Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, I have two different lists, and I'd like some assistance.

Both lists are 2000 points, using an Eldar CAD, a Crimson Death formation, and a Harlequin Faolchu's Blade Formation. The difference is how the CAD is made up.

And since you helped last time, @Beastwoe....

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I like the first list - melee is under rated in 7th ed Imo. The only thing I'd be tempted to do is reduce the guardian jetbikes and take an aspect shrine of 3 x 3 shining spears to get ws5 on them.
But the downside is it reduces the survival of the squads so its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other...
I think it'd work fine as is as well.
I do like the first list more :good:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had considered the Aspect Shrine also, especially using the full Warhost, because I'd LOVE to run the Aspect Shrine plus 3 Autarchs to have Masks everywhere. The points, of course, become the issue.

I don't think dropping the bikes down to 3 for the +1WS would be worth it, especially if they can get overwatched away (well, they'd have cover saves).

I do like the idea of a real 'cavalry' army, with the Windriders acting as objective grabbers, and both Skyweavers (love them with their cannons and glaives) AND Spears offering melee charges.

My only concern (which is VERY minimal) is that some tournaments don't like 2 formations plus a detachment.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
So...
Why not just use the army you want and only enter tourneys that will let you take raw armies?

3 squads of spears, all led by autarchs is just cool. Add in the harlie bikes and go from there.
Playing the army as you like it is so much more fun :victory:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm very much against Unbound armies; I feel that with all the detachments and formations that exist, unbound is 'cheating'. I realize not everyone feels that way, and everyone gets their opinion, but that's me.

So in order to run 3 Autarchs, I would either need to run a Craftworld Warhost, which means 3 squads, the Farseer, and the extra fairly useless warlock, and Vypers, OR I'd have to run 4 squads of Windriders to go with 2 CAD and have 3 HQ squads. Not terrible, but not ideal, either. Just more taxes to get to the Aspect Shrine benefits.

I have the points if I drop the Warlocks. That gives me what I need for the 3rd Autarch, and reordering the Windriders gives me a 4th troop choice, which gives me the 2nd CAD and more HQ options. I'd probably need to lower the Spears to 3+1.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
For some reason I feel the same about unbound.
I'd go for the double cad - guardian jetbikes aren't exactly the most useless tax for the autarchs. Obsec is always good :)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So now I have a third option:

CAD 1

Autarch - bike, fusion gun, lance, banshee mask

Windriders - Scatter x3

Windriders - Scatter x3

CAD 2

Windriders x5

Windriders x6

Crimson Death Formation

2+1, all lances

Aspect Host

Shining Spears x3, all 3+1 w/ star lances (+1 WS)

Faolchu's Blade formation

Skyweavers - x3 w/ shuricannons and glaives

Skyweavers - x3 w/ shuricannons and glaives

Voidweavers x2 - prism cannons

1999 pts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Are you able to run a couple of practice games?
I'd try the first and the third lists and see which you preferred using - both have good points and are ridiculously fast.

I like both - although I'd personally go for triple autarch as I think that list is cool. I always find if I really like an army the game is far more fun :)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I know this sounds foolish, but the third list bothers me because the Windriders aren't even. I like symmetry. It's driving me crazy! :p

I'm almost tempted to give up the Autarch's Fusion Guns and give him Avengerpults or something less useful (I'll be shooting with the lance anyway), to get the points I need for one more bike.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
How do the autarchs steer if they're holding a lance and fusion gun anyway? :laugh:

It's not like this list needs help help killing thongs with armour anyway.

Edit: Things not thongs...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do the autarchs steer if they're holding a lance and fusion gun anyway? :laugh:

It's not like this list needs help help killing thongs with armour anyway.
I actually already built two Skyrunners where I took a Reaver Fusion Blaster (came off the Reaver kit, looks like an underslung fusion gun, no idea what it is) and attached it to the catapult, to make a three-barreled, magnetized weapon.

Dropping fusion guns to Avenger Catapults wouldn't give me enough for the last bike. I'd be one point short. :(

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The only place I could see you could shave points is by losing a scatter laser or a star lance. I'm not sure 1 extra jetbike is worth dropping either.
If you drop the other jetbike squad down a man to make them match, what could you bring instead of the bike for the points?
Have you got any pics of the tri barreled jetbikes? I'd like to see those :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Playing my first game of 2K with the new Eldar Dex tomorrow. (Havent played since May last year when we were talking about lists!) This gives me a great place to start for building something :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts