Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya :grin:,

I have 2 questions:

1. I am collecting Eldar as I would like to play a tactical army, does anyone know of any good units/tactics or just anything good with Eldar.

2. My 5-year old bro just pestered me into playing a game of 40k with him, and he enjoyed it! Well, I figured thats up to him, and I showed him and explained all of the armies, and he has decided to collect an army (way to lay on the peer pressure :biggrin:)! I was like, omg ur 5, but wtf, someone to practice with :D. Anyway, he decided he wanted an IG Armoured Company, but I have NO idea of ANYTHING about guard, i dont even have the codex (which i cant say for many armies). Will probably getting the codex soon to pore thru with him (another 3 hours of army planning... brill...) but has anyone got any advice on, well, everything? For example, which tanks r good, tactics, maybe a rough army list (just like, HQ - _______,

Elites - _______ and _________

or whatever...

Thanks guys, cya,

Alex

·
Registered
304 Posts
you won't find armoured company in the normal codex, you'll need the Imperial armour books I believe (not too sure, anyone correct me if I'm wrong). But way to go on him choosing tanks over men :grin:

with Eldar, you need to be able to perfectly orchestrate everything into an effective fighting force. That is, you have excellent mid range units, excellent CC units, and excellent long range units, but no real versatile units. It all really depends on what type of unit you personally prefer and what will be effective at the time. Dark Reapers are great for slotting units of marines, but vehicals usually have little problem taking them out, so you need to counter with Fire Dragons or Brightlances (just examples). Start with a core and then start to create around that

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
And the GW website has the Armored Company list, if he's interested in tanks. I've never played as Eldar, except at Chicago Games Day, where I was promptly destroyed, but I noticed that everything has to work in perfect unison for Eldar to really sing. All your units have to support one another, unlike my Marines, where I can chuck them into the fire and expect them to fight it out.

-Dirge

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Eldar need a game plan. Mech Eldar? Infantry Firebase? Walker Delight? What interests you and what have you laid your hands on already?

As for IGAC, well Dirge Eterna spelled it out for you already. The current AC 'dex is on the GW website for free download as a PDF. It is not really an army that lends iteself well to the growing pains of a budding gamer, but it is a great army for treadheads of all ages. He'll need to start off with a handfull of Russ chassis vehicles... Try an Exterminator, a Vanquisher, 2 Leman Russ MBTs and a Basilisk. That'll make a sturdy 1000pt force. Any further and you start adding in Sentinels, Salamanders, and Demolishers.

·
Registered
905 Posts
check the web for articles on the flying circus, the eldar are a really hard race to play, as they do have to support each other every step of the way, but used properly you could beat anyone. Flying circus=night fighting x2

·
Registered
304 Posts
the guard codex has the steel legion list... :)
Steel Legion are different to armoured company. Armoured company use purely tanks, while the mechanised Steel Legion use infantry in Chimeras.

edit: can anyone provide me a link to the armoured company list? It has been my dream to play as them, but thought the list was in the IA books. If you can't give me a link, can you explain which countries site it is from as I can't find it on the UK one

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Units im planning to have:
Harlequins
Fire Dragons
Striking Scorpions
Banshees
Farseer with Seer Council (Warlock Retinue)
Rangers (Curse the minimum of 2 Troop choices...)

Fire Dragons FTW!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Units im planning to have:
Harlequins
Fire Dragons
Striking Scorpions
Banshees
Farseer with Seer Council (Warlock Retinue)
Rangers (Curse the minimum of 2 Troop choices...)

Fire Dragons FTW!!!
what craftworld are using? I would also suggest some ranged firepower in the form of wave serpents or falcons, as you'll be shot to pieces by most armies before getting anywhere near range...

but some rock hard CC units there, the scorps are pretty good in general, the Banshees really have to charge and have doom cast on their target squad to be truly effective, but so many power weapons is always good. Harlies are good, but I find they kill themselves more than the enemy do. I'd suggest chucking some guardians or Dire Avengers in for the other troop choice as well

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some good tips, ty ill bear that in mind. Maybe some Dark Reapers or w/e, the ones with missile launchers. But, Harlequins dont kill themselfs?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Some good tips, ty ill bear that in mind. Maybe some Dark Reapers or w/e, the ones with missile launchers. But, Harlequins dont kill themselfs?
you're right on the Harlies, I could have been a bit more specific. As in, mine kill themselves by getting caught in the aftermath of vehicle explosions usually, and with the amount of rending attacks they can put down (equal to stealers), its more common than you think. I had a full squad of ten reduced to three, but not actually suffering a loss, purely on the basis of them being caught up in the explosion of several russes

I think you should be looking more for longer range AT firepower rather than anti-infantry. The fire dragons are good, but have to be within a minimum of 18" (if your exarch has a fire pike), so wave serpents or falcons usually are a good investment. DR are reasonable, but can be pretty easily avoided unless they have really good fields of fire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts