Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Help building a list for a friend.

2K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  HV911Apophus 
#1 ·
So I have a friend who is getting in into the hobby and is gonna be playing IG. I personally play Nids but we are going to be playing each other often and neither of us know the IG units very well, so we would like a list that will play well against mine so that we can have fun games and never really know who is gonna win.

My list is
Jormangundr battalion
2x flyrants w/ MST, Devs
2x 24x termagants w/ fleshborers
16x genestealers w/ 4x acid maws

Jormangundr vanguard
Neurothrope w/synaptic lynchpin and norncrown
6x hive guard
3x venomthropes
2 x pyrovores

Jormangundr spear head
Neurothrope
2 x exocrine
2x carnifex w/ MST and Devs

It comes out to 2k points.

We have an agreement in place due to local meta that we won't be using forgeworld. Any help I can get on building a list for my friend would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
That's going to depend on the kind of list he likes to play. Does he prefer Infantry and/or Vehicles, or have a preference for a specific Regiment?

Anyway, some things that would at the very least be useful against both you and others:

Infantry Squads - Your average Guardsman is a pretty solid choice when he's got enough friends along. Season with Heavy and/or Special Weapons of choice. All have their place, though Plasma Gun is probably the most common. Note it's usually better to park a Lascannon in an Infantry Squad than a dedicated Heavy Weapons Squad as it requires killing a bunch of Guardsmen before the enemy can take the expensive heavy weapon out.

Company Commander(s) - Because those average Guardsmen get decidedly more nasty and dangerous when they're being properly ordered about.

Heavy Weapons Squad - Usually carrying mortars about, as they're cheap (important because any wound will instantly get to a Heavy Weapon) and effective.

Psyker support - Primaris Psyker(s) and/or Astropaths. Because some Mortal Wounds are never a bad thing when they happen to the enemy, the Psykana discipline is pretty good, and it helps to nerf enemy Psykers.

Leman Russ Tanks - Whether as Tank Commander or as a normals, fairly solid choice. The normal, Executioner, Demolisher variants can fill both anti-tank(well, anti-monster against you) and anti-infantry roles, Punishers do particularly well against infantry. Note the Punisher especially benefits from the Tank Commander's better BS.

Wyvern - Bane of infantry and not half bad at shaving wounds from anything else either.

Depending on Regiment choice there's a lot of others that can be mixed in, but these are all generally useful.

#3 ·
For now let's try to stick to a balance of infantry and armour, and I figure he will likely be using Cadia or Armageddon's regimental doctrine.

This is gonna be a rough draft that me and him can work at perfecting to his preferences.

#4 ·
Okay, lessee... Quick stab, using most of the contents of 6 Start Collecting boxes as a starting point because why not. He might be able to build the Company Commanders from a single Command Squad kit, though I'd recommend grabbing at least two as there's interesting bits in there to up the variety in the Infantry squads. Only other things are an Astropath and Primaris thrown in for psyker support.

Imperial Guard Brigade +12 CP

HQ
3 Company Commanders (Bolt Pistol, Chainsword)
TROOPS
6 Infantry Squads (3 with Lascannons, 3 with a Plasma Gun)
ELITE
2 Commissars (Bolt Pistols again. I said MOST of the contents... We can't find a real use for 6 Commissars, unfortunately. Plus, Rule of Three. )
1 Astropath
HEAVY SUPPORT
Heavy Weapon Squad (3 mortars)

Astra Militarum Spearhead Detachment +1 CP
HQ
Primaris Psyker

HEAVY SUPPORT
Leman Russ Demolisher (w/Lascannon, and Plasma Sponsons)
Leman Russ Executioner (w/Lascannon, and Plasma Sponsons)
Leman Russ Vanquisher (w/Lascannon, and Plasma Sponsons)

Astra Militarum Supreme Command Deatchment +1 CP
Tank Commander (Punisher, w/Lascannon, and Plasma Sponsons)
Tank Commander (Battle Cannon, w/Lascannon, and Plasma Sponsons)

That's... already a lot of models and there's some 170 points left over. Could up the Spearhead to a Brigade with Yet More Infantry Squads, but for the sake of his enjoyment adding in some variation with at least the leftover points would probably be a good idea. Tossing out a Start Collecting or two to bring in some other stuff works just as well. Remember most units are plenty viable, something like a group of Bullgryns with perhaps a Priest to give him a good counter-charge unit might be an idea, or a Manticore for added artillery firepower.

#5 · (Edited)
Not gonna lie that is a ton of models, and I'm sure it would be fun to play against but... Your brigade is missing 2 heavy support choices and 3 fast attack options. I wouldn't let you have the +12 cp for it and I would say it isn't battle forged either.

Would it work better to toss in some scout walkers or hellhounds for the fast attack slots. Then move some tanks from the spearhead into the brigade... It could still function...

#6 · (Edited)
Correct. That's what I get for not considering requirements for a Brigade properly (the Troops are usually the problem for... well, EVERYONE else). Let's just fold the Spearhead in there and pick some Fast Attack (as I said, we had like 170 points left). 3 Armoured Sentinels with Missile Launchers give us some nice additional (and dial-a-yield) firepower and we'll STILL have points left over, though at this point we should really consider dropping a Leman Russ I think.

In my experience, at a 2K points level having at least one unit that knows what it's doing in melee is a good idea.

EDIT:

Imperial Guard Brigade +12 CP

HQ
3 Company Commanders (Bolt Pistol, Chainsword)
Primaris Psyker

TROOPS
6 Infantry Squads (3 with Lascannons, 3 with a Plasma Gun)

ELITE
2 Commissars (Bolt Pistols again. I said MOST of the contents... We can't find a real use for 6 Commissars, unfortunately. Plus, Rule of Three. )
1 Astropath

HEAVY SUPPORT
Heavy Weapon Squad (3 mortars)
Leman Russ Demolisher (w/Lascannon, and Plasma Sponsons)
Leman Russ Executioner (w/Lascannon, and Plasma Sponsons)
Leman Russ Vanquisher (w/Lascannon, and Plasma Sponsons)

FAST ATTACK
3 Armoured Sentinels (Missile Launchers)

Astra Militarum Supreme Command Deatchment +1 CP
Tank Commander (Punisher, w/Lascannon, and Plasma Sponsons)

#7 ·
Punched all that into battlescribe and still have 187 points to spare... so here is my edit

Brigade

3x company commander w/ chainsword and bolt pistol
1x primaris psyker

2x infantry squads w/ plasma gun
1 x infantry squad w/ voxcaster and plasma gun
2x infantry squad w/ lazcannon
1x infantry squad w/ voxcaster and lazcannon

3 x armoured sentinals w/ missle launcher

1x astropath
2 x commisar w/ bolt pistol and power sword

1x heavy weapons squad w/ 3x mortar
1x demolisher Russ w/ lazcannon and plasma sponsons
1x vanquisher Russ w/ lazcannon and plasma sponsons
1x executioner Russ w/ lazcannon and plasma sponsons

Supreme command

1x tank commander w/ punisher, lazcannon and plasma sponsons
2x tank commander w/ battle cannon, lazcannon and plasma sponsons.

Fills out the full 2k and still covers all the bases. Not sure how well it stands to my nid list but it's a start.

#8 ·
Fills out the full 2k and still covers all the bases. Not sure how well it stands to my nid list but it's a start.
Yeah, that's the main remaining issue. I don't play enough Guard - or often enough against Nids - to say how well it matches up. Looks like a pretty decent all comers list though, and I think you've got some counters to each other. I'm not sure how it will shake out but suspect player skill will be a major factor :victory:

The main thing I think the Guard is missing is that counter-charge unit. The Flyrants especially are likely to be a pain. Though there's something to be said for just filling the air with firepower to bring them down. Your main problem OTOH would likely be the sheer number of Wounds the Guard (esp. the tanks) can absorb... It's pretty fluffy at least :)

I think you just need to sit down with your friend and see what kind of army he wants to play. Imperial Guard has a large toolbox to draw from, from subtle Ratlings to not-so-subtle Baneblades, so can accommodate a number of styles.

#9 ·
Hrmm. Something else I just realized, half of those Leman Russ variants require the Demolisher kit rather than the normal Leman kit as found in Start Collecting. So I kinda failed my original idea of building around that :blush:

#12 ·
Full tempestus... His suggested list is as follows

Battalion
--------------
HQS
Tempestor prime w/ hotshot lazpistol and chainsword
Primaris psyker

TROOPS
3 x 10 scoins w/ plasmagun, flamer and vox caster

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS
3 x turox prime w/autocannons and missile launcher

Spearhead
-----------------
HQS
Tank commander w/ punisher and 3 heavy bolter

HEAVY SUPPORT
1 leeman Russ w/ battle cannon and 3 heavy bolter
1 leeman Russ w/ executioner and 3 heavy bolter
1 wyvern

Superheavy Aux
-------------------------
1 baneblade w/ full lazcannon sponsons...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.