Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone.

Ok Im an oldie but a newbie. originally painted when I was about 14 (and was crappy) Now I have a 9 year old son who has just discovered the wonderful world of warhammer and has started painting. So i thought i'd have another look at the scene. Im now 36 (yep old un allert!!) and i have not piced up a brush to paint for that long I thought id document a little. I never played the games as a ikid - Just wanted tp paint to me and my son are learning together and we allready have started getting our armies together. Him with his ultra marines and I think im going to go a little mad and go for blood angels. he has painted his Black Reach army (I was allowed to do the dreadnaought though) I will post some pics as I go on building the army up. I just got the tactical squad so im building at the mo.

I have a quick question about basing. I really would like to place my captain on a rock formation like below but cant find out how or where i get or make the formations and what from. In the past i carved them out of cork bottle stoppers (just the right size) but these look moulded. Any help with this would be amazing. Thanks so much...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
im trying to find other examples or rock formations. i have seen them as piles of slate kind of thing but at the moment I cant put my mouse on them on the tinterweb!! any help would be ace as ill get a pic up asap of the first things i have done..

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :) With the bases you could use slate and other rocks, but don't pay too much for them, they are free if you look around outside...

A lot of people use tree bark for 'rock' bases, the best being something chunky like bits of pine bark. If you do a search in the tutorials or modelling and painting sections you are bound to find posts about basing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good to see more warriors of the imperium: death to all heretics.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Looking at that base, it really does look sculpted. slate and good small pieces of pine bark work nicely. it probably would not look AS good as the base in the picture you have posted, but you could get closer to that useing slate / pine bark.

that Base is probably a mix of sculpting and slate though, useing small peices of slate to elevate the big rock, the small stairs might be peices of slate put ontop of eachother then putting greenstuff in the corners to hide them and give the feeling of one big rock, coupled with putting some basing ontop of it. In the case of that rock, looks like sand.

But anyways.

Welcome to the site, I hope that you can find the help you are looking for here, and we hope to see your progress as you and your son hone yourselves to this game we all love.

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
not to pimp another site, but i've bought wonderful bases from Secret Weapon Miniatures. His themed bases are great. some good ones in an stone motif there as well. You might have some luck there. :)

cheers and welcome to Heresy-Online. :drinks:

Commissar Ploss

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for all the help. I think the base looks sculptured too but I will also look at the themed bases. I would like to make them as much myself as possible. I did a base over the weekend from cork 9any excuse to drink more wine) this works well and you can brush it up. Its also the perfect size to stick to a base. ive got some pics..ill get them up.

My son Finn spent the weekend doing hid ork defcoptaz!! NICE. Hes 9 and has a low attention span (half the reason were getting into this game) so the colour schemes are pretty wild! no rules though - thats what I like about painting!

ok pics.. ill get them up now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok here is a some pics of the commander on the cork base. With a couple of the boys from my blood angels (blackstripes) unit.. (dont ask me how this would work in a game!)

Let me know what you think

with some of the boys...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts