Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(i posted this in the grey knights army list section before checking my messages and realizing i should have posted it here)
But hello everyone, I've been skimming over a bunch of blogs the past week or so and decided I'd join this one. Thanks for having me and I hope with time and experience I can be a nice asset to the site.

Alright so I'm looking to start a Grey Knights army. It's in the works, I just bought 2 terminator squads as well as a grey knight squad.
Now my questions are...

1.) I was looking into the whole Coteaz and henchmen idea, and I think I may go that route. However Deathcult Assassins are pretty expensive, $16 for 2. But I noticed some people sometimes use other models in place of them(Dark Eldar Witches). So I thought about buying some SW wolf claws and sticking them on regular grey knights in place of the deathcult models because I think it'd look awesome and save me a few bucks. The question is, can I do this and still legally play with them, or will people constantly give me shit for not having the "real" models?

2.) I see a lot of people using tanks a lot, but for some reason I just don't like them lol. I'd rather have more men, they look cooler, not to mention tanks aren't cheap, and they use up a lot of paint. And from the videos I've been watching on youtube they don't seem to do much. They don't kill much, are kind of expensive pointswise, and always just seem to die. However I do like the idea of using them as cover, and also if I use Deathcult assassins I fear it may be difficult getting them in close combat without dying before they get there because I don't think they can deep strike. So the question is, are tanks really a necessity, and if so which are the best?

Any tips or feedback anyone has would be nice, and I apologize if this has already been asked or if it is in the wrong category.

This is a list I'm working on, not sure about what upgrades and weapons to use so it kind of varies until I get a better feel for the game, but it goes something like:

HQ:
Coteaz
Elites:
10x Paladins
Troops:
two groups 5x Deathcult Assassins, 3x Crusaders, 2x Jakaero
Fast Attack: (only in higher point games)
2x Stormravens (I was only going to use one but they seem to be big targets and I thought it better to have two.)
Heavy Support:
2x Dreadnoughts with twin-linked auto cannons

Basically my thinking is have the paladins deep strike to the center of the board. Shoot and advance. With the henchmen groups I would just march them up allowing the crusaders in front to soak up any firepower until my deathcults get into range and using the jakearo for the bonuses and some added firepower. or stick them in the stormravens and bring them up. and the dreadnoughts i'd leave in the back or as far as possible and use them to blow up tanks and anything else my men on foot can't tackle.
So, what do you guys think?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Welcome aboard mate, good to have you along. Your second smart move so far. The first was to choose the very pinnacle of the Imperium as your army and not be swayed by the momentary popularity of certain Xeno Robocultists.

1.) I was looking into the whole Coteaz and henchmen idea, and I think I may go that route. However Deathcult Assassins are pretty expensive, $16 for 2. But I noticed some people sometimes use other models in place of them(Dark Eldar Witches). So I thought about buying some SW wolf claws and sticking them on regular grey knights in place of the deathcult models because I think it'd look awesome and save me a few bucks. The question is, can I do this and still legally play with them, or will people constantly give me shit for not having the "real" models?
I have used converted Eldar Howling Banshees as my DCA's. I think most players won't have a problem with proxying so long as you make some kind of effort to make them look correct, it is clear what they are armed with etc and that you're no gaining an unfair advantage with the models you use. No using grots as Daemon Princes for example.

2.) I see a lot of people using tanks a lot, but for some reason I just don't like them lol. I'd rather have more men, they look cooler, not to mention tanks aren't cheap, and they use up a lot of paint. And from the videos I've been watching on youtube they don't seem to do much. They don't kill much, are kind of expensive pointswise, and always just seem to die. However I do like the idea of using them as cover, and also if I use Deathcult assassins I fear it may be difficult getting them in close combat without dying before they get there because I don't think they can deep strike. So the question is, are tanks really a necessity, and if so which are the best?
Armour and vehicles in general are going off the boil a bit, they are a lot more vulnerable in 6th Ed. They aren't the "must have" they once were. You can always protect DCA's with Crusaders.

HQ:
Coteaz
Elites:
10x Paladins
Troops:
two groups 5x Deathcult Assassins, 3x Crusaders, 2x Jakaero
Fast Attack: (only in higher point games)
2x Stormravens (I was only going to use one but they seem to be big targets and I thought it better to have two.)
Heavy Support:
2x Dreadnoughts with twin-linked auto cannons
Get more shooty stuff. DCA's aren't the Death Star they once were and a shooty Warband tends to be of more use. It will also go a long way to redressing the lack of numbers in GK armies.

Stormravens are good but 1 is usually enough.

Again welcome and feel free to ask as much as you like, you'll not find a more helpful group on the net and occasionally we get it right too !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the nice welcome ha. I chose GK's because I think they fit my personality(i like the idea of being a pure unwavering soldier purging evil) plus they just look awesome IMO.
Would proxying be a problem in an official tournament setting, like at games day?
and what units in a grey knight or henchmen army would you say are best for shooting? i would guess strike squads and/or acolytes?
i decided to combat the GK's low numbers with the coteaz/henchmen thing, so if i took out a stormraven that'd leave a decent amount of room for more troops to shoot stuff.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Proxying and the rules pertaining there to are usually outline in the Tournament rules or "Briefing Pack" that most clubs do. If not there is always time to check before the Tournie begins.

Really anyone who won't let you use a well made and WYSIWYG proxy is just being a douche. There are however plenty of said douches in the Tournie scene.

Pretty much all the GK units are well tooled up for shooting. Getting as many Psycannons as you can are the key and for that you need the 3 "P"'s Purifiers, Purgators and Paladins.

back up a solid gun line of P's with heap of meat shields in the form of Acolytes and you're on a winner I reckon.

What I have found helpful is to decide on a 3000 (or there abouts) list that covers all the bases. You can then create smaller lists from those components.

That should give you a reasonably good idea of where to spend your money.

Reactions: Parsifal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like what I've seen purifiers do with cleansing flame in some videos I've watched. Should I give them incinerators or do you think psycannons would be more effective?

In a 3000 point list Purifiers would definitely be on there, Crowe was actually my first choice for an HQ.

I'm kind of stuck between a Draigo/Paladin build, Crowe/Purifier build, and a Coteaz/Henchmen build. I assume they can all be effective, but would hybirds of any of those strategies work effectively? I guess really the only difference is which units become troops and which are elites.

I suppose it would be wise to have all 3 options available and decide which to use depending on what army I'm facing and the points. I liked Draigo/Paladin armies a lot until I saw them get raped and just outnumbered by Tyranids and shot down by Tau.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I like what I've seen purifiers do with cleansing flame in some videos I've watched. Should I give them incinerators or do you think psycannons would be more effective?
While a heap of Incinerators will give you an awesome overwatch capability the Psycannon is more "usable" with it's longer range etc.

I'm kind of stuck between a Draigo/Paladin build, Crowe/Purifier build, and a Coteaz/Henchmen build. I assume they can all be effective, but would hybirds of any of those strategies work effectively? I guess really the only difference is which units become troops and which are elites.
You need to work on Hybrids. Have "cheap" troopies to soak up the enemy fire and nab objectives and then an elite hammer to strike the blows.

I suppose it would be wise to have all 3 options available and decide which to use depending on what army I'm facing and the points. I liked Draigo/Paladin armies a lot until I saw them get raped and just outnumbered by Tyranids and shot down by Tau.
Numbers is the GK weakness. If you can over come that you'll be in a much better place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks magpie you've been a great help in answering my questions and giving me some more ideas to toss around as i build my army. i gave you +1 rep.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
No problems mate.

The only other thing I'll say, magnetise - do it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, yeah trust me I've been thinking about it. I haven't even started putting my guys together yet because I still need to buy the paint, primer, sprayer, brushes, glue, magnets, clippers, flock, dice, etc... but by the time I get all of that I'll probably be looking at $200 or so. So I'm just going to build up my army for now and focus on getting everything I need to play because unfortunately I can't afford to buy everything at once, especially not with Christmas coming up lol...

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Yeh I know how that is. Fortunately GK's are pretty easy to magnetise. 3mm is all you need. Do two guys in each squad as the Hvy Weapons Troopers and be able to swap Halberds fr Swords on the others. Have one per squad as a permanent Hammer dude and the Justicar can have either a Staff or Sword.

That step up covers most of my lists anyways.

So get building ! and Pic's are mandatory

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have a GK army right? Is there pics of it anywhere? I know the standard paint job is mainly silver,with gold and red details here and there. But I see it too much. I think I'm going to make mine black and gold, with maybe like a royal blue/purple color for the cloth and banners. And then for the power weapons make them purple and black.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your guys look sweet, I like Mordrak. You have some pretty old models it looks like. I'll post pics when I get mine together so everyone can see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts