squad into 2 would just lead to random scatter unless you advocate them coming in the turn after Belial to take advantage of his teleport homer. I think that's a little risky as I either have a chance of scattering all over the place or if Belial and his squad get shot off the board I'm pretty much boned.

Unless I take Belial and his command squad with the banner of fortitude with TH/SS and use that to reliably DS the remaining termies next turn? 3 TH/SS with FnP should be able to last a turn at least.

As to the 'all 25 DW in a small corner of the board', forgive me if I read the rules wrongly, but with the latest FAQ I can no longer DWA all my termies? I have to start with at least 50% of my squads on the table. So at least 2 squads will be stuck doing objective duty in my back field. I'll only be able to get 15 termies max in my opponent's side.

Thanks again for the quick reply! Apologies in advance if I'm making stupid assumptions/read the rules wrong. I'll definitely do up a list with your recommendations to try though! :grin:

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Deep Strike scatter isn't really a big problem for most Terminators - since you've got Assault Weapons AND Relentless, you're just as effective at 24" away as at 6" away, but subject yourself to far fewer shots at such range (no Rapid Fire I know of can double tap at 24"). Assault Terminators are a bit trickier, but the average scatter is just 7" which is pretty easy to compensate for. However, it's probably a better idea to split like so: the 2 squads with Hammers and Shields at the edge of your deployment zone (both deployed in a close formation) alongside the Terminator Command Squad (to give you extra survivability if you get Seized or plain lose the roll-off to go first). Then bring in the 2 little squads and Belial via Deathwing Assault on turn 1, at the edge of the 12" FnP bubble. This'd give you only 1 squad scattering.

Midnight

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For 1500 points I can't squeeze in 4 squads of CML terminators with the banner of fort CMD squad even with just 1 HQ.

5 Deathwing Terminators

5 Deathwing Terminators

5 Deathwing Terminators

5 Deathwing Terminators

Belial

Is already 1215 points. Leaves me with 285 points to play with. I can either add a banner-less cmd squad tooled out to be choppy or another DW squad. Alternatively I could try to remove a couple of CMLS for heavy flamers/PCs to squeeze in the points for the DW banner. The fort banner at 85 points is just too expensive.
What do you think?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Looks good, yeah. In that case, I'd 'upgrade' one of the squads with Hammers and Shields to a Command Squad (so you can take 5 sets of Hammers/Shields rather than be left with a Storm Bolter/Power Sword Sergeant) and take another shooty squad (250pts, Cyclone Missile Launcher and Chainfist). This leaves you 35pts, so you could go with taking 1 Cyclone down to a Plasma Cannon and take the Deathwing Banner.

Midnight

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Belial

Deathwing Command Squad
Deathwing Banner, Deathwing Champion, 4x Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield

5 Deathwing Terminators

5 Deathwing Terminators

5 Deathwing Terminators
Assault Cannon, Chainfist

5 Deathwing Terminators

1500 points exactly. I could swap around a few shields to change the heavy weapons of each squad but thats the general list. How would you deploy them? I need to deploy at least 2 squads on the field due to the new DWA FAQ. Deploy the CML squads to hold objectives and Deep Strike the remaining squads for a turn 1 alpha strike?

Also, would replacing the DW Cmd squad with a unit of Deathwing Knights be better if I want to be tankier/more smashy? Sure I lose the banner, but it frees up more points and Knights are better at CC...

Thanks for all your help Midnight! Really appreciate it. :grin:

·
Fallen One
41 Posts
Dirrian I am doing a very similar 1500 pt build using Knights instead of command, after a match or two I will let you know how it goes. Ive always been a Knight fan, even though some people do not like to use them :)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Belial

Deathwing Command Squad
Deathwing Banner, Deathwing Champion, 4x Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield

5 Deathwing Terminators

5 Deathwing Terminators

5 Deathwing Terminators

5 Deathwing Terminators
I like it. I really want to take out the Chainfists to take the Assault Cannons up to Cyclones, but you need that anti-AV14 power, so leave them as is. Belial could go with any wargear, to be honest, so fair enough, but I'd give him the Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield and put him with the Command Squad.

Also, would replacing the DW Cmd squad with a unit of Deathwing Knights be better if I want to be tankier/more smashy? Sure I lose the banner, but it frees up more points and Knights are better at CC...
If you really wanted to, but what do you spend the extra 50pts on? Upgrade the Assault Cannons to Cyclones and then... take a Perfidious Relic and Chainfists? The Banner adds synergy as well, especially in such an Inner Circle-orientated list.

Thanks for all your help Midnight! Really appreciate it. :grin:
That's what I'm here for. That and hunting Fallen.

Midnight

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Since I cannot field all my terminators in DWA and I have to deploy some, I was thinking if I replaced one squad with 2 dreads and a techmarine. List would be something like

Belial TH/SS

Deathwing Cmd Squad
Champion, Fortitude banner, 4x TH/SS, CML

Deathwing Terminator Squad (5)
2x TH/SS, CML

Deathwing Terminator Squad (5)
2x TH/SS, CML

Venerable Dreadnought
TL Autocannon, TL Autocannon

Venerable Dreadnought
TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher

Techmarine
Servoharness, PFG

There's quite a lot of latitude with this list. Stable firebase with the dreads, 3 squads of DW termies DSing turn 1 or 2....

Possible points to swap around -
Can remove servoharness and PFG on techmarine as he can make a 5+ cover a 4+ which equates to PFG anyways
Make hellfire dread rifleman dread and save a few points, take away the venerable upgrade (BS 5 might not be all that worth it since it's TL autos anyway)
Strip out techmarine entirely and save 100ish points which equates to 2 TH/SS Deathwing terminators
Swap out the FnP banner for DW standard
Trade the techmarine and DW cmd squad for almost 2 Deathwing squads

What do you guys think? Is having a stable long ranged firebase of 2 dreads a good trade for a Deathwing terminator squad?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Standard of Fortitude not worth it at only 15 Terminators and 1500pts, in my opinion. Trade it for the Deathwing Standard, or remove the Standard completely and save points. I'd take the PFG on the Techmarine as it gives the Dreadnoughts maneuverability - they can essentially take the cover with them with the Generator. I would, however, go for Predator Destructors instead now that you have the points spare from dropping the Big Banner. The AV13, combined with a 4++, is very hardy, and they'll put out more anti-infantry which is what the list really needs.

Midnight

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True. Thanks for the insights as usual Midnight! But Predators aren't really a fluffy choice for a DW list. I intend to try working within the confines of fluff. Otherwise I'd be fielding Black knights and techmarines on bikes with PFGs behind LRCs. Heh.

But you have an excellent point on the banner of fort being not worth it for just 15 terminators. Just make it a killy choppy squad with Belial. With so many TH/SS in the unit would it be better to go for SoS/SB?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Nah, the things you're throwing Hammernators at will usually be too tough to go down to the Sword - the main things you want these guys to kill are Tyranid Warriors (ignore all armour, pseudo Force Weapons), other guy's Terminators (2+ saves), Meganobz (2+ saves), Nobz (4+/5++ FnP, 2 wounds each, Power Klaws), and Monstrous Creatures that haven't gone down to the Cyclone Missile Launchers (to be fair, the Fleshbane would be cool here but the really scary ones either go at the same time or ignore your AP3 anyway).

Midnight

1 - 13 of 13 Posts