Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, i'd really appreciate any help you might give me. I'm a relatively new to assembling warhammer 40k armies and decided to pick Chaos Space Marines as my first one, namely the Word Bearers.

The list that i've come up with so far is the following:

Chaos Lord - 205 pts
Mark of Khorne
Juggernaut of Khorne
Axe of Blind Fury
Burning Brand of Skalathrax
Sigil of Corruption
Melta bombs

6 Chaos Bikers - 182 pts Retinue for the lord
Mark of Khorne
Icon of wrath
2 Meltaguns

10 shooty Chaos Space Marines 190 pts
Icon of vengeance
Plasma gun
Heavy bolter

10 shooty Chaos Space Marines 190 pts
Icon of vengeance
Plasma gun
Heavy bolter

20 Chaos Cultists 100 pts
2 Flamers

Maulerfiend 135 pts
Lasher tendrils

Total pts: 1002

Army list is currently little over the point cap mainly because it's still under construction and i wont be ordering any of the models until the start of May (exams and such)

I'm up for any suggestion on how to improve the list. As i said i don't have any of the models yet so i'm willing to change just about anything. Only thing i'm rather dead set on is having a chaos lord riding a juggernaut of Khorne. :grin:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
well, thats not bad. i'd drop the burning brand and take a second plasmagun on each squad instead of heavy bolters. just plain better, imo.
otherwise, makes for a funny 1000 pts list

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you have for air defence? Or superiority... I enjoy a little Heldrake madness.
I could replace one of the CSM squads with a heldrake. Are shooty CSM even worth it in the end or should i be going full on assault with my units? I really wanted a mech but i've been told things like Defiler and Helbrute really aren't that good so i settled for a maulerfiend for now.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
What do you have for air defence? Or superiority... I enjoy a little Heldrake madness.
At 1000pts I think you can skip the Anti-Air.

Otherwise I agree about the Plasma for Heavy-Bolter change. I would also think about running the squad of cultists as two squads for objective grabbing.

·
Registered
580 Posts
At 1000pts I think you can skip the Anti-Air.

Otherwise I agree about the Plasma for Heavy-Bolter change. I would also think about running the squad of cultists as two squads for objective grabbing.
Yeah this is more of a local meta. I run a minimum of one heldrake in my csm list, as I round up towards 1000 pts I like adding a second Drake.

The Heldrake is my "land raider" and I love the fluff surrounding its inception.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
@mrknify real men bring dual drakes at 1000 pts :laugh:

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
@mrknify real men bring dual drakes at 1000 pts :laugh:
Reminds me of the time I brought a drake to a 500 point game. Still lost both of my games--but a (6th edition game with prior Nid dex) Zoanthrope making the Hail Mary Warp Lance to cast, (I fail) DTW, hit, pen, (I fail) invuln, and explode it. I crunched the numbers just to make sure, and it turned out it was a 3% chance. I was happy just to be there, to see that, and to lose, because--seriously--who brings a Heldrake to a 500 point match?

(other match in the 500 point level was Eldar whose jetbikes assaulted right off the bat and my drake spent the game flying around with no targets to shoot at, all other squads tied up as they were)

I'm on the same page as plasma rather than heavy bolters, and 2 squads of cultists (flamers not too essential). I'd probably also consider the Icons of Vengeance not too essential. Fearless is nice, but... only sometimes useful. And sometimes, you want to be able to flee a conflict where you can't hurt the enemy but still, say, want to shoot at it. Sure, risk of Sweeping Advance and all, but...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Reminds me of the time I brought a drake to a 500 point game. Still lost both of my games--but a (6th edition game with prior Nid dex) Zoanthrope making the Hail Mary Warp Lance to cast, (I fail) DTW, hit, pen, (I fail) invuln, and explode it. I crunched the numbers just to make sure, and it turned out it was a 3% chance. I was happy just to be there, to see that, and to lose, because--seriously--who brings a Heldrake to a 500 point match?

(other match in the 500 point level was Eldar whose jetbikes assaulted right off the bat and my drake spent the game flying around with no targets to shoot at, all other squads tied up as they were)

I'm on the same page as plasma rather than heavy bolters, and 2 squads of cultists (flamers not too essential). I'd probably also consider the Icons of Vengeance not too essential. Fearless is nice, but... only sometimes useful. And sometimes, you want to be able to flee a conflict where you can't hurt the enemy but still, say, want to shoot at it. Sure, risk of Sweeping Advance and all, but...
Lol, I built a 500 pt duel drake list. Have not had a chance to play it, figured I had two heldrakes why not.

My other fun list is a bit more cheesy. 2x drakes + an imperial knight. With cultists and a lord of course for 1000 pts. Its a very come the apocalypse group.

That aside I'm rather content to build / kit bash / mod and paint to my hearts content. Leaving the playing to those who have the time.

I used to play nids, in the end had to sell them. The joy of playing has been gone for some time since then. Still,I have my blood angels even though I cant play pure dc from the codex anymore. Armys have changed quite a bit since 3rd edition, some Changes good, some not so.

I wont digress further.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
In 6th ed at 1000 i uses to run a black templars dual lrc list with champion and terminator assault squads with lightening claws, people used to cry !

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Cool! But..what was that??

·
Registered
580 Posts
Renegade guard from siege of vraks. IA9
Arm, zombie arm from wfb; tentacle from spawn kit. Chains and such from the waist down, junk, plasticard, green stuff.

The armor did not paint the way I wanted so I may just have to wash it again.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I could replace one CSM squad with a heldrake. By the way, are regular marines focused on shooting worth it or would i be better off going full assault with an army like that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts