Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

hellhound, firey death or a bit of range

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Sycoa 
#1 ·
just got a hellhound, now should i equip it with heavy flamer or heavy bolter?

#2 ·
heavy bolter all the way, reasoning: the inferno cannon has a 24" range, a flamer is what? 8" kinda useless IMO, unless you plan on getting right up close and personl with some poorly armoured unit. The HB is 36" and would compliment the infernocannon. "I know i just hit 6 guys with str 6 ap 4, but i still have 3 more shots..." just icing on the cake, IMO

#3 ·
I agree. The Heavy Bolter is by far the better choice because it complements the range.

There are serious hazards to putting you tanks within charge range of the enemy's Powerfists.

The real tough choice is whether or not to toss a Heavy Stubber into the mix.

#4 ·
can't do it any how, just looked at codex and i can only equip a heavy bolter, in my recent games (against eldar) my flamer guys have relly started to get stuck in and cause havoc. on another point, how does the inferno cannon template work? can you just place the template so it covers as many enemy models as possible (as it says in the IG codex) or do you still have to place the template thin end towqard the tank like you would a flamer?

#5 ·
the entire template must be in range.

so logic dictates that the narrow end should be pointed at the tank, rule lawyer wise you could place it side ways....but this would not win you many friends or people wanting to play a second game.

#6 ·
In the Hellhounds case, the template can be aligned however you wish. The template is supposed to represent where the jet of flame lands and the gunners can hose down a certain area if he wishes. If you need a graphic interpretation, look up images of WW2 american flame-thrower tanks in the Pacific Theatre...

#7 ·
so logic dictates that the narrow end should be pointed at the tank, rule lawyer wise you could place it side ways....but this would not win you many friends or people wanting to play a second game.
Only if they have no sense. The Inferno cannon has a much bigger fuel reserve than a hand held flamer, hence a lot more fire gets poured on per shot with the Tank Commander controlling the spray. You can align that template anyway you please and with perfect justification.

#8 ·
hmmm you are correct...they shoot it and drag it across giving the template the side to side profile...

i stand corrected...

#10 ·
Morgal, you can add a Pintle-mounted Heavy Stubber since it's a Vehicle Upgrade available to all IG vehicles (much like Extra Armor or Track Guards). A Pintle Heavy Stubber is a nice extra piece of war gear to graft onto a Hellhound, it gives you another set of 3 shots with 36" range at strength 4, which isn't bad for a 12 point defensive weapon.

But, I was reading my Codex, and I didn't see the option for a flamer. I thought that the hull-mounted weapon HAD to be a heavy bolter.

#11 ·
I'd slap a stubber on any vehicle you expect will be fighting mostly infantry. It's dirt cheap for what you get out of it. For whatever reason, even a Chimera becomes a serious threat when you've got the multi-laser, heavy bolter, and heavy stubber all firing together. I'd even issue 'em to Leman Russ tanks... occasionally, it's better to fire the heavy bolters, and the stubber adds a nice kick to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.