Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, GW underestimated the popularity of Tau. There is such demand for the Tau models that orders are now being delayed. The website says by at least a week. I can't recall this happening for any other army release in the 3 years I've been playing. Bravo to the Tau fans for letting your voice be heard.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Dunno about anyone else, but since 05 I've seen army popularity as follows:

-Space Marines (including all sub-chapters)
-Chaos Space Marines
-Imperial Guard
-Tau
-Necrons
-Eldar
-Orks
-Everything else

It's just that, Tau is that one army in this game that almost everyone playing has a small detachment of. Everybody I know in the hobby, minus one, even if they play a different army as their main, have a Tau army standing by.

It and Necrons are the most popular 'secondary/ backup armies', which makes sense as they are the two youngest in terms of years since first release, and came out and dazzled everyone at a time when GW's new releases had been quite dreary.

Note that the ranking is based on absolutely nothing other than first hand observation, and current as of within the first 2 years of the 4th edition release. 2 years within the 2002 release probably had Orks and Eldar both in front of Tau but definitely not anymore.

·
Fantasy Rumors
962 Posts
Bear in mind that there have been a few space marines codexs to came out in the last few years. The pervious tau codex was that not viable so a lot of people have been waiting.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
I am just imagining the shitstorm if the rules suck or the fluff regresses. It will be gehenna, and poo will fly through the air.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I am just imagining the shitstorm if the rules suck or the fluff regresses. It will be gehenna, and poo will fly through the air.
And lo, the unbelievers shall cry "Nerdrage!" :laugh:

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Interesting thread, but thinking about it your proably right a few of the guys at the club I attend do also have a tau army not quite as much as yours but if they've run out of minitures already. One other though maybe lots of people are just picking up tau as an allied force that's what I will do eventuallly because they are the most allie-able xenos race and second to gaurd with ammount of allys.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'll be receiving my Pathfinders tomorrow with a bit of luck. :)

·
8,723 Posts
I'll be receiving my Pathfinders tomorrow with a bit of luck. :)
Good stuff! :so_happy:

If Logaan hadn't inherited my Tau stuff a few weeks ago I'd be all over this :)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
"And thus it came to pass that a great disquiet fell on the land of nerdom, with vast waves of feces breaking above the assembled masses of the Tau empire".

·
8,723 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Maybe Games Workshop artificially created scarcity to whip the tau up into a frenzy. Not a sales guy, but it seems that making people think that something is popular is just as effective as the item being popular in the first place.

Reactions: Archon Dan

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yea, GDub does know how to make money, and they are really good at it. Personally I don't even like the Tau. I don't like their models, fluff, painting them, or even looking at them. I feel the same way about Tau as most people feel when they see Ultramarines.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe Games Workshop artificially created scarcity to whip the tau up into a frenzy. Not a sales guy, but it seems that making people think that something is popular is just as effective as the item being popular in the first place.
That's a very good point. Have some overdue rep.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Many thanks to my fellow archon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts