Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well basicly i know very little about 40k but ive got a small army of space marines, and decided "hey wuold'nt it be a great idea to make my own chapter" so ive got "The crimson guard" as you can guess there painted red.
from the space marine codex ive decided on the traits of this chapter however i lack the knowledge of the 40k universe to write a succesful background however i was thinking something along the lines of:

during the hourus heresy the crimson guard decided they needed more troops and with comunication being jammed they decided to go back to there homeworld (not a clue what to call it) in person only to find that it was under seige so instead of gathering troops they ended up reinforcing the defenders... after a few years seige city after city fell untill only the captal remained (again dont know what to call it) and with the rest of the plantet infested with hordes of tyranids outside the gates they decided to flee to another world

sory for bad spelling, if you think this is a good idea and have some improvements or knowledge to help or you think this is pathetic and have a better iea i could use, ANY help IS appreciated
thanks in advance David

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Comments in red
well basically I know very little about 40k but I've got a small army of space marines, and decided "hey wouldn't it be a great idea to make my own chapter" so I've got "The crimson guard" as you can guess there painted red.
From that name it might be a good idea to have them as Crimson Fist successors. Basic info on Crimson Fists are they don't like Orks after the Ryan world massacre or something like that..
from the space marine codex I've decided on the traits of this chapter however i lack the knowledge of the 40k universe to write a successful background however i was thinking something along the lines of:
What traits? It would help.
during the Horus heresy the crimson guard decided they needed more troops and with communication being jammed they decided to go back to there homeworld (not a clue what to call it) in person only to find that it was under siege so instead of gathering troops they ended up reinforcing the defenders... after a few years siege city after city fell until only the capital remained (again don't know what to call it) and with the rest of the planet infested with hordes of tyranids outside the gates they decided to flee to another world
There were few if any pre-Heresy chapters apart from the 20 legions.
So it was under siege by 'nids? They only arrived about 10,000 years post-heresy. They would probably virus bomb the world before leaving too.
Sorry for bad spelling, if you think this is a good idea and have some improvements or knowledge to help or you think this is pathetic and have a better idea i could use, ANY help IS appreciated
thanks in advance David

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok then so the crimson guard are the succesors of the crimson fists, but instead of 'nids attacking the home world it would be orks
the traits of this divergant chapter
2 advantages are :
honor your wargear (take devstator squads as elites and/or heavy support must take tank hunter or infiltrate skill at 3 pts per model)
be swift as the wind (may take bike squadrons as elites and must have tank hunter or furious charge any taken as troops must be atleast 5 models strong and may take skilled rider at 2pts per model.

minor disadvantage
death before dishonour (oppenent rolls d6 at end of a game on 4+ another turn is played)

major disadvantage
flesh over steel (may only take 0-1 selection in total from: land raider, predator destructor, whirlwind, vindicator... may not take land raider crusader or predator annihilator each transport option used counts as a fast attack on force organisation)

reasons for picking theese:

honour your wargear because i thought it would have a massive morale benifit to know just down the line is a big gun ready to blo apart anything hat come this way (although this morale benifit isn actualy reflected in the game)
be swift as the wind: I REALY like the space marine bike :grin:
death before dishonour this chapter is tired of fleeing twice now have they left major offences when they could have held their ground (and probably died)
flesh over steel because they left their home world in such a rush they left most of the heavyer wargear on their homeworld... the tanks took too long to load on to the transports so they just left it behind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i dont really know that mutch either.

for my space marines army (currently unnamed ) i was thinking that thier homeworld was taken over by chaos and they basically spent hundreds of years planning and carrying out small attacks at night, killing hundreds of chaos before the chaos even knew they were being attacked. the chaos decided to leave the planet as they had captured all the surrounding it then they destroyed the planet, the few marines who escaped repeated the attacks at night on the other planets taken by chao, they kill chaos because they want revenge because chaos destroyed thier homeworld, there are only say 2-3 companys left so the chapter is dying........... thats all ive got. oh, and any chapter name ideas would be appreciated. thanks. and i hope i helped. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
hey I posted on this! Wheres it gone? Anyway, how about Telgaris as a name for your homeworld?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
hmmmmmmmm daring midnight raids sound fun, as for chapter names you should go for something suggesting that your chapter is dieing like gaunts ghosts (tanith first and only a group of novels by dan abnet and the black library) but put a twist on it so it could be the howling banshee's but banshees are female, or...*few moments thinking*... the (fill in colour of army) specters... which is a sort of ghost.
telgaris is a cool name did you just make it up or does it have a meaning?

thanks for all the help

p.s. Amat victoria curam - Victory favors those who take pains (its latin would it be ok to use it as a motto or put it on the banner, what do u think?)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My try at your history.

Name: The Crimson Guard
Founded: when do you want?
Chapter founded from: Crimson Fists
Homeplanet: Telgaris
Traits: Honour your wargear, be as swift as the wind (or preferred enemy Orks), Flesh over steel, death before dishonour (or faithful until death)
Motto:Amat victoria curam
History: Early in the 41 millennia the Crimson Guard needed new recruitment and with communication being jammed by warp storms they decided to go back to their homeworld in person only to find that it was under attack by a great Waagh of Orks. Unable to recruit they ended up reinforcing the PDF (planetary defence force)... after a few years of siege city after city fell, as the warp storm still continued, until only the capital remained, with the remains of the near-destroyed population and only 2 companies of marines. With the rest of the planet infested with hordes of Orks outside the gates a miraculous break in the warp storm occurred.They decided to have a mass evacuation to another world, stopping only to purge the xenos with the sole remaining virus bomb.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i would go with thomas2's idea sounds good to me. if you want ideas check out the fluff on my new sea dragons chapter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok but i have allready converted some of my space marines to have trophies of tyranids
however i was thinking if the crimson fists hate orks then the crimson guard could hate tyranids and then in a few years (when ive got some more experiance) i could create another chapter of the same origin who hate eldar/ dark eldar together hating xenos in general, so i was also thinking if there is a warp storm blocking comunication and theres a 10,000 year gap before the tyranids apear why cant there be some freakish time loop by some evil chaos sourceror so what seemed like a few days (repeated over and over without them knowing) so when the mystic powers fade and the storm ends they pop out 10,000 years in the future (basicly the same as my original story but with the gap in the middle filled in)

Founded: during horus herecy/ 10,000 years after that which ever way you look at it
Traits: Honour your wargear, preferred enemy 'nids, Flesh over steel, death before dishonour (or faithful until death)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
OK a 'nid version of what i did.

Founded: when do you want?
Traits: Honour your wargear, preferred enemy Tyranids, Flesh over steel, death before dishonour (or faithful until death)
History: Early in the 41 millennia the Crimson Guard needed new recruitment but found communication blocked by the hive minds shodow in the warp. They decided land on their homeworld in person to help defend, as warp navigation was that it was under attack by a tendril of Hive fleet leviathan. Unable to recruit they ended up reinforcing the PDF (planetary defence force)... after a few years of siege city after city fell, as the shadow in the warp still contained them, until only the capital remained, with the remains of the near-destroyed population and only 2 companies of marines. With the rest of the planet infested with hordes of tyranids outside the gates a miraculous break in the shadow in the warp (caused by a nearby fleet drawing away much of the tyranids strength) occurred.They decided to have a mass evacuation to another world, stopping only to purge the xenos with the sole remaining virus bomb.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You can make them a second founding chapter of the crimson fists who went to a world on the outer fringe and was attacked by a smaller hivefleet around the same time the Ultramarines came under assault. That would tie them in and allow you to maintain your convertions.

·
Registered
272 Posts
try to get them into the second Tyrannic war have then as part of the defence force of the mine worlds of Devlan same place as where the lamenters went down the warp pipe. thats what im doing with my chapter.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Why tie them to the Crimson Fists anyway? They don't seem to have that much connection to the fighting style of the Crimson Fists, and after the Rynn's World Disaster it's unlikely that the CFs would be forming successor chapters - they were nearly annihilated and probably need to spend a few more centuries building up their geneseed... If it's just the 'Crimson' in their name, it's probably not worth trying to worry about making it fit. Also, it might be difficult to 'guard' something if you're always riding away on a bike...?

You can't make them a 'second founding of the Crimson Fists', the Crimson Fists are a second founding chapter (of the Imperial Fists).

If you've got red marines and like bikes, how about the Red Templars? They've got next to nothing known about them, so you can do what you like, they wear red and they ride bikes.

But if you do stick with Crimson Guard, I'd steer clear of trying to make them fit the CFs' fluff. There just doesn't seem to be any need, and it could cause you way more problems than it solves (ie, it doesn't 'solve' anything). It's just a synonym for 'red' after all. 'They've got crimson armour, that's why they're the Crimson Guard'.

'Cyclops, cyclops, wherefore art thou 'cyclops'?'

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok ill have a look at some pictures around the web to have a look at the markings etc for the red templars and if i like them ill change the few ive painted to look more like them.
but if not, i could just stick with the original plan except change it from crimson fists to something else perhaps blood angels or blood ravens because they're red too.
but perhaps then i should change the name to blood guard or something, goodness this is complecated.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
would any of you actualy even want to know the fluff if i was playing you if i told u the traits of the chapter? because im not sure if im alowed to even play a game with them untill ive got all this sorted out. besides i think it would be best to keep it simple they just poped out of a warp storm without any memory of before and the geneseed being untraceable or be traced to one of the chapters previously "lost" in the warp as acording to some website i was on a few minutes but closed it and cant find it again now :angry: there has been 13 cases of whole chapters being lost in the warp 21 being lost in battle 9 gene seed faliures and i think 4 being purged and 16 other circumstances

so i think ill do a bit more research in to the ones lost in the warp and try to find an apropriate one

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
for example the fire hawks they were painted red and yellow and lost in the warp with their mobile fortress "Rapturous Rex" so they could just have been fighting warp creatures for how everlong they've been in theyre and taking recruits from other chapters who were lost in the warp then somehow managed to escape also bringing along some 'nids that got stuck in the warp too and thats why they have such a hatred for them. perhaps the begining bit is better than the later bit but still its sort of reasonable... i think... except thats where the legion of the damned came from so they could have been founded at the same time as the warp created a hierachy brake down and the two chapters decided to train in their own way but still loyal to the emporor

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hey demon, would it be ok if I use your crimson guard in a fluff story that I'm doing? I use Telgaris as a planet name all the time, and I like to make things link up. Kind regards

Chrisman

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Demon, don't worry about the fluff if it's causing you problems - no-one is gonna stop you playing if you haven't got it sorted out. As long as you say what the traits are that you're using, that'll be fine. No-one needs a justification, a history of your chapter or a list of its Chapter Masters for the last 4,000 years or anything. Hell, there are people playing official chapters that don't know about their history, so no-one would expect you to do the job about 30 people are paid by Games Workshop to do. It's fun, but it's not a requirement.

On the Red Templars, do have Codex SM? The fact you're talking about traits make me think you do... they're on the page with the photos of different chapter painting colours, near the back... they're the red guys on bikes.

If you want to call them the Crimson Guard, that's fine. But it doesn't mean you have to link them to the Crimson Fists. I merely suggested not doing it because I thought it didn't really serve any useful purpose to do so - but if you want to, I think you should. It just might be harder than not, because to my eyes there's no real connection between your fighting style and that of the Crimson Fists, and because the Crimson Fists background is so heavily complicated by the Rynn's World Disaster. But if you can make it fit, yeah, why not?

It is fun though, coming up with ideas and kicking them about, and this is a good place to do it. There are a lot of people on here very knowlegeable about the fluff aspects, who can point out problems or suggest new ideas.

Hurrah for Heresy, and all who sail in her!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts