Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello heretics.

After countless attempts, I still have problems painting white. What I'm doing after reading ways to do it is by starting with grey and building up to white. It's all fine until I get to the white part, and it always comes out streaky, and generally crap. I wanna paint up some Iron Snakes, and I need it for the shoulder pads and sergeants helmets.

thanks for any help

Jack

·
Registered
107 Posts
Make sure that your paint is thin enough to go on smooth, apply in many layers, and allow enough time for the layers to fully dry. that should help with the streaks. I've been painting some Black Templars and it takes me four or five thin coats of white on top of the grey until it looks crisp and smooth

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basically use dheneb stone, then use thinned skull white, applying around 5-6 layers? how thinned should the paint be ideally? or is that entirely up to me?

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
I would say a bit thicker than milk, but not by a lot. Its really hard to say. The key is to put on a layer and let it sit and dry. If you don't you will streak through the old layer when putting on the new one.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah that may have been my biggest flaw, I'm not very patient when it comes to drying paint lol

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
So basically use dheneb stone, then use thinned skull white, applying around 5-6 layers? how thinned should the paint be ideally? or is that entirely up to me?
I think LTP meant add white paint to the dheneb stone.

So paint 1 layer dheneb stone, 1 layer 80:20 dheneb/white, 1 layer 70:30 and then keep going until the white is as bright as you'd like it to be.

I may well be wrong, but that method makes sense to me.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that what you meant LTP?
That does make sense. I can always try both. So far my experimental Iron snake is coming out pretty fit, but haven't started the white yet...

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and Varakir, how do you paint your Salamanders if you don't mind me asking? I plan to paint a squad or two of them as well along the way, and instead of me starting a whole new thread, thought I would just ask you seeing as your sali's are freakin' awesome!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
heh, thanks very much :blush:

I've painted them about 6 different ways so far, i like to try out different techniques as i go along. I mostly use the same colours though.

Prime Black

Green - snot green layered up to scorpion green

Black - Chaos black layered up with bleached bone, and BB highlights

Gold - Charred brown base, burnished gold highlighted with a mix of mithril silver and washed with chesnut ink.

Shoot me a pm if you want more detail, and good luck with your sallies :)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does layer up mean adding the other paint to the previous mixture again and again? So like you said with dheneb stone and white, start at like 80:20, then 60:40 etc ?

And thanks for the other mate, will definately take you up on that when I start some :victory: :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Does layer up mean adding the other paint to the previous mixture again and again? So like you said with dheneb stone and white, start at like 80:20, then 60:40 etc ?
Yup that's it. Leave the darker colours showing through on the shaded areas and use the lighest layer on the highlight areas to give a smoother sense of depth. Wraithlord has put up a really nice tutorial on the forum which describes layering much more thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think LTP meant add white paint to the dheneb stone.

So paint 1 layer dheneb stone, 1 layer 80:20 dheneb/white, 1 layer 70:30 and then keep going until the white is as bright as you'd like it to be.

I may well be wrong, but that method makes sense to me.
Yup that is indeed what i meant. sorry if i didnt explain it clearly enough.

:)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers guys, currently painting my first 'experimental' Iron Snake, I'll let you know how it goes - hopefully be able to scram a camera from somewhere for pics lol.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
first iron snake :)

Just incase you guys wanted to see how the test model came out, here he is!
Soon-to-be squad shot

And now the test model!

The white came out massively better than I would have expected. I'm not sure whether LTP or Varakir said to add a bit of water, but I did to the final coat as I was getting minor streaks, and that seemed to erase that problem! All in all I'm very happy with it. Never painted these colours like this before either.

Only thing I'm not sure on is whether I should dull him a bit more. If I do, anyone have any tips?
If you wanna know, or would like to know before you offer any advise, this is what I used...

For Main Body
Basecoat tin bitz
2xlight drybrush boltgun metal
Wash of badab black
light drybrush of mithril silver

For the red trim

Layer up using slightly watered down mechrite red and blood red, increasing blood red each time

And for the white I did what you guys said

For the chest plate
Basecoat Dwarf bronze
wash with gryphonne sepia
light drybrush burnished gold.
(Not sure on this, what do you guys do?

anyway plus rep to you peoples xD (varakir can't give you rep yet gotta spread it round first :( )

·
Registered
22 Posts
The best way I have found to do white is a bit intense but you end up with a bright and luminous white.

Shadow gray base
1:1 shadow gray / SW gray Layer
SW gray Layer
1:1 SW gray/ Skull white Layer
Skull white Layer/Highlight

Hope this helps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts