Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to field some an army of ork 'ard boyz, but how do you model them? the only kit for ork troops doesn't say it has armor plates, please help, thank you

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
hmm ok. Do you have the boyz already or are you going to pick them up? If you're going to get them you could just get fantasy models and 40k bases. If not, and if you have some greenstuff you could just beat it really thin and cut it so it's jagged, as it doesn't need to look good... You could even take an actual metal sheet and cut it into small pieces with a knife etc. Another thing you could do is just paint their leather armor to look metal. Sorry I'm not more helpful, I've never tried something like this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't want to be nerdy/geeky and then have like super ugly models on top of that, I really want something that looks store-bought, I might just wait for 7th edition to try an ork army, but like maybe I can field fantasy orcs and buy some sluggas and just equip them, dang it, I really love orks

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
I get that, just throwing ideas out there.

Another thing you could do is just paint their leather armor to look metal.
? This could definitely be done with (mostly) painting if you wanted, or a mix of painting and modeling.

If you want you could go for these bad boys, though they are crazy expensive so you might just want to stick with some standard boyz. In all honesty though, you could probably just say that they were 'ard boyz and no one would question you.

I just googled some stuff, and you could try to find some nobz heads or something and then put them on boyz.

Inspiration.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
In the bitz section of the Ork category I think they sell tiny pewter plates you can attach to your boyz to make the 'ard boyz. I think, might have been removed. Other than that, Black Orks really are the best ones for the job, just cut in some shootas and it should be fine.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You could always cut thin sheets of plasticard and glue to the arms. With rivets it looks quite nice. Looted shoulder pads from space marines work as a sharm. Also, only use the heads from the box with helms. I have a squad of Ard Boys in my Plog. Look for Moriouces Workshop.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Moving this to the modeling section, as you will get more help there think.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I would buy the basic boys and then trawl a bits retailer like bits n kits for parts. You should be able to get a load of parts to give the right impression.
Things to remember:
1:You can loot from more or less anyone so don't be scared of looking at additional plating from the other armies.
2:An ogre gut plate or fantasy shield mounted on the wrist of a slugs arm will make the model look heavier and a lot more armoured.
3:Space marine shoulder pads also make good helmets if you trim the orks ears a little.
4:there are spare straps and belts all over the ork models that are begging to have bucklers and small armour pieces added to them to cover knees, thighs, wrists and upper arms.
5:In general there is a big flat Area on the models back that you could put large plating like more shields, tau gun drone parts, guard heavy weapon shields on.

Just some thoughts, usually I have a collection of random gubnins from my bits boxes on hand when I'm working on some boys but then my bits box is actually a cupboard so if you haven't got a great selection picking up some parts from bits retailers or cutting up old ice cream tubs for styrene might be the way to go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For my 'Ard Boyz I just used space marine shoulder pads, the helmeted ork heads, the iron gobs (metal jaw), and the ork shoulder plates. Basically all orks have helmets and each boy has 3 of the 4 items:
1. Left Shoulder (space marine or ork bit)
2. Right Shoulder (same as above)
3. Jaw
4. Belly Plate (a shoulder plate glued to the front or back of the torso)

Additionally, throw in random bits you have laying around to add some character. One of my favorites is gluing 2 iron sights to a helmet => armored goggles. By keeping it random you get a fairly diverse mob that looks "heavy.

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
My Ard boyz also have all helmeted heads and gobs as well as many looted items from other armies to show armies they have defeated. So shoulder pads from all kinds of space marine chapters as well as chaos armies. Tau shoulder pads and weapons. All kinds of imperial stuff all add character to the boys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts