Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey again,

I was wondering if this is to be correct:

Tactical Squads can buy one Heavy Weapon if they number 10 models.
Devastator Squads can buy four Heavy Weapons regardless of number,

BUT:
Devastator Squads have to pay up to TWENTYFIFE (25!) points more for each an every single Heavy Weapon!

Is that correct, or do I have a printing error in my book?

Example:
Tactical: Heavy Bolter, Multi-Melta, Missile launcher.............. free
Devastator: Heavy Bolter, Multi-Melta, Missilie launcher.......... +(a space marine) pts

The same goes for plasma cannon (T +1/3 Space Marine / D +Space Marine +10 pts)

Please do not post points values for individual wargear or units. Thanks.

-Deathklokk

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yep, sad but true. Devastators weapons cost so much as to stop people from bringing them. If you want heavy bolters or lascannons I would go for a predator. leave the MM to the speeder and the missiles and the plasma cannons can go on the tacticals. That's usually how to bring heavy weapons in a SM army

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, how stupid is that?!

The sole pupose for Devastator squads is to bring heavy firepower.
With these costs it's just useless!

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
For some reason there is allways something better than the dedicated hw squads for both sm's and chaos. Go figure?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Since which Edition is fielding tons of Mechs and Tanks the standard tactic for SMs?
That sucks.
Dreadnoughts and Tanks should be support, not core.

Looking through the Codex I almost instantly thought the tanks were way to cheap.
Well my feelings were right, I guess.

OH BLOODY HELL!!!

If several units can have the same weapon - with the same weapons stats -

THAN WHY THE HELL DON'T THEY COST THE SAME?!?!

(Sorry had to led that out...)

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Because having one heavy weapon encumber 9 other guys is MUCH less beneficial than having 4 heavy weapons in a squad with only one "useless" guy. Seems pretty simple to me.Much less enraging than say Hunter Killer Missiles or Plasma Guns for units with different Balistic Skills. THAT makes no sense.

This is kind of like in the IG book where cammo netting is half again more expensive for the units that will likely be stationary artillery as opposed to tanks that will be moving around (and not be able to use it). There are lots of examples of something being "the same thing" but still be more useful in-game, thus it's a different cost.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
Yeah if you have 4 heavy weapons you aren't going to move. Hence your going to deploy them in a building with a nice firing lane. Thus they are bloody hard to flush out. A 5 man devi squad in a building can cause huge problems when you try to flush them out.

Where as the tactical squad is generally more versatile and standing still is often less useful.

Hence its logical to make it more points for a weapon that's more useful especially if the enemy is standing further that 24 inches.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
the amount of times when the situation would have been better if i had a bolter i9nstead of a heavyt weapon is quite a few however as the other guys have said, they are more expeancive as cvan yous immagine taking 4 strength 8 missiles and a signum for only 90pts??? That would be insane! They are TOO expensive but i can see why and you also get a free Signum with the unit so it's not a complete lose.

·
Registered
147 Posts
the amount of times when the situation would have been better if i had a bolter i9nstead of a heavyt weapon is quite a few however as the other guys have said, they are more expeancive as cvan yous immagine taking 4 strength 8 missiles and a signum for only 90pts??? That would be insane! They are TOO expensive but i can see why and you also get a free Signum with the unit so it's not a complete lose.

Ive got ot agree with you mate, It's simple really, tactical squads have a tendancy to move around alot, thus hampering the effect of the Heavy weapon, Devastator squads dont want to, this is why tacs get the points break, unfortunatly however Dev's compared to Long fangs are too expensive, pretty annoying too :(

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Devs are still overpriced from what I have seen. Seriously on average they have 5-8 or so guys, and most armies mine included can easily force 3-4 failed saves from 36 inches away. I suppose they are still more resilient in most cases then say a predator that can get one shotted by a melta gun, but still they aren't even remotely as effective as their points total. Hell throw cover into the equation, and all the sudden the whole unit gets 1-2 rounds of shooting before I either kill it with my weakest AI weapons or drop a DP or raptor squad on them. Oddly enough loyalist devastator squads seem to suck eggs in every way compared to chaos havoc's. Hell my havoc's are cheaper, and yet still will defeat most enemies i CC if they ever get charged.

In short I full heartedly recommend avoiding fail marine devastators unless you have a vary specific role for them in mind, against a very specific target, since their sheer level of fail needs to be counter balanced by tactical genius.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts