Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
345 Posts
Im looking at that list and thinking wheres the soul? wheres the personality?
it looks good n all but its just an empty shell lol
personality and theme can be achieved with good painting and modelling. also that isn't the point of this list, this is a competitive list first and foremost it is trying to make a list that is as good as you can get. while it may seem empty and soulless to you someone who's been running it for a while may develop a good feel for it, after people have different concepts of fun.

pathfinder61 said:
Where is the land raiders
I really hope your being sarcastic.....

they are off somewhere else being expensive and easily blocked while requiring you to dedicate your army to close combat that you don't support particularly well out side of certain builds. yeah raiders in a marine army are by no means necessary.

· Grand Lord Munchkin
7,045 Posts
@pathfinder201,
a list doesn't need raiders to be good.

@ dude who's name is to damn long.
That's the mark of a competitive list.

· Grand Lord Munchkin
7,045 Posts
So do lone wolves but I don't see anyone taking those in competitive Lists. One big target is nice until Mr. 15 point gh with a melts gun gets within 6 inches. Trueth is a whole lot of smaller targets is better because it takes longer to thin them out and by that time your shit is gone.

· Registered
670 Posts
If you are going to take Land Raiders take them in pairs with thunder hammer terminators and a librarian in terminator armour with a storm shield and nullzone ;) Then add multi melta heavy flamer speeders, tacticals in rhinos and then chose the heavy support which probably would be preds, though I'd rather take a MOTF and go dread heavy support.

· It looked great on paper.
255 Posts
Just based on my experience, here's what has worked best for each squad/slot for me in the past:

HQ:
Captain Shrike: best of the "Chapter Tactics" HQ choices IMO. Everyone gets fleet, full squad of terminators gets infiltrated. win/win.
Pedro Kantor: Scoring sternguard and the whole army is stubborn? Awesomesauce.
Librarian: Terminator armor, null zone, and either gate of infinity/might of the ancients. Psychic defense is always good.

Elites:
Terminator Assault Squads: always a good choice. infiltrate them with shrike or give them a crusader to ride around in.
Sternguard Vets: Great for peppering anything with a 3+ armor save, great for anti tank. Can be very versatile.

Fast Attack:
Land Speeders: disruptive, can be given specialized weapons depending on what army you're facing.
Attack Bikes: similar to land speeders, T5 and two wounds make them a little tougher to kill.

Heavy Support:
Vindicators: great, blood angels vindicators are better.
Devastators: never leave home without them. Plasma cannons or missile launchers and you'll never be disappointed. Great against hordes/light armor/transports/TEQ, etc...

Troops:
Tactical Squads: Missile launcher/meltagun has been the best setup in the past for me. In objective missions, combat squad the weapons apart, sit the ML on your home objective, and go tank hunting with the other five in a rhino.
Scout Squads: I prefer these over tactical marines. Infiltrate/Outflank depending on snipers or CC scouts. Great for sneaking on the board edge near the middle/end of the game to secure/contest objectives. Cheaper than tactical squads, and don't need a transport as badly as the (slower) tactical squads do.
Scout and tactical sergeants generally get a power fist. Don't want to be stuck in combat with a soul grinder or dreadnought you can't even hurt.

These are my favorite vanilla marines units. I usually do well running some combination of the above.

· Registered
178 Posts
Just based on my experience, here's what has worked best for each squad/slot for me in the past:

HQ:
Captain Shrike: best of the "Chapter Tactics" HQ choices IMO. Everyone gets fleet, full squad of terminators gets infiltrated. win/win.QUOTE]
Shrike is byu far the best Special charaecter in the Space marine codex

I really hope your being sarcastic.....

they are off somewhere else being expensive and easily blocked while requiring you to dedicate your army to close combat that you don't support particularly well out side of certain builds. yeah raiders in a marine army are by no means necessary.
In my opinion land raiders are good yes they aren't necessary but i like them.

· Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Im looking at that list and thinking wheres the soul? wheres the personality?
it looks good n all but its just an empty shell lol

What is it that makes this an empty shell... I'm betting with a little effort, you could think up some background for this list... Why is this non-fluffy

255 Posts
Vulkan?

You are joking abuot devs? They cost too much :(
I forgot about Vulkan. He's also very good. Running Vulkan makes for a very good mid to short range firepower army.

I'm not joking about Devastators. :D

For the points, there is no better shooty unit in the SM codex. ML devs are very versatile, and plasma cannon devs can obliterate at least one unit per turn. 180 points for a 4x Plasma Cannon dev squad. They can wipe out most squads in 1-2 rounds of shooting. Run two and watch those TEQ/MEQ squads drop. This is just based on my local metagame, but I've done very well running a Shrike/Terminator/Scouts/PC Devastators build in tournaments in the past as well.

However, with the release of the Blood Angels codex, I've switched from Shrike/Codex Marines to exclusively using Blood Angels. If you want an assault oriented marine army, BA are going to be better than anything in the vanilla SM codex.

edit: And their devastators are much cheaper!

· Registered
345 Posts
I forgot about Vulkan. He's also very good. Running Vulkan makes for a very good mid to short range firepower army.

I'm not joking about Devastators. :D

For the points, there is no better shooty unit in the SM codex. ML devs are very versatile, and plasma cannon devs can obliterate at least one unit per turn. 180 points for a 4x Plasma Cannon dev squad. They can wipe out most squads in 1-2 rounds of shooting. Run two and watch those TEQ/MEQ squads drop. This is just based on my local metagame, but I've done very well running a Shrike/Terminator/Scouts/PC Devastators build in tournaments in the past as well.

However, with the release of the Blood Angels codex, I've switched from Shrike/Codex Marines to exclusively using Blood Angels. If you want an assault oriented marine army, BA are going to be better than anything in the vanilla SM codex.

edit: And their devastators are much cheaper!
Infantry with no ablative wounds means they get shot to hell right away and detract from your light av spam so they aren't sucking up too much firepower from your opponent anyway. They compete with predators which are actually efficient. In addition plasma cannons don't do crap to mech or adequately spread troops which is most everything. If you try to arm them with anti tank weapons you'll find preds, dread and land speeders do their job better.

255 Posts
Just got back from playing an 1850 game vs. mech IG. My plasma cannon devastators wrecked two chimeras, destroyed a platoon command squad, a squad of psykers, and a valkyrie. Four S7 shots will glance/pen AV12 reliably at least once per round of shooting. And if you can get the blast to hit rear armor, it's about 50% of the time.

I'd say they made their points back. Again, there is no right or wrong answer to Devastators vs Predators vs Dreadnoughts. Devastators fit my playstyle because I can 90% of the time get them into cover, they don't die to one melta shot, and having four S7 AP2 blasts *will* kill something every turn, guaranteed. They're very synergistic with the rest of my army too. People tend to forget about the dev squads when there's a land raider, two assault squads, some sanguinary guard, and a squad of 8 terminators in their face.

· Registered
670 Posts
Infantry with no ablative wounds means they get shot to hell right away and detract from your light av spam so they aren't sucking up too much firepower from your opponent anyway. They compete with predators which are actually efficient. In addition plasma cannons don't do crap to mech or adequately spread troops which is most everything. If you try to arm them with anti tank weapons you'll find preds, dread and land speeders do their job better.
I couldn't have said better. I'm going to go as far as giving someone some rep too, first time for everything I guess :biggrin:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.