Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lords = 296pts
Highborn (Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Amber Pendant, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield, Great Eagle) = 296pts

Heroes = 436pts
Noble (Great Weapon, Helm of the Hunt, Briarsheath, Alter Kindred) = 144pts

Spellsinger (Level 2, Hail of Doom Arrow) = 155pts

Spellsinger (Level 2, Dispel Scroll) = 150pts

Core = 387
5 Glade Riders (Musician) = 129pts

Special = 628
6 Wild Riders (Musician, Standard Bearer) = 174pts

3 Warhawk Riders (120pts)

Rare = 240pts
5 Waywatchers = 120pts

5 Waywatchers = 120pts

= 2000pts

I'm looking to upgrade to 8th, and 3000 point battles as that what everyone else plays. I don't have the book, and don't want to buy it just yet (new gaming laptop = hefty wallet hit), so it's just a case of planning to upgrade.

One thing I'd heard of was an AP Banner?

In this case, the idea could be a General with Great Weapon, Amber Pendant, and Rhymers Harp leading a mahoosive (50+) unit of Glade Guard (with Full Command and that Banner), a BSB with Ariels Banner

This gives the front rank:

4 WS7 S6 Attacks, hitting before all in contact
3 WS6 S4 Attacks
17 WS5 S3 Attacks

Now, add in the apparent Horde Rules, which grants an additional attack to the front rank, am I right?

That's

5 WS7 S6 Attacks, hitting before all in contact
4 WS6 S4 Attacks
25 WS5 S3 Attacks

Add in Spears, and it's

5 WS7 S6 Attacks, hitting before all enemies in base contact
4 WS6 S4 Attacks
35 WS5 S3 Attacks

Their total list of boosts if I'm correct with the banner, that's:

Armour Piercing
5+ Ward Save for Every Model
Fear Causing
MR1 (Granted to every unit within 12")
Static Combat Resolution +3 Ranks, +2 Banners, +1 Outnumber (mostly).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Lords = 296pts
Highborn (Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Amber Pendant, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield, Great Eagle) = 296pts
charge no longer negates the ASL you get off great weapons (it no longer just strike last), so great weapons are a big nono on solo characters, especially elves since you'll die before you'll fight.

Heroes = 436pts
Noble (Great Weapon, Helm of the Hunt, Briarsheath, Alter Kindred) = 144pts
again, drop the great weapon, that might stop you wanting to take this guy at all.
Spellsinger (Level 2, Hail of Doom Arrow) = 155pts
Spellsinger (Level 2, Dispel Scroll) = 150pts
multiple low level wizards are nowhere near as good as a lord lv caster in 8th. I would either take 1 spellweaver (because she can choose lores from the book) or just take a single Lv2, you'll have half the spells but almost exactly the same amount of power/dispel (average of 1 less PD and DD per game).

Core = 387 not enough points in core

Special = 628

Im not sure hw well wild riders will work with 8th and the FAQ changes stealing the extra attacks for the horses. If the work at all it is likely to be in larger blocks of 10-15

same old warmachine hunters- harder to protact with TLoS rules but should still work
Rare = 240pts
5 Waywatchers = 120pts

5 Waywatchers = 120pts
I still like waywatchers... member of a minority view point though. Most people prefer treemen, and while they are useful I just dont care much for them.
= 2000pts

I'm looking to upgrade to 8th, and 3000 point battles as that what everyone else plays. I don't have the book, and don't want to buy it just yet (new gaming laptop = hefty wallet hit), so it's just a case of planning to upgrade.

One thing I'd heard of was an AP Banner?
Razor Standard has AP, but its far too expensive for glade guard to carry. Only eternal guard, wild riders and the BSB can carry it for WE.

In this case, the idea could be a General with Great Weapon, Amber Pendant, and Rhymers Harp leading a mahoosive (50+) unit of Glade Guard (with Full Command and that Banner), a BSB with Ariels Banner
not a fan of ariels... way way way too expensive for the relatively poor bonuses.

This gives the front rank:

4 WS7 S6 Attacks, hitting before all in contacthe is ASL, so are all enemies in B2B, but not those in supporting ranks, who can still attack you before you ever get to strike
3 WS6 S4 Attacks
17 WS5 S3 Attacks

Now, add in the apparent Horde Rules, which grants an additional attack to the front rank, am I right?no you arent... its similar effect but utterly different source (but Im not going to explain rules if you dont ahve the book), ask around and someone will tell you.

That's

5 WS7 S6 Attacks, hitting before all in contact
4 WS6 S4 Attacks
25 WS5 S3 Attacks

Add in Spears, and it's spears?!? are you talking about eternal guard?

5 WS7 S6 Attacks, hitting before all enemies in base contact
4 WS6 S4 Attacks
35 WS5 S3 Attacks

Their total list of boosts if I'm correct with the banner, that's:

Armour Piercing
5+ Ward Save for Every Model
Fear Causing
MR1 (Granted to every unit within 12")
Static Combat Resolution +3 Ranks, +2 Banners, +1 Outnumber (mostly).no longer exists, there is a +1 for charging
Still very much a 7th ed list. Great weapons have lost some of their charm for characters in general and solo characers especially, cavalry units got nerfed (especially small cav units) and will very very rarely ever break any enemy on the charge (or ever- almost easier to wipe out the enemy then break them) and big blocks of infantry have been promoted.
My WE are still evolving to fit 8th but so far Ive found large units of glade guard to be pretty sweet (I take ~30 in a unit with the Aech banner, works well), small distraction units of glade riders (just like yours- but other then possible war machine hunters they arent going to kill much of anything), units of ~10 dryads (I tried 20, its a decent unit but not worth 2* the cost of 10) and recently have started using wardancers... which are worth their weight in gold.

Lords are the tricky bit for me- a spellweaver is almost manditory and is simply better then however many spellsingers you acre to put against her (athel loren is really pretty poor in the new rules), the machine gun highborn is great and the treeman ancient is almost the only thing WE have that can take on big blocks of nasty enemies (eg hoard units of 30 WoC or big blocks of knights) but then you have to hope you get into a challenge or 2 (not so bad with WoC, but other armies can be problematic). I was running a spellweaver but think I'll be forced to change to an ancient.

Wardancers are another good choice, as they give a unit that can either charge in and murder hoard units or go up against good AS heavy cav/infantry with killing blow. I'm still playtesting but think I'll run a few units of 5 of them and then a slightly larger unit with noble- I was playing some 1k games earlier with a wardancer highborn and he rocks: killed an orc lord, 2*20 boyz and 20 goblins pretty much solo (his unit died very quickly) and then was instrumental in beating 2*20 saurus and 8 CoKs (challenge, denied, was the standard start to every round after they saw what he could do).
I havent tested out the rest of the secial choices yet... Im not a fan of the hawks and I dont want another 'ogre' army with treekin so I cant really say if they'll be effective or not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts