Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still new, have read a couple books and some online stuff, but what I want to know is story line wise, since the beginning of the game has there always been the traitor legions and the horus heresy or is that something that came later. This question mostly stems from seeing pre heresy paint schemes on some models.

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
Editions
Proper Chaos Marines appeared after the release of Rogue Trader (1st Ed 40K) but before the release of 2nd Ed.

There were occasional mentions of Space Marines rebelling before that, but they could also redeem themselves after they did. So the Heresy was added to the storyline later.

Current Storyline
The Emperor created Space Marine Legions to wage a grand crusade to capture the galaxy for humanity. The Emperor had other plans as well, so handed leadership of the crusade to Horus. Horus fell to Chaos, followed by the leaders of some of the other Legions. At which point some Legions joined Chaos.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I got into 40k just before 2nd edition hit and always remember there being a Horus Heresy. Can't speak for the initial Rougue Trader release though.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The first edition of 40k did not have a Horus Heresy. Which started in a later edition with naught but a sentence.

But the Emperor having been a shattered husk and entombed in the golden throne, have been a thing since the beginning. The Horus Heresy told why he ended there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's such an expanded universe. There's so much out there to think about. Story is what really got me interested in the game to begin with

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It covers a long period of time and there is lots of scope for different things arriving/ changing etc. It will evolve and evolve.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
It's such an expanded universe. There's so much out there to think about. Story is what really got me interested in the game to begin with
You arn't wrong there thats one of the things inlove about this game. Some interesting ones to note well what i like include the "cursed foundings", some of the interesting alien species "mega archnids" or even the obscure cults and sects which exist such as
Those who worship the undieing emperor as a sungod or even the resurectionests who plan to kill the emperors living body to allow him to assend.

Very very interesting stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts