Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel they are getting overloaded with the hobby at the moment? G.W and F.W and B.L are churning out product which is a good thing but I'm feeling a little left behind, I have not even got 6th ed rules yet! Now real life is a big factor but all the new shiney to choose from and my huge sprue pile that needs painted makes the hobby to me a little daunting at the moment, post count is down on the forum and I'm wondering is there a bit 40k burnout amongst the community at the moment, not just on the forum but actual hobby and gaming are people getting many games in?

Your thoughts please.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Seems like a good enough theory.

Personally, I'm currently coiled like a spring to get to work on some things but a lack of decent amounts of "sit down" time are preventing me from doing so.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The new codex is getting me back to work on my ironhands. Just need more money and free time right now. once I get up to speed, ill shift back to my other two armies.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It's all going a bit fast for me too. I have so many army ideas whenever a codex is released that at the moment I have like 5 or 6 concepts in mind using the new books but can't decide what to do but I see this as a positive thing actually as anything that allows players more choice is a good thing.

All these codices/codexes/whatever-the-plural-is are doing a number on my wallet though :blackeye:

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
I know how you feel. It seems that there is so much out there that is new and interesting but looking at what is currently on (and under) our playroom work table, we are currently holding off temptation and attempting to work out a plan to deal with what we currently have! And by we, I mean the daughter and myself "splitting" tasks on the painting front! Looks like we'll be busy till at least X'mas at the rate we are going at the moment!!!

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I'm the complete opposite nowadays, all this new junk....err 40k stuff just has me shaking my head, so it don't bother me :p

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I have been trying to slow down anyway. I went through a stage where I had almost 600 infantry in varying states of incompleteness. I have dealt with most of that over the last few years and am down to about 9 marines, 10 necrons, 18 demonettes,6 seekers, 5 bikes and 5 oblits to complete. I have finished all my big projects and have 2 more coming, a peturabo conversion and thunderbolt conversion. I am purposefully taking it slow and trying to avoid the new developments. I never want that much unpainted grey on my desk again.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
A little bit. I'm actually going into fantasy a bit (Wood Elves FTW!) because of how crazy everything is. I'll still play (even expanding my IG) but until either theirs or the BA codex comes out, I'm going to be slowing down a great deal with 40k.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I can't say I'm overwhelmed with GW products. I have a couple of units and vehicles to paint. I'm mostly buying things I look forward to painting when I have free time again.

I think GW is finally producing products as fast as the gamers said they wanted them.

Seems ironic to be overwhelmed when players have been calling for this rate of production for years.

I feel somewhat left behind by forge world, but that's only because I can't justify the expense of the books, minis, and shipping. But they are awesome.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'm the opposite at the moment - usually i like to do one project at a time but i currently have about 6 on the go.

I've started playing games again though, so that's the main reason. Modelling and painting are still my first love, but a fun game with some mates now and again certainly spurs me on.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've got college occupying my time right now, so projects and friends take more precedent than 40k (also partly because, without a car, I can't really attend gatherings or get to a game store easily). I'm not really fatigued with it though, I still lay on my bed and read the Chaos Marine codex about every night, thinking of new lists and tactics. I'm happy 40k is expanding (very happy to see the Night Lords are getting Forge World love, finally), but I understand the point. It's almost like missing an episode of a television show, you're scrambling to not only find time for the new episode but also to rewatch the old one before hand.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
im not to overwhelmed, as i dont ever feel the need to RUSH out and buy the latest. although im starting to not like the way the game is going..just to much twin linked and re-rolls for this and that is starting to make it boring for me.

as for the post..i try to post or reply where i can. but for me when you post something and nobody replies you kinda think well whats the point. i.e modelling & painting you can have 300 views and not 1 comment. if you view it give a little comment, good or bad, then i think people will post more often. just a theory

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I fuckin' love it. Got a new tactical squad for $20 below retail after shipping off eBay the other night. Since I have played BA for so long and there are so many new marine codices, any unpainted models can be painted up whatever new faction I'd like to see represented on my table top. Basically, I went from having ~6k of BA to having 1.5k of DA, 1.5K of IF and 3k of BA...I buy the occasional thing to bulk out my lists as I see appropriate, but all these new books are perfectly useful for me. FW is pretty to look at, but I just can't justify spending that amount of cash at this point in my financial life whereas I already have the SM models.

I do wish that I could game more, but as much as I want to I just can't bring myself to go out to the local GW. That limits me to a few friends that I know who play, and we all have lives and jobs that keep us from playing more. I've been thinking about planning (or borrowing) a protracted campaign to give us goals for our games when we do play as opposed to just smashing our armies off each other as fast as we can to get the max amount of games in. I just wish the local GW was less lame.

...and as far as my involvement with the board, just look at my post count compared to my join date. Be the change you want to see :eek:k:

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I'm in the opposite corner as well - Having both my Daemon army and my CSM army to look at, I have so many models and things I want to try out. I simply don't know where to start!

I have to put a limit on myself to not go out and buy all kinds of models. I promised myself to paint what I have left (1 Heldrake, 1 Daemon prince, 20 Pink horrors and 1 Herald of Tzeentch) before I buy anymore.

I wish I got to play more though - All my playmates are either in school, new jobs or the like so they're all so tired xD

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I don't really have any 40k fatigue. Ive already accepted that it is a life-long hobby so I don't plan on ever being tired of it.

As far as post count goes, I was thinking about it the other day actually, and I've noticed it's been down ever since the site got hacked by that crazy Russian. It seems like it was down for so long that all but the old timers pretty much left. So I don't think that's due to fatigue.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Fatigue? Yeah, you might call it that.

I have decided that x5 40k armies are enough. I am still working towards finishing them all but once that is done that is it for me and 40k. I am slowly branching off into Malifaux which requires only tiny amounts of models and paint time in comparison.

But the deciding factor was when I sat down a few weeks ago and thought if I would ever really use more than my 5 armies for 40k. I decided no. With those 5 armies I can have so much variation and enjoyment, that buying anymore would be pointless, because I simply wouldn't have time to play them all or model and paint them all. So what is the point?

Also, me and my wife are going to be moving to rural BC in a couple of years to build a small off-the-grid microfarm and homestead: I doubt very much I will be continuing wargaming on any level from that point on lol Too isolated and too busy with other stuff.
So why would there be any point in continuing to collect model after model and army after army when I am on a time limit anyway?
In short, I have recognised I won't be doing wargaming forever, so the "fatigue" as the OP puts it has become very apparent and clear to me, so I have dramatically begun to cutback. In the past I would just have a "gotta catch 'em all" mentality, but have realised how pointless and lacking in self-control that is for my situation...

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I think the community as a whole is kind of burned out because it is just not this forum that post count is low. Many other forums that I am on also are really down on post counts as well.

I also still do not have the new 6th edition rule book and not sure I will get it anytime soon. I am starting to build a couple of new armies so they are going to be taking up my time more than playing right now.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I also still do not have the new 6th edition rule book and not sure I will get it anytime soon. I am starting to build a couple of new armies so they are going to be taking up my time more than playing right now.
I mean this earnestly: how do you build an army without knowing the rules behind using it?

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mean this earnestly: how do you build an army without knowing the rules behind using it?
As collecting the armies and painting them is all part of the fun, there is a guy who frequents G.W Dublin, buys lots of minis paints fantastically and has no interest in playing the game, just likes painting models

·
Registered
409 Posts
has no interest in playing the game, just likes painting models
This is pretty much what I do. The last dice I rolled in a 40k game was in 2001. I was out of the 40k scene until about 2007 and I would honestly prefer to play Warmachine.

The speed that 40k is progressing these days deters me a whole lot. PP feels grounded and accessible.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts