Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to 40k and Im at the army picking stage. I have a general idea in that I know I want to be one of these armies: Dark Eldar, Tau, Orks, or Nids. Your oppinion would be much appreciated, and by the way the toughness of an army to play isn't a factor to me, because I enjoy a challenge.

·
Registered
95 Posts
All interesting choices in their own rights. I haven't seen a Dark Eldar army yet so I don't know about them. Tau are very shooty and can be quite nice if that's your style of play. Orks and Tyranids are more close combat oriented. I'm more familiar with the Tyranids. They are nasty. They have a lot of special rules to keep in mind but I suppose most armies do. You'll find their armor saves aren't worth the tissue paper they seem to be made out of. Except one special power they don't even have an invulnerable save. They specialize in hordes but don't count their big guys out. Orks are probably the funniest of the choices you listed. With them, saying things like Da Boyz and Killa Kan is common place and Waaaaaagh! can become a battle cry when you roll the dice (I've seen it, and yes, it is quite fun and funny)

All in all the chioce is yours and how you prefer to play. Close combat oriented? Go with Orks or Tyranids. Like range? Go with Tau. Hard hitting and running? Dark Eldar. Of course they can all go with any style of combat, for the most part they just seem to synergize better with ccertain styles of play.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dark Eldar: NO!!!!! I've heard they are hard to play with when you haven't gotten a good grasp on strategies and tactics through experience. If you ever get a second army, they would be a great army because, used correctly, they are nearly unstoppable. However, as a first army, you should get one of the other armies.

Tau: They're incredible at long range combat and their forces are very mobile. However, they can be completely destroyed if engaged in close combat (even if you're using kroot), but used correctly, the tau's mobility and firepower should stop most enemies from getting close too your troops

Orks: They're a horde army, they have some cool looking vehicles, and they have a new codex. What's not to like?

Tyranids: Basically orks only with MANY more options for customizing your troops, in the form of biomorphs. On one hand, this makes them a lot more fun to play. On the other hand, this might make them too complicated for a first army.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Go with Orks. I have been playing them for over a year and just started using the new codex. The new codex is great. I have been playing a campaign with the guys from the hobby shop on Monday nights and the orks are kicking ass. I have lost once and that was to a fast Eldar army. The new orks can hang against any army out there now. They are fun to play and have endless possibilities when it comes to modeling. The models are cheap but the idea of the orks is they beat you into submission. I would suggest you go to the Games Workshop site and read up on the armies you are looking at this is an expensive hobby. Hope this helps and try to gather information from other sites also before you make your final desicion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
-Dark Eldar is hard to play with at first because it requires a great tactical eye for things. They are defiantely an amazing army though.
-Tyranids cool models and fun to paint. if you like the feeling of deploying your troops and then looking at your opponet and all they are doing is :( then this army is great. Its a very good demoralizer and destroyer of dreams.
-Orks. basically when you play with orks there's always a "chance" of being amazing. I emphasize "change" becasue most of their units are :crazy:. ex: ork truk gets blown up, ork player rolls dice on a 5+ he/she rolls a direction die and the truck moves 3d6 in that direction tank charging. which means your own people or the enemy.
-tau have overpowering technology. better range. powerful guns. not good at fending off an all out assault though. good army but, less tactial abilities.

I would go with orks because of the conversion/mods factor. and the're funny:grin:

·
Registered
49 Posts
they are all good choices I have played against all of them many times they all have great potential if you want an easier army to work with I would go with the orks but I personally would say nids they are fun to build paint and not to mention what other army can claim to have the ability to get 9 monsterous creatures they are a real nasty army if played rite I wish you luck in your choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm new to 40k and Im at the army picking stage. I have a general idea in that I know I want to be one of these armies: Dark Eldar, Tau, Orks, or Nids. Your oppinion would be much appreciated, and by the way the toughness of an army to play isn't a factor to me, because I enjoy a challenge.
im sorry, but none of those armies are worth anything...
if you want a real army go with the guard, marines, or one of the ordos armies

(but seriously, dont play dark eldar. their HQs are the only things that can do anything. my brother plays, it takes his whole army to damage a chimera...)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
im sorry, but none of those armies are worth anything...
if you want a real army go with the guard, marines, or one of the ordos armies
i wouldnt say that these armies are worthless. they may not be as tough as the SMs or have as many tanks as the Guard, but they specilise in thjeir own form of fighting.
the orcs and 'Nids can be incredibly impressive when they get into close combat, and have the numbers to survive the journey.

the tau have one of the most varied armies in the 40k world; they have their Fire Warriors: big guns and long range
Tanks: huge guns and longer range
Kroot: fast, powerful and deadly in close combat.

the DE are more of a hit-and-run army. they shoot forwards on their numerous light vehicles and hoverboards, slicing into the enemy lines before dissapering back into the shadows...

anyway, remember that the final choice is up to you. find an army that suits your personality, and youll do well :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Space Marines or Chaos, buy the codex learn the rules then build a army don't turn up and put what you have in your case on the board because you might get upset at loosing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Of the listed, I would recommend either Tau or Orks depending upon whether you prefer hand-to-hand combat or ranged fighting. I don't know you, so I can't do anything further than that.

Generally, I would suggest your basic space marines for a first army. They do everything well and are among the most forgiving of all the armies of tactical mistakes.

I would have to say DEFINATELY NO to Dark Eldar. They are like an silenced .22, absolutley deadly if you're a good shot and understand how to use it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Orks are fun and powerfull. I have Orks, Eldar, Guard, and Necrons. The only army that ever gets played by me is Orks. The other armies can not compete with the fun factor. :so_happy:

Nightbringer 416 your ideas of the Ork Trukk Ramshacle rule are flawed. When the truck scatters (Kareen!) it stops 1" away from enemy models or terrain. So not quite as :crazy: as ya think.

·
Registered
620 Posts
well i would strongly say not to go with Dark Eldar first
hard army to start with

but between the last 3
i would go with w/e u want as a style for an army

Tau is a good shooting army
Tyranid is good close up army that is ANNOYING to play against
and i honestly dont know much about the Orks

but just go with what u want kind of army u want
NOT DARK ELDAR FIRST!!!!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi,

I playTyranid so I will focus on them. Fluff wise they are quite enjoyable, the fourth edition models are fantastic and fourth edition rules have left them fairly well off in my opinion. There is a wealth of conversion options and you have lots of flexibility when creating your list. However, you will find that you will always be the one to attack. Games start to follow the same pattern very quickly. You will find your opponents will sit back and let you foot slog across the board. While it is refreshing to be the aggressor, it would be nice to have the option of sitting back and defending as at least viable. My gripe aside, a good choice for a first army.

Oh, I would avoid raveners, lictors and gargoyles - expensive models and very short life span for a big points cost. Thats just opinion mind you.

Hope that helps,

Zeldrin

·
Registered
162 Posts
it's funny how everyone says NO DARK ELDAR but, every time i see a dark eldar player come in to play whixh is not alot they completely rape (excuse the language) everybody.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well, when I was picking my 2nd army it was a toss up between Tau and Orks, in the end I went with Tau, and while there were a few factors that steered me towards the path of the greater good, I could've easily went the other way, the Ork models look great and they offer some great conversion possibilities.

In the end it came down to the Orks unpredictability. While it can make for a fun game it could also be frustrating, and since I am more of a controlled and coordinated commander, a rampaging greenskin horde didn't appeal to me as much as the cool and calm efficiency of the Tau.

Having said that, I've seen these new Orks in action and they can be devastating if handled properly, but I think Tau really are the essential shooters army.

As for 'Nids, I despise these fuckers, they are easily one of my most common and most hated opponents, the other being Eldar. I have suffered terrible losses at the hands of these armies, time and time again, but it's so satisfying to wipe the bastards off the table when things are going good.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Well My 3rd army would be Imperial Guard because i like there voystron / valhallen models, and there usually big in size for army points.

but for a first army or a different army for me
Orks
Marines were my first i was Ultra for a few days then went to blood angels i loved them then i went space wolves and i love them even more
Eldar was my 2nd army and i think they need a bit of tactics behind them with there different aray of aspect troops and some of there weaker choices.

Read the codex and make a army list post it here for us to revise before you go to a beginners and you wont be dissaponted

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm going to have to say that you should just pick it out yourself. While all armies play somewhat differently, and some call for less tactics, and some are less forgiving, none of this matters if you don't like the models that you're handling. The models are such a big aspect of the hobby that the whole army list, army creation, army painting, and just playing are going to revolve around these models.

I suggest that you choose the army based around which models you like the most. If you like all the models, go to a local retailer that stocks 40k supplies and flip through all of the Codices (is that even the right word? I always forget the plural of "codex" no matter how much I read it) and read up on the army's fluff. That should help guide you.

But of those armies, I would personally pick Tau. The whole "you can touch me if you make it across the board" idea is something I really like, but it might not be for everyone. Plus I think the "stream-lined" style of all of the Tau forces looks really cool. And to top it off, they sort of remind me of a the Protoss from Starcraft.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts