Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My wife and I are familiar with the hobby in general to an extent but this is the first game that we're going to be serious about picking up.
Earlier today I got a fairly good deal (I hope) on a small collection to get us started. The collection was 1 6th ed Dark vengeance box, the most recent Tyranid and Chaos daemon codexs, 2 boxes of Plague bearers, 1 box of Daemonettes, 1 box of Hormagaunts, and 1 box of Ork boyz.
With the exception of a few models, all are either on the sprue or primed.
Right now the armies that we think might be fun are: Chaos daemons, Chaos marines, Dark eldar, Orks, and Tyranids.
If anybody can suggest of how to actually get started that would be very appreciated. I highly doubt we would be going to a tournament or anything of the sort. My wife isn't really a social person.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Also, tournaments are not a good place to have fun, in my experience! Too much nerd, sweaty, stinky competitiveness!
Welcome to the board guys! Glad to see some girl into this hobby: my girlfriend too plays Chaos Marines and a small band of daemons :) (girls loves chaos, you'd never say uh?)
First thing first: select two armies to begin with. If you have no purpouse, you'll lose momentum and even the will of keep painting :)
For starters, you could go with chaos marines (you have a bunch of marines models already, even the Dark ANgels just need to be "chaosified" into Fallens) and Orks. Orks and chaos are a very funny and cinematic match up for games and have a totally different painting style.
For the orks i suggest a Warboss, another 2 box of boyz, a battlewagon and some bikers. To mathc the whole chaos force you should need another battlewagon, some deffkoptas and some lootas.
With this stuff you can go on for aloong time, just learning how to build an army and to properly play it on the field of battle!
Have fun and GLORY TO CHAOS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't seem like a bad idea really. Do you think a battleforce type box would be worth it at this point in time?
I'm not sure how to make the Dark angels look chaos-y but for the time being I swapped the macey bit with the head of a axe on one of the chaos marines with the boney armor. I plan to use him as a dark apostle and lead a bunch of cultists.
I was talking to my wife about what you said and she said she wants to run a chaos themed army.
I'm thinking that I'll focus my spending right now on a small core group of Orks, Chaos daemons, Nids, and Chaos marines.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome to Heresy!
I hope you (both) enjoy your stay with us...... :crazy:

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Hello and welcome to the boards.

As suggested it would probably be best to pick two armies that you like and build them into fighting forces. All the armies you mentioned would be fun to play chaos versus orks is always interesting. Orks vs Nids is always a good fight and generally a great punch fest.

anyway hope you have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions there are many places and many players to answer questions about different parts of the armies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.
Right now our collection has grown to include:
1 Ork codex, 2 painted Soulgrinders, 1 Shield of baal Broodlord & squad of Genestealers, 1 Deamon prince, 1 Dark vengeance aspiring champion, and enough new bits to make 3 Chaos terminator lords on various steeds.
Not quite sure on how to expand the orks, but my wife certinly seems happy about her *soon to be* Slaaneshi termi lord on a steed. Is 57$ a normal amount to spend on bits?

·
Registered
428 Posts
For the orks i suggest a Warboss, another 2 box of boyz, a battlewagon and some bikers. !
i agree with this if you are planning on continuing with orks i would suggest you cant go wrong with boys. orks are a swarm army so the more squishy Boys are always good.

the battle wagon and bikes is up to you as i might swap the battle wagon for some trukks but that's just me.

oh And welcome to the WAAAAAGH ....... honk!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Is 57$ a normal amount to spend on bits?
Maybe it depends on the bits and if they are in high demand. I use ebay a lot looking for bits because they have a feature on there that will give lowest price+shipping. It helps find some good cheap deals. I know I have easily spent that much trying to get specific bits to complete a model.

You can also post in the trading section on this forum that you are looking for certain bits and you are willing to trade xyz for bits or purchase them.

Good luck with you armies

1 - 9 of 9 Posts