Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I've posted these before. I have no shame. I have 2 similar but fundamentally different army lists, and I'd like some opinions on how to pick between them. Both lists are 2000 points of Eldar, and I'm going for a mostly cavalry list:

I really like that list because of the Hornets, but I'm torn on Shining Spears.

This one seems stronger in general, because the Skyweavers are stronger overall than Spears... but the Voidweavers lose compared to the Hornets.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you considered items from the Supplement: Iyanden codex:

(Celestial Lance: Str+3 ap2 on the charge, 6" str8 ap2 Lance shooting attack
and or
Soul Shrive: Str3 ap2 [+1 str for each unsaved wound it causes] )

for the Autarchs to make them combat beasts

And the spear of Teuthlas to make the Farseer a serious threat at 18" to light armoured tanks.

I personally prefer the Harlequin army list.

EDIT: Removed Tautologicals

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considered items from the Supplement: Iyanden codex:

(Celestial Lance: Str+3 ap2 on the charge, 6" str8 ap2 Lance shooting attack
and or
Soul Shrive: Str3 ap2 [+1 str for each unsaved wound it causes] )

for the Autarchs to make them combat beasts

And the spear of Teuthlas to make the Farseer a serious threat at 18" to light armoured tanks.

I personally prefer the Harlequin army list.

EDIT: Removed Tautologicals
I've considered using the Celestial Lance before, except I was always concerned with the explosion harming my own units. I wish I could give it to the same Autarch with a Mantle, but that's out. And Soulshrive feels like it might be too week to get started, but I'm not sure.

I've actually created a new list, which is a hybrid of the two above, but I never posted it frankly because I felt like I was spamming the forums (since no one was responding before). Here's the combo list:

Autarch (x2)
-Jetbike, Fusion Gun, Laser Lance, Banshee Mask

Warlock (x4)
-Jetbike, Singing Spear

Windrider Guardian Squads (x4) (Warlock in each squad)
x6, x2 Shuricannons

Crimson Hunter Exarch (x2)
-Bright Lances, Marksman's Eye

Shining Spears
x4 +Exarch (Star Lance, H&R, Monster Hunter)

Skyweaver Squadron (x2)
x3, Zephyrglaives x3

Voidweaver Squadron
x2, Prismatic Cannons

This one is the best of both worlds, I feel. I lose the Farseer, but the Autarchs can either strap to the Spears for a HUGE hammer unit, or stick to the two Skyweaver squads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah sometimes I wonder how many people are actually active on the forum, no please post away; it makes my uni revision hours tick by a little quicker and I enjoy discussing in depth ideas. (See my archon bomb list!)

Yeah the list is pretty snazzy! A shame not to throw down a guide and prescience per turn but I don't know where the points would come from...

I personally like Exarch on the crimson hunters but if you downgrade them both and take away marksman's eye you get 60 points, take away one Voidweaver that's 80 points.

Then take the farseer on bike w/ spirit stone of anath'lan : 130 pts ... roll on telepathy to see what you can get but ultimately take guide and prescience to make every shooting phase and assault mega deadly. Put him in a unit of windriders and you're all good. Maybe give him spear of teuthlas too...

But if you don't fancy that I think the list is good, if you can play test with and without a farseer... rerolling to hit is the balls in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a fan of dropping one Voidweaver mostly because it screams for First Blood with such a fragile skimmer. At least with two it's not as tempting a target.

Also not sure if I want to ditch the Exarchs on the CH. BS5 is lots of fun. Marksman's Eye really was just leftover points; originally I considered giving the Autarchs Reaper Launchers instead of Fusion Guns, to fire at range with the Skyweavers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Picking off pesky characters and heavy weapons on a 5+ is pretty nice. And having the fusion gun to pop transport and then charge is quite helpful, although giving him the reaper launcher would allow him to join in with the targets that shuricannons would normally go for.
Yeah good point re. first blood.
Finding room for a 115 pts farseer could pay off though, particularly with 4 warp charges from your warlocks.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, the warlocks are where I'm trying to decide about now. With the changes to Psychic powers, I'm not entirely sure that I'd be able to make the most out of them anymore; in 6E it was easy enough to at least try and throw a dice a turn and hope to cast a simple buff on each squad, but now.... not sure. They're still strong 'sergeant' units for each Windrider squad, but I'm not sure if they're worth it without the Farseer. Really don't know.

With that said, at the rate I'm going, with rumors of the new codex, this entire army could be invalidated next month.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Haha yes, I'm not bothering thinking of anything which makes me kind of sad. I just hope wraithknights don't get nerfed since I have two!!
Yeah in my experience warlocks haven't been worth it unless you are making a seer council or want to boost your warp charges or want to cast malefic powers and accept that your psyker will probably get perils.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thoughts mostly were a lot of Conceal rolls to add to cover saves. They're still strong squad leader types and the spears offer a nice punch. Mini exarchs, in a way.

If not for wanting to control my Crimson Hunter rolls, I could drop the Autarchs for 2 Farseers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts