Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

As some of you may know i am building an Apocalypse Now themed marine army. This army includes 6 Flyers all of which are in the process of being converted into a Chopper of some kind. Obviously this means AA is the biggest issue facing my army so i need to be able to deal with AA.

The issue I am facing is that there is a wide range of AA i could face its hard to nail it down too 2 or 3 units that can help. The two big categories that contain AA are Monstrous creatures and Vehicles and then there is the Quad gun.

I think the only real solution to counter a quad gun is Sniper scouts + Telion and his precision shots. The other two categories can in most ways to handled by grav-guns.

The final challenge i am finding in creating an answer to all this is too only use models in HQ/Elites/Troops

So i ask you how would you solve this dilemma i am facing?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
quad guns/MCs: Vanguard vet squad w/jump packs with 5 grav-pistols. Assault Squad (not troops, alas) w/2 plasma pistols and a sgt/grav pistol.

Anti-vehicle: Vanguard vet squad w/jump packs and 5 meltabombs and 5 storm shields. This option is improved by power fists, but makes them unholy expensive. Assault squad w/5 meltabombs

Model the Assault squad/Vets with no jump packs, and "crashed" copters for drop pods.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Posting the list that has those 6 fliers in it would be a great help to getting ideas for where you're lacking.

I think the only real solution to counter a quad gun
...is to use one of the guns on one of those 6 fliers you have and target the gun after moving up to 36" onto the board. You've got the reach, and at most you will lose a single flier doing it. Never forget you can target the gun itself right away. Really, do you see yourself failing ALL of those reserve rolls turn 2?

Aside from that, MC's get owned by Sternguard/snipers/weight of fire, plus they and tanks both have a pretty poor chance if you lascannon them from 48" out.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Best I can add is, well, tough.

You chose to bring 6 fliers. There's no way you can ever bring a list to comfortably deal with every single type of anti-flier unit in the game.

Dial back on fliers. It was an error in judgment to begin with.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quad guns/MCs: Vanguard vet squad w/jump packs with 5 grav-pistols. Assault Squad (not troops, alas) w/2 plasma pistols and a sgt/grav pistol.

Anti-vehicle: Vanguard vet squad w/jump packs and 5 meltabombs and 5 storm shields. This option is improved by power fists, but makes them unholy expensive. Assault squad w/5 meltabombs

Model the Assault squad/Vets with no jump packs, and "crashed" copters for drop pods.
That Vanguard unit sounds very interesting indeed. Do you think combining the two would work also (Pricey i know). 5 Vanguard vet squad w/jump packs, grav-pistols, meltabombs and storm shields?

The idea for crashed copters is a fantastic one, you can consider that one stolen. Cheers

Posting the list that has those 6 fliers in it would be a great help to getting ideas for where you're lacking.

...is to use one of the guns on one of those 6 fliers you have and target the gun after moving up to 36" onto the board. You've got the reach, and at most you will lose a single flier doing it. Never forget you can target the gun itself right away. Really, do you see yourself failing ALL of those reserve rolls turn 2?

Aside from that, MC's get owned by Sternguard/snipers/weight of fire, plus they and tanks both have a pretty poor chance if you lascannon them from 48" out.
I would post my list but currently its just 6 Fliers as i wanted to convert 6 Marine helicopters but here it is:

Storm Talon 125pts
Stormhammer missiles
Storm Talon 125pts
Stormhammer missiles
Storm Talon 125pts
Stormhammer missiles

Storm Raven 230pts
Hurricane bolters
Storm Raven 230pts
Hurricane bolters
Storm Raven 230pts
Hurricane bolters

You are right that my some of my 6 Fliers will have to deal with some AA it faces, so really i should ask what Anti AA cant these 6 fliers handle and How can i handle them with something else

Best I can add is, well, tough.

You chose to bring 6 fliers. There's no way you can ever bring a list to comfortably deal with every single type of anti-flier unit in the game.

Dial back on fliers. It was an error in judgment to begin with.
I would say thats a tough judgment and i get the feeling you dont like Fliers. Fliers have changed the game that i cannot argue but its a new tactical level to the game. Im not playing Necron flying circus army im playing an Apocalypse Now Marine army where these fliers are converted into Helicopters because i like the idea and imagery of all that. If i wanted to power game Marines it would be 3 Storm Talons/ 3 Thunderfire cannons/ Bike command squad/Bikes/ Grav guns. Im not im playing it differently so for that i think i deserve some respect

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
You have over 1k in fliers. What points level are you shooting at? Unless it's at least 3k I think you'll be fucked, to be honest. You may not be playing a Necron flying circus but it sure looks like a marine one that could potentially be easily tabled at 2k.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
I would say thats a tough judgment and i get the feeling you dont like Fliers. Fliers have changed the game that i cannot argue but its a new tactical level to the game. Im not playing Necron flying circus army im playing an Apocalypse Now Marine army where these fliers are converted into Helicopters because i like the idea and imagery of all that. If i wanted to power game Marines it would be 3 Storm Talons/ 3 Thunderfire cannons/ Bike command squad/Bikes/ Grav guns. Im not im playing it differently so for that i think i deserve some respect
I'm not saying I don't respect your choice, but to then wonder how you will deal with every type of anti-AA is a headscratcher because you chose a list with a number of fliers that makes that goal impossible to achieve.

It's like playing D&D and leveling nothing but strength on your melee character, then asking "how do I deal with ranged/ magic casters, they just almost one-shot me before I get close??" Well, you don't. You are extremely specialized, and you will need help from others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts