Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
may be sounds like a dumb question but its this possible? My friend plays with 3 Flyrants and Im playing game today and fielding my heldrake for the first time, can it flame other flyers?

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
I'd think yes, since a flyer can choose to make use of skyfire

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
since it can choose to have the skyfire rule for that turn..it looks like it can!

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I would say no, template and blast weapons can't have skyfire.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Scsco nailed it. Regardless of who's firing, template and blast can't be used against air targets. It's why the Stormraven with Plasma Cannons ends up in a 'bomber' role.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I would say no, template and blast weapons can't have skyfire.
you mean cannot snap fire.

EDIT: also, checked, they CAN have skyfire, but they specifically CANNOT target flyiers in zoom mode...so, it's a no.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Well, flamer and blast templates can't hit flyers in swoop mode, right?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
another rules issue! lol
oh not really. they have skyfire but cannot target the zooming / swooping models... clunky solution, as usual.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A flyer can choose to fire with the skyfire special rule. The Skyfire special rules states that snap shots made at FMC flyers skimmers (and probably jet bikes or something else) are made at full ballistics skill. Firing at the swooping (or gliding can never remember which around it is) FMC is still therefore a snapshot, and template weapons cannot make snap shots ergo it cannot fire the baleflamer at the FMC. If the FMC is is in the other mode, it doesn't require snapshots to shoot at as it counts as a Jump MC so can be shot at

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is actually covered under Zooming Flyers under the Hard to Hit heading. Essentially anything that doesn't roll to hit can't target zooming flyers, regardless of skyfire.

Strangely it doesn't read the same for swooping monstrous creatures, they just have the usual skyfire scenario, which I'm guessing is your conundrum.

If you really want to play it like that, it looks valid, as Skyfire states you fire at normal ballistic skill when shooting FMCs, and the Hard to Hit for FMCs literally has the exception for Skyfire without any mention of template weapons.

I'm not sure if this was intentional, maybe something to do with FMCs not moving quite as quickly as full blown flyers, but there you go.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
This is actually covered under Zooming Flyers under the Hard to Hit heading. Essentially anything that doesn't roll to hit can't target zooming flyers, regardless of skyfire.

Strangely it doesn't read the same for swooping monstrous creatures, they just have the usual skyfire scenario, which I'm guessing is your conundrum.

If you really want to play it like that, it looks valid, as Skyfire states you fire at normal ballistic skill when shooting FMCs, and the Hard to Hit for FMCs literally has the exception for Skyfire without any mention of template weapons.

I'm not sure if this was intentional, maybe something to do with FMCs not moving quite as quickly as full blown flyers, but there you go.
well, you shure? its...mindblowing. RAW that could be gamechanging.

EDIT: checked, i don't know where you get that interpretation: on my BRB 8italian) it's quite clear that unless you have skyfire, you snapshot them all times.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yeah this is a weird one.

FMC - Hard to Hit means against Swooping FMC, shots resolved at such a target can only be resolved as Snap Shots unless the model or weapon has the Skyfire special rule.

Vehicle - Hard to Hit means against Zooming Flyers, shots resolved at a Zooming Flyer can only be resolved as Snap Shots (unless the model or weapon has the Skyfire special rule). Template and Blast weapons, and any other attacks that don’t roll To Hit, cannot hit Zooming Flyers.

Skyfire - A model with this special rule, or that is firing a weapon with this special rule, fires using its normal Ballistic Skill when shooting at Flyers, Flying Monstrous Creatures and Skimmers, but it can only fire Snap Shots against other targets.

Of course a 'Blast' or 'Template' weapons that have skyfire would not need to snap shot, so defeats the whole "you can't fire at me as you have to snap fire and can't with a blast/template weapon".

BUT for FMCs as said above you can hit them with Blast or Templates so long as you didn't need to snapfire (so would need skyfire), BUT for Zooming flyers you could not as it says "Template and Blast weapons, and any other attacks that don’t roll To Hit, cannot hit Zooming Flyers."

Strangely this also means that even a Template or Blast aimed at something else but scatters on to the Zooming Flyer can't hit it... even with Skyfire.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Yeah this is a weird one.

FMC - Hard to Hit means against Swooping FMC, shots resolved at such a target can only be resolved as Snap Shots unless the model or weapon has the Skyfire special rule.

Vehicle - Hard to Hit means against Zooming Flyers, shots resolved at a Zooming Flyer can only be resolved as Snap Shots (unless the model or weapon has the Skyfire special rule). Template and Blast weapons, and any other attacks that don’t roll To Hit, cannot hit Zooming Flyers.

Skyfire - A model with this special rule, or that is firing a weapon with this special rule, fires using its normal Ballistic Skill when shooting at Flyers, Flying Monstrous Creatures and Skimmers, but it can only fire Snap Shots against other targets.

Of course a 'Blast' or 'Template' weapons that have skyfire would not need to snap shot, so defeats the whole "you can't fire at me as you have to snap fire and can't with a blast/template weapon".

BUT for FMCs as said above you can hit them with Blast or Templates so long as you didn't need to snapfire (so would need skyfire), BUT for Zooming flyers you could not as it says "Template and Blast weapons, and any other attacks that don’t roll To Hit, cannot hit Zooming Flyers."

Strangely this also means that even a Template or Blast aimed at something else but scatters on to the Zooming Flyer can't hit it... even with Skyfire.
it seems it's like this. well, some flyrant is going to weep!:taunt:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts