Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten into orks lately and am trying to figure out what works but i keep coming to a standsill. I do really well in the beginning of every game but after i slaughter the smaller stuff, their other stuff winds up crushing me. The only things that seem to earn their points for me are my boyz squads. I've tried using bikes, I have the forgeworld warboss on a bike, i've messed with dreads and kans, a wagon and aside from one game where a dread went in and took out a whole tyranid warrior squad with a tyranid prime they've not done a thing.

My trukk squads do well usually but need to be backed up by bigger squads. When they go in on their own against anything kind of assaulty my luck has been i always fail my leadership, kill a model to use my boss pole, fail that too, run away and ge slaughtered because my initiative is so low. very frustraing.

My big boy squads have been my biggest pleasure and I'm gonna start integrating them in tandem with my trukks. I also like my 20 man shoota boy squads i've tried on 2 different occasions. I've also had a decent amount of success with lootas as well.

So my next army is gonna look like this

3 squads of trukk boyz with nob, pk, bp 147 each 441
2 squads of 30 boyz with 3 big shootas, nob, p 230 each 460
1 squad of 20 shoota boyz with 2 big shootas, nob, pk, bp 170
15 lootas 225

that brings me up to 1296. We usually play 1500 - 2000 pts. any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I will also put this in the army list section.

thanks
dirty

·
Registered
212 Posts
Trukk boys packs a punch, but not a knockout, more like a body blow on Iron Man... 12 boys aren´t as effective charging as a 20 man is (of obvious reasons), but 12 man squads break as easily as paper, while 20 man squads stand and fight another round.

If I were you, I´d try proxying 2 bw´s filled to the brim with 20 boys, and run them alongside your trukks, and send them into the units that are big´n nasty.

Also you need a HQ, warboss in eavy armor and PK with squig and Cybork, who you pack in a BW and get him stuck in reeeally good :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
You may also be haveing a problem with engageing the wrong units with ur units like dont charge assult terminators with boyz it just ends bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also having backup boyz arrive in combat that last more than a round is good.
Once your furious charge str drops back to normal it is good to have "fresh legs" come in to help mop up.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Trukk Boyz can't fight dedicated CC units or even Tactical Marines without support. Use them as mop up or diversions, but don't rely on them.

Foot Boyz are too slow and vulnerable to mech (one exception is Kanwall). If you're gonna take bigger mobs, put them in Battlewagons.

I'd stick those Boyz in Battlewagons, add Nobs in a BW, add a KFF and Warboss (makes the nobs Troops), and pick up some Buggies as well as more Lootas. Use Lootas/Buggies to suppress/disable mech and then just rush a ton of boyz into somebody's face turn 2.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like tinytim said, you may have engaged the wrong units at the wrong time. You should be focusing on killing his stronger units first, and not fight with melee termies or other melee based marine army without softening them up with dakka.

It will help if you can tell us what are you facing, and we'll find ways to counter it. :p

·
Registered
670 Posts
3 squads of trukk boyz with nob, pk, bp 147 each 441
2 squads of 30 boyz with 3 big shootas, nob, p 230 each 460
1 squad of 20 shoota boyz with 2 big shootas, nob, pk, bp 170
15 lootas 225
Trukk boyz suck I'm afriad. They have low numbers so kill 4 and they could run. 12 boyz in a trukk don't last long at all, plus they're not brilliant in combat.

The shoota boyz on foot will get picked off.

Lootas are good.

You need a HQ and to get the army sorted as half on foot half in transport. If you're doing trukks make sure you take plenty of them. If you're going foot consider killa kanz as a kan wall formation ;)

Hope that helps mate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts