Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been playing WHFB for a few years now and decided I missed WH40k, so I figured I'd crack out my 6 year old CSM models and look into getting back into things. The last time I played 40k was 4th edition so it has been a while for me. I really like the Iron Warriors Legion's use of big guns and vehicles so I was hoping to make a force with lots of heavy firepower and I also did not really want to use daemons or cultists, as I would like to keep true to an all marine army. I was wondering what the really popular heavy support choices are and if it is at all viable to run vanilla CSM units for troops? also I have refrained from buying a codex or rulebook for this edition as I have no idea if there are a new version of either coming out soon and would rather not buy a book only to replace it a few weeks later. Any advice would be great and thanks in advance. For the ruinous powers!

·
Registered
78 Posts
for Tzeentch
no new rule book or codex coming except smurfs. go a head and buy one if needed

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
G'day mate welcome back into it! The CSM are a funny list, I highly recommend @Mossy Toes' tactica thread

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160594

That should let you draw your own conclusions about how to employ your Traitor Marines.

For my part, I say to go all Khorne, all the time and run Daemonkin with superunits of Berserkers and Bloodletters... but that's not for everyone, or anyone who likes winning a lot...

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome aboard! :good:

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Always flattering to see my stuff plugged.

Standard CSM are in a bit of a predicament, honestly. They do most things not very well (but can still do them), and you can spend a decent chunk of points to make them to one thing pretty well, but still lose out compared to the flexibility, special rules, and weapons choices available to, say, Tactical Marines in a loyalist SM army. Can't Drop Pod in, can't Combat Squad, don't have ATSKNF or Chapter Tactics, don't get grav weapons... being able to buy some fancy marks and icons or go slightly more melee-focused is a decent silver lining, but not too powerful of one.

I am hoping and praying and making regular sacrifices to the Dark Gods that we get a new codex soon, though there hasn't been word--we're actually one of the older codexes around, at this point. The degree to which recent codexes have had their power level ramped up (Eldar, Necrons SM) makes the always struggling CSM book fall even more behind. Even Khorne Daemonkin was little more than a copy/paste of older rules with a few formations and a cool fluffy blood tithe mechanic: nowhere near the level of the books that bracketed it on either side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was pretty interested in doing an Iron Warriors army since none of my old chaos models that are still in good condition are painted, and they're in my opinion the most badass legion. I also like fielding lots of heavy support which fits with their theme. One thing I am finding issue with is I can't find anywhere that sells bits for havoc crews. Ah well I may have to buy predators I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
But all's not doom and gloom! CSM can and do still win with their book, and if you have a chat with your gaming group about fluff campaigns your CSM could have a great time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts