Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i play eldar and have the new codex and all, but i still dont really understand the place of the harlequins. i havent even really thought about using them, but obv some ppl do. i was wondering what their place is in the army exactly and why youd take them over an aspect warrior.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Basically they can run around unharmed due to veil of tears which gives them an average spotting distance of 14"=charge range, with multiple kisses they rip the crap out of Just about anything. Tornado's and similar mobile multishot units should cause them a problem or two though.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
They're there to tear through Space Marines a heck of a lot faster than Striking Scorpions or Howling Banshees possibly can. Scorpions have close combat weapons, and Banshees are S3... but strength and the weapon itself is meaningless when the attack is rending. The Harlequins give you defense against heavily-armoured, tough opponents in close combat.

Admittedly, they can handle anything that Striking Scorpions can as well, but they're definitely better against power-armoured foes than the close combat Aspects for the most part.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Harlequins are a fabulous Counterattack for your shooty eldar force.

Keep them centered within your firebase, dont allow any transports to get close enough to drop troops and rapid fire on them, they are a BIG target for this. They have to be protected until its time for them to pounce and get the enemy off of your guys.

I've heard people whine about how useless the Death Jester is, this is just wrong. Harlequins should NOT be charging across the table. Veil of tears is nice but a single squad getting close somehow and rapid firing will kill the harlequins dead. Even if they are toting along a Farseer that Fortunes them, even this isnt protection enough for 18-22+ pt models. If you want to be offensive with them, for pete's sake stick them in a falcon. Otherwise, have them sit back and let the Death Jester shoot adding to your crazy firepower. They will fight in HtH soon enough.

As a counterattack unit, they are one of the scariest units in the game. Everyone is afraid of Genestealers, now the eldar have a unit that is worse. They cant be shot at at range, the best spotting distance a unit can roll to see them is 12" after rolling boxcars. Indirect or 'guess' range weapons cant even shoot at them, period. No extra dice for deviation, simply "cannot shoot if not within spotting distance". (excluding, a minelaying Whirlwind, which targets the ground)

If you will look, the only unit that really compares to them in the codex are the Howling Banshees, for Close combat scariness. Banshees are a bit more offensive though and are better suited (largly due to their transport option) for a more 'in your face' set of tactics. They are a bit, just a small bit, sturdier against enemy shooting and hth hits. Thanx to the Veil though, the Harlequins are Obviously suited more to hanging back. If an enemy sees banshees or even scorpions sitting back waiting to counterattack his main charge on your forces he might be inclined to blast them with heavy bolters or an ordinance shot to lessen your chances of fighting him off. Those aspects are made more for offensive tactics than defensive ones, like the harlequins are suited for.

I for one cant wait for the new models to come out. My eldar list is total firepower superiority, and I'm waiting for the harlequins to come out to complete my counterattack against HtH armies. I refuse to proxy or buy the older models as the newer ones are so nice. Try the Harlies the way I described above and I'm sure you'll find they're worth every point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good points, honestly i havent looked through them thoroughly but they are kinda odd in my opinion but sound like they may make a very nice addition in my army.

·
Banned
677 Posts
I see the points for sitting back with the Harlequins, but disagree with them. A troupe should ALWAYS move up with another stronger unit. Either Banshees for the hitting power, or Scorpions for the staying power(preferable). Both should assault at the same time using the Furiousness of the Troupe, then leave combat with the Harlequins at the end, hiding behind the assault.

With boxcars the enemy can see them at 24", not 12", from how I read the rules. So using the assault with the better-save scorpions would be choice to hide behind, as you have a greater chance of survival over banshee saves. Even better would be to back up those Harlies with Jain-Zar in their midst for the first wave. Always keep the scorpions between the harlies and the enemy when not charging.

They are a 100% light assault unit that needs a heavier assault unit to lead them. They pack a major punch on the charge, so use hit n run ALOT and keep em out of range and LOS.

-Khaine-

·
Registered
333 Posts
14" is the average distance rolled against veil and is well within charge range for the harlies.
Sorry to be pedantic, but its outside their charge range unless they roll a 2 or more likely 3+ for fleet. Getting that close with foot-slogging harlies is a dangerous game, a good Veil roll can leave them in all sorts of rapid fire problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
dude harlies are to eldar as genestealers are to nids. Amazing CC units with power to take down even te toughest of targets through rending.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just been thinking about how to counter these beasts. Especially for those GTing in the UK. It applies to imperial forces only though (so no good for my tau :( )

Dæmonhunter Inquisitor, Psycannon, Null-rod, 2 mystics (vs Deep-strikers in other forces), 3 Heavy-bolter servitors.

The null-rod negates Veil of tears for the whole squad

·
Registered
62 Posts
anathema said:
14" is the average distance rolled against veil and is well within charge range for the harlies.
Sorry to be pedantic, but its outside their charge range unless they roll a 2 or more likely 3+ for fleet. Getting that close with foot-slogging harlies is a dangerous game, a good Veil roll can leave them in all sorts of rapid fire problems.
"outside their charge range unless they roll a 2 or 3 for fleet"

seems like within charge range to me.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Taking chances is part of the game. The problem with chance is that sometimes you end up on the wrong side of it. That's the nature of lady luck. She's a fickle mistress, but when you do end up on her good side... things work out quite well. To roll a 2 or a 3 for a fleet roll is quite likely, anyway. You have a 50% chance to roll a 4+, a 67% (rounded up) chance to roll a 3+, and a solid 83% (rounded down) chance to get a 2+. For those of you who don't like Math-hammer... sorry, but statistics are a huge part of the game. Knowing the numbers with the odds is the difference between someone who's just good at the game and someone who's truly an exceptional commander.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Obviously its a risk worth taking in that situation, but my main point is that to end your turn within 14-18" of a rapid firing unit (for the next turn charge) for example is potentially a big problem. Averages count yes, but when you are 14" and they step up and reduce that to 8" then there are big problems. If you don't get within 14-18", then you won't be charging. Thats why Harlies on foot need extremely careful use of LOS blocking cover and supporting units to keep them from dying expensively.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Prophaniti said:
Just been thinking about how to counter these beasts. Especially for those GTing in the UK. It applies to imperial forces only though (so no good for my tau :( )

Dæmonhunter Inquisitor, Psycannon, Null-rod, 2 mystics (vs Deep-strikers in other forces), 3 Heavy-bolter servitors.

The null-rod negates Veil of tears for the whole squad
Or just take a Vindicare, and snipe the Shadowseer. He can do that as he ignores targeting restrictions, and the VoT is a targeting restriction.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Ah, no, not really. A proper examination of that rule shows the caveat that it's only for choosing which model to take off. However, with his goggles, he's able to see further into that Harlequn power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Vindicare:
"Can target any model, regardless of targeting restrictions."

Veil of Tears:
"Any models attempting to target..."

Seems like a taregting restriction to me.
And the spy glasses only affect Night Fight, not Veil of Tears. Veil of Tears never says anything about night fight rules.

·
Registered
630 Posts
True he does Ignore It, but to be honest would you EVER truly consider using the Vindicare? :roll:
Shame really as I love the model.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Necrontyr said:
Vindicare:
"Can target any model, regardless of targeting restrictions."

Veil of Tears:
"Any models attempting to target..."

Seems like a taregting restriction to me.
And the spy glasses only affect Night Fight, not Veil of Tears. Veil of Tears never says anything about night fight rules.
I suggest never posting only part of a rule. While I don't have either codex on me I do not think the wording of targeting restrictions under the vindicare is supposed to work as you seem to believe. If the rest of that sentence refering to Veil of tears is anything like, "Any models attempting to target the harlies must roll to see if they can see them..." then it is not a targeting restriction because it does not prevent him from targeting the squad, just seeing and shooting at it.

A targeting restrction prevents you from chosing something as a target. Veil of Tears does not prevent you from choosing harlies as a target and so it is not a targeting restriction, it is a range restriction. As I said, I don't have the codicies on me so feel free to show me up by posting all of both rules.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts