Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning all!

So today I was able to balance my start of year finances, (Taxes, Bonuses and other such crazy stuff). And well it looks like I can ‘gift’ myself about $150 of spending cash that isn’t being used for more constructive things, and I have decided that I shall get something from Forge world for my Iron Warriors army.

I just do not know what to get.. There are a lot of choices and I want something that will forfill the following criteria
  • It will make my 40K Chaos army Better on the table. Ie it’s something I will use, but I don’t want something that’s hyper-completive so my friends will not like it when I bring it to games.
  • It cannot cost more than $160 when shipping if included (But doesn’t have to be that expensive)
  • It also has to be a Fun model to paint and hobby with, I have been told that some models are horrid and would like to keep away from them.

So that being said my short list is:

I will like to here other suggestions as well, I am tempted by the Hellblade.. I could get one of them and some upgrade packs I suppose.

I sorry if this appears to be in poor taste, but I trust the views of the members of this site and well.. I cannot make my mind up.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I would go for the Sicaran, since it's gorram brutal. Failing that, a Hellblade or two would fit the bill neatly to counterbalance the relative lack of CSM AA, which it can handle nicely.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree the Sicaran would be a very sensible choice.. my reservation is that I have so many Heavy Support units already...

Which is why something in the Fast attack slot could be fun (or a drop-pod).

But the Typhon is such an IW tank..

·
To The Dark Tower Came
879 Posts
The Sicaran is a very sexy tank, as is the storm eagle, however im not sure a storm eagle would fit in with the Iron warriors. I feel they would rely on tank based anti-air rather then their own fliers, but that is just my own opinion.

Now this is just my own nature talking, and i do love some of the forge world stuff, but i would suggest it would be much more satisfying to convert your own tank from different kits. Just going to put a link to a project iv seen recently when looking for conversion ideas, something like this could make your army look really unique.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/483845-.html?m=2

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I have always drooled over the drop pod options CSM have from FW so I vote for the Dreadclaw.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I think I'd rank these . . .

1) Dreadclaw+Hellblade
2) Sicaran
3) Typhon

Generally, if I were ordering from Forgeworld I'd be going for things outside the norm e.g. Not land raiders, predators, rhinos.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Generally, if I were ordering from Forgeworld I'd be going for things outside the norm e.g. Not land raiders, predators, rhinos.
Indeed, which is why I have the storm Eagle on my list, as its something outside the Norm. and I could see it being used in a seige more than say the Dread-Claw which is much more of a 'Assault Ship'

Though I have to say the Typhon is something that may be a fun center piece.

·
Closet Dictator
3,428 Posts
The Typhon and Achilles suit the fluff for the Iron Warriors so I would go for either of those, failing that get a hooker!

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Typhon and Achilles suit the fluff for the Iron Warriors
Looking into it the Achilles was a tank built by the Imperial fists.. which means its only suitable to be cannonfoder (which to be truthful is 90% of any Iron Warriors force, but anyway)

The Typhon is something I am considering more and more.

·
Closet Dictator
3,428 Posts
Looking into it the Achilles was a tank built by the Imperial fists.. which means its only suitable to be cannonfoder (which to be truthful is 90% of any Iron Warriors force, but anyway)

The Typhon is something I am considering more and more.
Rather well protected and armed cannon fodder!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would go for the Sicaran, but that's just because it's a sexy beast.

Typhon siege tank might fit the IW more though.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Any particular reason you're not looking into the Spartan Assault Tank?

A landraider with double the capacity and a better gun, for a mere 50 points extra. Beyond the Dreadclaw, this will be my first purchase when I get to the FW era of my Crimson Slaughter army. A landraider with 10 terminators in it? Yes please.
Because the other Chaos player in my local group is just started painting one up.. and well Yep it just doesn't excite me.

One of my friends has offered me his un-painted(or assembled) Helblade, So I think I may look to getting a second one... A pair of them would be quite fun.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan coming together!

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like you have a plan coming together!
Yep.

Now I have just started debating other things, and to save spamming threads..

These are my current Raptors:

I built them when the old raptor models were kinda naff. But now I own 5 (and soon to be 10) of the new Raptor/Warp tallon guys (unbuilt)... So the question thats been filling my brain is do I build the new guys as Warp Tallons, or do I take off the backpacks from these guys turn them into CSM troops and then use the new models for Raptors...

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
So the question thats been filling my brain is do I build the new guys as Warp Tallons, or do I take off the backpacks from these guys turn them into CSM troops and then use the new models for Raptors...
Personally, as I love the new Raptor/Warp Talon models, I would tear the jump pack off the old models and use the new models for raptors and warptalons exclusively. But it depends on the feel you want for your models.

In the Siege of Castellax novel, I don't remember them being described as much different in appearance to normal Iron Warriors, so these could work as well.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
From a fluff standpoint the Typhon Heavy Siege tank would make the most sense to me as it was made specifically for the iron warriors. (on that note i should also have a few Achilles land raiders in my Imperial Fistsbut thats besides the point. Traitorous Scum.) Having the hellblades might be nice but i think you'd be better off getting a hell drake for a flyer option. A friend of mine who plays night lords has the dreadclaw and swears by it (except for the fact that I destroy it easily in a round of shooting) but the fact that you have a drop pod that can do its job then take off and rain fire on the units below should not be discounted. However if it were me personally id be getting a Fellblade.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Personally, as I love the new Raptor/Warp Talon models, I would tear the jump pack off the old models and use the new models for raptors and warptalons exclusively. But it depends on the feel you want for your models.
I think that is what I shall do... though it may be a few months before it happens Getting Raptors on the table isn't high on my to-do list.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Tearing off the backpacks is what I'd be inclined to do too. What with the whole Bikes vs Raptors comparison... yeah, I don't think I'd prioritize Raptors either. :p

I think you can't go far wrong with the Hell Blades, so long as you always pay the points for their weapons upgrade!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts