Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Hello and help?!

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  neferhet 
#1 ·
Hey,

My name is Adric and I am in Denmark. (what other details do you want? 34 yo, gay man, married, no kids (Yuck), size 42 feet, live in an apartment on the 6th floor and 14cm cock).

I am looking for an easy first game to pick up and play for a group of young adults (18-25yrs).

I am a teacher in a strange type of school that does not exist outside Scandinavia, where there are no exams or qualifications, students just go to find out what they are good at, what interests them and what direction they want to take in life. Subjects are quote existential (philosophy, pedagogy, civil society, social capital) as well as physical (sports, pioneering, pottery, music / recording studio skills). I have a subject on game theory and ludology (the study of games) and want to give my group a taste of war-hammer style gaming. They all have no experience in this (me too) so a simple game in this style using mini-figures (that they paint), cards and dice to give them a flavour of this style gaming and let them see if this is something that tickles their fancy.

Ok this is where it gets a bit weird, but I promise I am not on drugs!
I was recommended Assassinorum Execution Force by a man with one leg, a beard down to this belt and grew up on ships, and have bought a starter pack of very small (but stupidly expensive) paints and brushes from Dragons Lair (a game shop) where I met two clowns playing "Magic the Gathering" - who promised to come and teach my students how to play that!

But at the end of this fairy tale I want to know if AEF is any good? The reviews seem to suggest its too basic for "serious players" and the mini figures are why people should buy it, but is it a good choice for complete beginners?

Thanks in advance for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, welcome to Heresy. :)

Secondly, whereabouts in Denmark are you? The other resident Dane is quite mad! @Nordicus :grin:

I haven't played AEF myself, although I imagine a couple of the guys on here will have. There is also AoS (Age of Sigmar) which is apparently pretty quick to pick up and play.

:)

#3 ·
From a pedagogical perspective (yes, I recognize that you are from a non-traditional school) what's the purpose of the gaming experience?

Also being an educator and a long time gamer what are you hoping they would and get out of it? The social experience, the artistic experience, the practical mathematic experience, etc.?

#4 ·
As an educator I was also wondering what you hoping that the student learning outcome would be? It might help us direct you to a game or part of the game that will help you achieve those outcomes.

Welcome to the Heresy.

#5 · (Edited)
They all have no experience in this (me too) so a simple game in this style using mini-figures (that they paint), cards and dice to give them a flavour of this style gaming and let them see if this is something that tickles their fancy.
Welcome to the boards, fellow Dane :good:

From what i can read, your best bet to introduce your students to this form of hobby would be one of the boxed games. I'm talking these two:

Betrayal at Calth

Assassinorum: Execution Force

My reasoning for choosing these two are:

- The rules are quite simple compared to regular wargaming, and are included in the boxed game.
- You have models that are the same as regular 40k/30k games, so you get a taste of the artistic world that is Warhammer.
- You have dice, tactical cards, specific movement, shooting, close combat and overall strategy.
- You have to assemble and paint the miniatures yourself.

If your students like these sort of games, it could be a good introduction to the world of wargaming - I started my journey when I was a kid with HeroQuest and these are the same thing essentially.

But at the end of this fairy tale I want to know if AEF is any good? The reviews seem to suggest its too basic for "serious players" and the mini figures are why people should buy it, but is it a good choice for complete beginners?
For beginners it's quite good - Personally I like Betrayl at Calth more, but that is because it is a bit more advanced in terms of strategy. I play 40k and 30k myself, so my baseline is different than a complete beginner.

If nothing else, they have Gamenights in Dragons Lair on Mondays, so you can stop by and see what people are playing. Ask a few questions and take a look - People are always very welcoming and willing to explain things :)
I hope it helps :)

The other resident Dane is quite mad! @Nordicus
I'm not mad! I'm... persistent.

#6 ·
Educational outcome!

Hey fellow educators!

The experience alone is the only goal here. Maybe thats not a satisfying answer from an academic perspective but its all about giving the students new experiences in life and opening their eyes to parts of the world they have not seen and would not normally run into.

So maybe someone spends a day constructing, painting and playing the game and at the end of it gets interested in painting miniatures, maybe someone else looks to explore the world of War Hammer style games or constructing small models. or maybe they just think its a fun experience for a day and never think of it again. All outcomes are equally acceptable - it's all a part of the experience.

Hope that helps!
Adric

#7 ·
i'd get a look at the free (and extremely short) rules for Age of Sigmar. You can have a game with a handful of models and rules are (as above) free and easy to learn.
With 60-120 € you will be able to field either 25-50 models and have some variety.
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB...ing=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flat
In my opinion a boardgame like assassination, betrayal at calth and so on is not a "true" wargame, if you are aiming at that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.