Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
345 Posts
Try a stelek "best of list" those are about as good as I have seen space marines get.

2000 Pts - Space Marines Roster - Critical Mass

1 Space Marine Librarian @ 100 pts (Power Armour; Null Zone; Vortex of Doom)

1 Dreadnought @ 125 pts (Twin Linked Autocannon x2)

4 Tactical Squad @ 175 pts (Bolter x4)
1 Sergeant (Combi-Flamer)
1 Razorback (Lascannon and TL Plasmagun)

5 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers [WH] @ 120 pts (Meltagun x2)
1 Rhino [WH] (Storm Bolter)

5 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers [WH] @ 120 pts (Meltagun x2)
1 Rhino [WH] (Storm Bolter)

2 Land Speeder Squadron @ 180 pts (Heavy Bolter x2; Typhoon Missile Launcher x2)

2 Land Speeder Squadron @ 180 pts (Heavy Bolter x2; Typhoon Missile Launcher x2)

2 Land Speeder Squadron @ 140 pts (Multi-Melta x2; Heavy Flamer x2)

1 Predator @ 85 pts (Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Autocannon; Heavy Bolter (each side))

1 Predator @ 85 pts (Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Autocannon; Heavy Bolter (each side))

Total Roster Cost: 2000
Everything in the list can kill tanks and infantry. Sure you can't kill big hammer units easily, well what are they going to do to you anyway have full need 6's to hit my vehicles or killing only 1 of my vehicles a turn If i spread out and don't let you multi assault. Everything is fairly close points cost wise so there is no obvious threat or linchpin unit, it simply challenges you to deal with that many tanks before it take apart your mobility and firepower.

· Registered
345 Posts
Im looking at that list and thinking wheres the soul? wheres the personality?
it looks good n all but its just an empty shell lol
personality and theme can be achieved with good painting and modelling. also that isn't the point of this list, this is a competitive list first and foremost it is trying to make a list that is as good as you can get. while it may seem empty and soulless to you someone who's been running it for a while may develop a good feel for it, after people have different concepts of fun.

pathfinder61 said:
Where is the land raiders
I really hope your being sarcastic.....

they are off somewhere else being expensive and easily blocked while requiring you to dedicate your army to close combat that you don't support particularly well out side of certain builds. yeah raiders in a marine army are by no means necessary.

· Registered
345 Posts
I forgot about Vulkan. He's also very good. Running Vulkan makes for a very good mid to short range firepower army.

I'm not joking about Devastators. :D

For the points, there is no better shooty unit in the SM codex. ML devs are very versatile, and plasma cannon devs can obliterate at least one unit per turn. 180 points for a 4x Plasma Cannon dev squad. They can wipe out most squads in 1-2 rounds of shooting. Run two and watch those TEQ/MEQ squads drop. This is just based on my local metagame, but I've done very well running a Shrike/Terminator/Scouts/PC Devastators build in tournaments in the past as well.

However, with the release of the Blood Angels codex, I've switched from Shrike/Codex Marines to exclusively using Blood Angels. If you want an assault oriented marine army, BA are going to be better than anything in the vanilla SM codex.

edit: And their devastators are much cheaper!
Infantry with no ablative wounds means they get shot to hell right away and detract from your light av spam so they aren't sucking up too much firepower from your opponent anyway. They compete with predators which are actually efficient. In addition plasma cannons don't do crap to mech or adequately spread troops which is most everything. If you try to arm them with anti tank weapons you'll find preds, dread and land speeders do their job better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.