Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apart from going for a mono list which I read is not particularly effective as it limits you, I honestly can't picture an effective daemon army. I've got the codex and read it through and I've dug out some old daemon models I have like an old metal bloodthirster, but I really have no idea where to start with collecting an army that is competitive, does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
By a mon army, I assume you're going for a single mark/God army. Effectively, it gets dicey at that point. First, which mark do you want to go with? This determines what sort of Troops you get, as Daemons don't have any choice if you go with singlemark.

Bloodthirsters kill a lot, very effectively in HTH. They are low toughness, low save.
Daemonettes hit a lot, very fast. They are low str, so damage less, low AP/Rending, and low toughness and save.
Pink Horrors hit slow, not very much, are low T and low save. But they are all psykers, and grant your enemy many Feel No Pain saves after burning them with psychic fire.
Plaguebearers are slow, low attacks, tough, Durable, low save, extra cover, and can have FNP. Probably the best of the troop units, but then you're talking a Nurgle army.

AS for a mono-list, I see two types that MIGHT be competitive. Mono-Khorne and Mono-Nurgle

Mono-Khorne

Bloodthirster

Herald of Khorne x4, 1 on Jugger.

BloodCrushers x5

Bloodletters x10
Bloodletters x10
Bloodletters x10
Bloodletters x10
Bloodletters x10
Bloodletters x10

Fleshhounds x10
Fleshhounds x10

Flying Full Deamon Prince of Khorne

Flying full Deamon Prince of Khorne

Soul Grinder.

Mono-Nurgle

Great Unclean one

Herald of Nurgle x4, one on palanquin

Beasts of Nurgle x5

Plaugebearers x10
Plaugebearers x10
Plaugebearers x10
Plaugebearers x10
Plaugebearers x10
Nurglings x10

Plague Drones x4
Plague Drones x4

Full flying Daermon Prince of Nurgle

Full Flying Daemon prince of Nurgle

Soul Grinder of Nurgle.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I meant apart from a mono god list, which is basically every unit from that god. What about an army made up from different gods, what's the best way to mix them up?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Depends on what sort of army you want to play. Assaulty? Psychic? All gods for all time?

What god is going to lead? (I.E. your Warlord). What sort of enemy do you face?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I you're going for a competetive army Tzeentch is a viable option as well, Screamerstar is outright devestating and Horrors make for excelent objective holders if they gtg in cover. As for their shooting attacks, the trick with the Tzeentch powers is to focus down one unit at the time, they may end up with a 6+ fnp save but there won't be anything left of the unit to actually benefit from it.

Flying circus seems to do pretty good as well in the competative scene but it's more of a hit or miss army imo because it is higly dependant of your rolls when rolling for psychic powers/rewards.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'd like to use my bloodthirster at least, I tend to play balanced armies tbh, my marines are fairly balanced albeit more inclined to shooting, so I'd like my daemons to be roughly the same if not more inclined to assault. I tend to play against Eldar, Dark Eldar, Marines, some tau and GKs.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Tzeentch tend to be a more shooting style army. Mixing this up with some nurgle to hold objectives and you have available army. If you are not bothered about a theme for your army you can make a very effective list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts