Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just played a game with my imperial guard against a Dark Eldar army with Eldar Allies.

He was running a death star unit composed of The Dark Eldar Baron Sathonyx (with Shadow field), 10 Wraithguard a farseer and some other eldar dude i don't remember...

So basically he was able to run his Baron having a 2+ Inv save with Fortune on him.... With rules like that, this squad is really hard to take down...being able to re-roll your 2+ inv save, looks over the top for me but then, i am not a rule master and i just play for fun so i beleived him...IT did not stop my IG to win :grin:

Then there was a big argument between him and other players that he cannot do that because (i am not sure i understood correctly) some said that he could not do that because the baron was not an Eldar and he claimed he could because the Baron is an IC so he can benefit from the unit powers etc...

I just want to know if it is legal and why...

Tks guys.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
From my understanding of this rules interpretation is that due to the wraith guard being an ELDAR unit it can be fortuned (because the rule for fortune states something along the lines of an ELDAR unit may reroll is saves for the turn this power has been cast) and Baron Benefits due to joining that squad. But it is contentious so work out what your group wants to do in this case i supose or if you play tournements make yourself aware how they rule it

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That wad exactly the argument....they claimed he could not use it because hewas not an Eldar....

The thing is the group was arguing a lot to the point where i just waited for them tov inish and continue the game the way he wanted...

I would just like to know the official ruling

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Well Eldar and Dark Eldar are battle brothers on the allies matrix, so this would let you target your allies with psychic powers like that and I do believe this would allow for a DE HQ to join an Eldar unit.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The other people are wrong. Darkreever and Battman are correct. As a Battle Brother Baron can join the squad and the rule states that the unit can re-roll their saves. He is following the rule by casting it on the Eldar unit, but Baron being part of the unit gets to follow the same rules granted to the unit.

·
Autarch of Heresy
886 Posts
The other people are wrong. Darkreever and Battman are correct. As a Battle Brother Baron can join the squad and the rule states that the unit can re-roll their saves. He is following the rule by casting it on the Eldar unit, but Baron being part of the unit gets to follow the same rules granted to the unit.
Hello Everyone,

Your friendly neighborhood Autarch here.

psactionman said it weird but is correct. There are a handful of reasons why this works in particular, the main reason being Battle Brothers. Since the Baron (in this case) is allowed to join the Wraithguard Squad he is counted as part of the unit for all purposes (and can be affected by allied psy powers). I forget the exact page this is mentioned on but is probably in the section on IC's joining units.
Since he is counted as part of the unit for all purposes, and the Wraithguard unit is from Codex Eldar (allowing them to be targeted by Fortune) he would gain the abilities/penalties of whatever affects the unit.

This also works exactly the same way for the Tau

In the above case the people arguing against it would be correct if it was a Eldar IC (like a Farseer) joining a unit say..Grotesques, he cannot cast Fortune on the unit since it is from Codex Dark Eldar, even though he is part of the unit.

Of course this would not stop the Farseer from using a non-Eldar power, such as Forewarning from the BRB. Only anything that specifically said any "Eldar units"(which is Fortune/Guide)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts