Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Hammer & Bolter

7K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  Pyroriffic 
#1 ·
Yo yo yo! CP here again,

Got a tip/link to information about the first issue of Hammer & Bolter magazine from a friend (thanks Sarah :wink:)

Here's a little info posted by Christian Dunn on the BL Bolthole,

Greetings!

As some of you are already aware, Black Library will be launching a digital-only short story publication entitled Hammer & Bolter as part of our new range of eBooks and digital products. While a few details are left to to be ironed out, I can exclusively reveal the table of contents for the debut issue.

'The Strange Demise of Titus Endor' by Dan Abnett
'A Place of Quiet Repose' by John Brunner
'Primary Instinct' by Sarah Cawkwell
'Questing Knight' by Anthony Reynolds
'Phalanx - Chapters 1 & 2' by Ben Counter

Yes, Phalanx is a serialised novel that will play out over the first year's worth of issues and yes, I know John Brunner has been dead for fifteen years but this is a story he wrote for the very first incarnation of Games Workshop's publishing enterprise that we've never published before. Oh, and did I also mention that it's a Gotrek & Felix story? Must have slipped my mind in all the excitement. 'Questing Knight' is a fully-fledged novella too, making the total word count of the premiere issue a whopping 70,000 words!

The first issue will run to a longer word count than a standard issue and although we've yet to set a cover price for a regular issue, the bumper debut will be available for the princely sum of free. That's right - we're not going to charge you a penny for it!

Hammer & Bolter issue one will be launched at the same time as our eBook range but attendees at UK Games Day will be able to get their hands on it a little earlier. 'But how can they do that if it's a digital-only product?' I hear you cry.

All will be revealed...

http://z6.invisionfree.com/bljunkies/index.php?showtopic=1746
feel free to discuss!

CP

#2 ·
The finale of the Soul Drinkers series is relegated to a comic release!, the rest fine but why must Phalanx not be given a full novel release. Its the end of the Soul Drinkers, it deserves that.

#4 ·
I think it is more of an extract than anything, actually. It will more than likely be a novel, I doubt that Black Library would blow off something that big. And Ploss, it was Daenyathos for the POD :p

#6 ·
Oh....Just oh....:laugh:

My bad! I thought print on demand, seeing as there was a limite-:p

#8 ·
POD doesnt mean limited, jst means they print wenever the fuck someone orders right?
correct. the POD titles are printed by licensed, out-of-house, printing companies. whenever an order goes through.

CP

#11 ·
How long till every-thing Black Library is digital and pod only?, I would guess at 5 years?.

I've had to recently buy an e-reader because now a lot of the books I want to read (esp in horror one of my fav genres) isn't being printed, just released as an e-book. Just a few days ago the oldest mass-market publisher in the States stopped producing mass-market books in favour of e-books so there goes another one.

#18 ·
I just had to check my wardrobe and under my bed.

Back on topic: I (very conveniently) bought my wife a Nook from Barnes & Noble last week for her birthday. Seems I will have to confiscate it upon my return :p

Definitely looking forward to this compilation, I love the short story collections, as you get to flavor chapters/aspects of 40K that BL tends not to publish novels on.

#25 ·
The nook doesn't have a backlight to it, I've yet to hear from the wiff as to how this affects readability (especially in sunlight)

#27 · (Edited)
Why will it always be superior?, as far as I know my paper books don't come with a light neither ;)...just messing you mean the readability aspect well have you seen e-ink?. It's surprisingly good now (no complaints of eye-strain for example) for relatively new tech after only a few years of development, fast forward five years and the readers will be $50, print books will be reduced to niche pod & small press titles and the color e-ink used on readers will be indistinguishable from the printed word.

btw no e-readers (that I've seen) are back-lighted, which means you don't get any of the glare you would get if you tried to read in bright sunlight from an ipad,iphone etc.

#28 ·
It's the lack of new book smell. And the feel of the paper beneath your fingertips. Reading a book - a physical thing that spirits you away to other worlds - is a magical experience. Digitalising it seems wrong.

A book is a thing of beauty. A gadget is just a gadget.

#30 ·
It's the words themselves that are the magical thing, the story itself.......not really important to me whether the words are on a bit of paper or a screen. So long as the gadget is good to hold and text is easy to view that's all that's relevant.

In the future i'll miss the sight of a nice new collection of the latest book series in hc/pb on my bookshelves but I would be missing out on far more if I tried to pretend that the e-book era wasn't coming, I mean what are you going to do the first time a book you would love to read by your favourite author comes out only as an e-book?, deprive yourself of reading the book just because it's on a screen?, pretend the author hasn't wrote it?.

Already happened to me and e-books are still in there infancy (8% of book sales are now e-books).

#29 ·
I think we should just give this one to Pyro, seeing as she's one of the authors in this, the first e-book/zine thing being released by BL (yes, that's right, Sarah Cawkwell's 'Primary Instinct').

Saw it on the bolthole, of course, but that doesn't stop me from being super excited!

#32 ·
So much for keeping a carefully maintained low profile... :crazy:

((Removed e-book comments so that I can put them in the proper place... :) ))

EDITED Sorry CP - I didn't see your post until after I stuck this up - will shift it accordingly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.