Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, wanted to share a hard, but not competitive (I'm not playing taudar) list that I'm going to be playing with tomorrow at my LFGS.

Primary: Black Legion

HQ Huron Blackheart
HQ Chaos Lord, VOTLW, sigil of corruption, tzeentch, power fist, lighting claw, crucible of lies, eye of night , that ew skull which the name is totally escaping me right now, combat familiar (my store runs it that the familiar attacks are modified by the weapons you use)

Fast Attack:

2 heldrakes with baleflamers

Troops: 3x 10 cultists squads

Ally: Codex Chaos Space Marines

Hq: Demon prince, black mace, wings, armor, tzeentch, 3 mastery levels (always two on biomancy), spell familiar, combat familiar, gift of mutation

Troops: 10 Cultists

Elites: 10 Tzeentch terminators, 2 combi meltas, champ takes a combi meltas (they all have power axes)

Huron gives himself infiltrate, he and the other chaos lord join the unit of terminators, the entire star infiltrates. If he rolls a two on the d3, the chaos lord with half the armory infiltrates by himself (nearby, but by himself), so he can fire at a different unit then the terminators on the first turn. On the roll of a 3, a 10 man cultist squad moves up board. In general, it's just a highly aggressive deathstar that's hard to remove that has a huge looming danger with the dp coming around the corner.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Although i do not like the list i can see it work against certain armies. Just one thing: in order to infiltrate huron and the lord togheter you need to roll 2 infiltrated units. this is because IC joining a unit do not gain infiltrate, while it's true the opposite (huron giving the terminators infiltrate)

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
You described the list as 'Hard'.

And I think that's how it will be to play. You are going to win big, or be tabled by turn 4.

All the HQ's are over invested in. Yes they all are unit killers, but some targeted turn-1 shooting on the lord and the Prince (A total of 7 wounds), and you will be a shell of an army, and just waiting for them to clear away the remaining cultists and the terminators. The Terminators will be hard, but if you pick-out Huron from the squad and then just pore piles of small arms into the Terminators the remaining ones can be dealt with in CC.

Anyway, individualized comments would be a drastic overhaul of the list, so I will leave it their.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually ended up not getting a game. I was an odd man out XD. Anyways, I talked to people about it in detail, and there were a lot of pro's and cons. After some discussion, we adapted the list and ended up dropping black legion for a list that didn't need it at all, after somebody posted what was originally a joke of an idea.

Huron Blackheart
Dp with all the trimmings, as previous (I'm forever referring to this guy as super dunk. Running in store joke)

3x 10 cultists squads. As a quick note, I only use cultists for my objective sitters. Place objective in a ruin, kiss the dirt when they get sneezed at, and you have a ld8 unit with a 3+ save. They practically die like marines, but you save 90 for ten, and 25 for 5 marines. Using anything else is out of the question for me.

10 havocs with 4 missiles, mark of tzeentch
10 havocs with 3 missiles
10 havocs with 4 las cannons, mark of tzeentch

2 drakes with flamers

skyshield

The gameplan is still relatively simple. Huron gives himself infiltrate, hops in the las cannon squad, they move on the shield. If I roll a 2 on the d3, move up the second tzeentch unit (If not, they just have to live with 20 points of a probably useless mark) onto the skyshield with them. The third unit without tzeentch gets moved into an alternate position for cross fire if I roll a 3 on the d3. All the models on the skyshield have a 3 up save they actually get to take, which is huge. It's a decent amount of firepower overall, with 7 missiles and 4 las cannons.

As a minor addendum to the question about infiltrate, all it requires is one model in the squad to do it. Ic's join before the game begins, so if one ic has infiltrate, they can both join the same squad and all hop up together. At least that's our store's interpretation of it. We couldn't find a reason to do it differently. :angel:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
As a minor addendum to the question about infiltrate, all it requires is one model in the squad to do it. Ic's join before the game begins, so if one ic has infiltrate, they can both join the same squad and all hop up together. At least that's our store's interpretation of it. We couldn't find a reason to do it differently
Sorry, but the rule is very clear: "An Independent Character without the
Infiltrate special rule cannot join a unitof tnfiltrators during deployment."
dunno how to interpretate this differently...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Why do you put the Mark of Tzeentch on havocs? 6++ is not that great. Or do you have another angle.
The skyshield platform for a 3++.
It's a way to do it.

EDIT: also, i'm unsure on how do you plan to win objective based missions (5 of 6). 30 cultists die and run away to a single flamer template. At this point level you cannot possibly rely on a DP and 2 heldrakes to bring victory home. Also 30 bodies on the havocs is just...mmmh...morbid?? I'd suggest to remove at least 3 havocs per unit: this would give you 39+39+39+12= 129 pts!!
129 pts are enough to get a resilient midfield objective taker (5 marines, meltagun, rhino, 120 pts) to follow heldrake passage or a quick biker unit to support and screen the cultist from enemy deepstrikers or assaulters.
My two cents

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In a lot of the games (see: ALL of them basically XD), the cultists don't eat a random flamer. And even then, it's a ld8 test (aspiring champion), which isn't too bad. I never have issues with cultists getting mowed down because I'm sure to place objectives in ruins or forests, and then always going to ground. t3 vs t4 in the shooting phase gets wounded pretty similarly at long ranges. Yes, depending on the scenario, they are more brittle. In an assault, jesus christ they melt. Being shot at? Not so much with proper placement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts