Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to make a 1000 points army. Of course I want to be able to win games with it, but it doesn't have to be competitive at all. Primarily, I want a list that I easily can work more with and expand in the future. I'm quite new to the hobby so I figured I wanted some advice before I got started.

Currently I own: 10 Dire Avenger, 5 rangers, a farseer and a wave serpent. In all, these are roughly 500 points. Next I am probably getting 3 war walkers, planning to use scatter lasers on them. But after that I am very unsure, for various reasons I don't want any jetbikes or vypers (yet). Could fire dragons and a falcon be ideal? When I get some replies I will make a more detailed list with wargear, and point costs and such.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Beautiful opening list. All of these are fantastic models to use, and three war walkers is a good investment.

Fire dragons and a falcon are fine, or alternately fire dragons and another wave serpent. It depends on how quickly you'll stay around with just those guys to field.
Taking 5-6 dragons and sticking them in a falcon gives you all your anti-tank in smaller games. However, as your lists get larger you'll usually want your dragons in serpents (which fire better* than falcons at cruising speed, and deal better with close proximity to melta), while your falcons stay at a breezy 36-48", unloading full firepower each round.

*falcons always have two weapons, sometimes three. They can only fire one at cruising speed, so you're wasitng points.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, this is what I came up with:

HQ

Farseer with singing spear and guide 78

Elites

5xFire Dragons 80

Troops

10xDire Avengers; exarch with diresword, bladestorm and defend 172
5xPathfinders 120
10xGuardiens with shuriken canon 85

Heavy Support
3xwar walkers, scatter lasers 180

Transport

2XWave Serpent with EML, shurken canon and spirit stones 140

Sum 995

What do you think? I figured I had some spare points so I added some guardians, an extra troop choice could come in handy. Is the Dire Avenger squad too expensive?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Couple things.

Dire Avengers diresword is a TRAP str3 power weapon is BAD. U will want dual cats ALWAYS and also lose defend since they should never get in assult.

Question where is the Farseer going into dragons or dire avengers??
If avengers doom more beneficial. However i am guessing goes in dragons ridde and does first turn guide on the war walkers??

Shuri Cannon on guardian defenders not that great mainly due to 24 inch range. Rather take scatter laser fore one more shot and extra 12 inch range Giving u more ability to sit back and hold objectives with them and take some pot shots at light transports.

Thats about it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Could this work?

HQ
Farseer with singing spear, runes of warding and guide 93

Elites
5xFire Dragons 80

Troops
10xDire Avengers; exarch with two shuriken catapults, and bladestorm 152
5xPathfinders 120
10xGuardiens with scatter laser 95

Heavy Support
3xwar walkers with scatter lasers 180

Transport
2XWave Serpent with EML, shurken canon and spirit stones 140

Sum 1000

Question: If I guide my war walkers, will one model or the entire squadron receive the rerolls?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The hold squad gets guide. I do not have my codex in front of me but see if you can exchange the SCannons off your WS for spirit stone and doom on your farseer. I think this will help alot. Your ws should be moving 12" a turn so you only get one weapon to shoot unless you are shooting frags out of your EML. Don't forget when push comes to shove you can ram with them as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No, keep the pathfinders. I'd almost rather you dropped the guardian squad and the farseer and then shaved a few points somewhere to make room for eldrad. Expensive, but a god among space elves. (...call him Aldred, the famous Altansar seer. Remember, your opponent chanting 'cheese!' at the top of his voice is music to your ears.)
However, when it comes to shaving that last 15 or so points off, there aren't great choices. Personally, I'd keep the shuricannons over the spirit stones on the serpents, but it's a tough call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts