Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just getting into 40 k and after doing some research i think ive come up with a list. I would love a second opinion before i buy the models .

HQ
Librarian
-Melta bombs(extra 5 points)
ATTACHED TO<-----TROOPS
Tactical squad x10
-plasma gun
-Multi-Melta---235 points

Tactical squad x10
-Plasma gun
-Multi-Melta---165 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
Thunderfire cannon---100 points

for a total of 500 points.
keep in mind this is my first list any and all feed back would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
its ok.. but youll probably find the multi melta not really doing much.. i would suggest ether a rocket luncher or plasma cannon..at least it will give you move blast to dealt with hordes at this point level..they are the bigger threat..not to many vehiles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok what if i switched the hq squad to a flamer and a plasma cannon and then the second tac squad to plasma gun and plasma cannon.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Honestly at 500 Pt's running heavy support is not even an option for me. id suggest dropping the Thunderfire cannon for a scout squad in a LS Storm. Troops for holding objectives above all at this level

Keeping the one of the plasma guns would not be a bad idea nor would taking a flamer as your second option. Keep in mind your sergeant can also take a combi weapon (as can your librarian for that matter) if you need to kill a vehicle really quickly. however at 500 pts a krak missle will do the job on almost any AV that your opponent decides to roll out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so heres my revised list
HQ
Librarian with a storm bolter- 70
TROOPS
Tac squad with a flamer and plasma cannon- 160(Librarian attached)
Tac squad with plasma gun and plasma cannon-160
Scout squad in a land speeder-100 points

for a total of 500

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
drop the storm bolter on the libby..youll want him using his psyker powers which are mostly in his shooting phase..go with wither pyromancy or telepathy..psychic shreek is pretty good

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I would suggest dropping the plasma cannons as well and taking missle launchers you have AT and anti infantry all in one go and the weapon doesn't get hot (or scatter if you shoot Krak). then spending any extra points (if you can) to upgrade the Libby. 2 powers per turn is nothing to shake a stick at.

·
Registered
113 Posts
same opinion as swede, drop the plasma cannons get missile launchers and try to get level 2 libby (dont use pyromancy though, its garbage)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok if i drop the flamer and plasma gun i can do both tac squads with missle launchers and a lvl 2 librarian

·
Registered
113 Posts
that seems like a good idea

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
500 point SM 3rd draft
HQ
librarian lvl 2
TROOPS
tac squad x10
missle launcher
tac squad x10
missle launcher
scout squad
Land speeder
for 500 points

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
same opinion as swede, drop the plasma cannons get missile launchers and try to get level 2 libby (dont use pyromancy though, its garbage)
what an ignorant thing to say! especially to a new player. pyromancy is not garbage..as with anything it all depends on the tactics you plan to use with it. i have had great success with it. as with plasma cannons..

there are great opportunities to be made by taking unit thats and weapons theat other people say are bad..explore them, build your tactics and stategy and you will win most games due to the fact people will not expect what you bring.

this is a major problem with the game..don t fall into the same trap be inventive...but most of all play your own style and have fun

·
Registered
285 Posts
"this is a major problem with the game..don t fall into the same trap be inventive...but most of all play your own style and have fun" -fatmanits

Seconded. The game is meant to be fun, so make sure you enjoy playing. It will take you some time to figure out what your play style is and what you like, but don't be afraid to try different things out (you might what to by that Cannon just to mess around with for example). That being said, it's a solid list and will win you some games. Just remember that you will lose too (the dice gods can be cruel), so enjoying what your playing with is always important. Welcome to 40k!

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Personally, I like the first list the best of the three.

At five hundred points your going to struggle to get a lot of great things into a list, but you easily have more than enough room to get several and find out what you like or what works.

Right now you have ten man squads toting a single heavy weapon; those two missile launchers have to work pretty hard to pay back nearly 60% of your points.

Unlike lokyar and SwedeMarine I am going to advise against making the librarian level two. Its a nice powerboost, especially in lower points, but right now those points can be better spent elsewhere.

For your troops, I suggest removing one of the tactical squads completely, possibly picking up a heavy bolter on the scouts (to give them a little more punch) and knock the second tactical squad down to five strong, give them a flamer, and hook them up with a heavy bolter razorback for another heavy weapon and some armour to focus some of your opponents attention (also a power weapon on the tactical sergeant since the flamer would bring you close enough to use it.)

Doing that puts you at 318, enough remaining points to run a five strong devestator squad with three missile launchers (now your at 433.)

You now have enough points remaining to:
-Get a sixth marine and second razorback for the devestator squad (502)
-Take a bike squad armed with two flamers or one meltagun (506, 498 if the scout heavy bolter is dropped)
-Have a land speeder with two heavy bolters, a heavy flamer and multi melta, or typhoon missile launcher (493, 503, and 508 respecitvely; scout heavy bolter dropping may apply)
-Upgrade the librarian to level two, make your tactical sergeant a veteran, give the razorback a different heavy weapon, and give the storm either heavy weapon upgrade (498 and 508 respectively, wow these suggestions do not like the scout heavy bolter.)

Alternatively, if you drop the devestator squad and scout heavy bolter you have enough points for a devestator centurion team (might be better saved for 750 or 1000 points though.:p)

Finally, for librarian powers I will echo fatmantis for pyromancy or telepathy. They both offer you some decent choices at this point level, as does biomancy if you plan on putting the librarian through his paces in close combat.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
this is a major problem with the game..don t fall into the same trap be inventive...but most of all play your own style and have fun
Yeah i probably Should have caveated with "thats what I would bring". not what you should bring. Its important to remember to have fun above all. and there is no "right or Wrong" list to bring

1 - 15 of 15 Posts