Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John French has a new short released today. I think it looks interesting, especially with this character that just appeared in a small "cameo" in ATS. Also that he sounds like a loyalist is exciting. I'll hold off with buying until for now, as I bet it will be released in a anthology later on. But French has some good writing in the past and I love the NL.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/child-of-night-ebook.html

The story:
In the dark hive sumps beneath Terra, Chief Librarian Fel Zharost of the Night Lords Legion is being hunted. Having abandoned his insane primarch and brothers many years ago, he doesn’t know what he’s done wrong, but he’s sure he doesn’t want to be captured. What will happen when he discovers that his Legion has fallen into heresy? And where will his loyalties lie?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hope it's long enough to flesh out a good story, the plot souds interesting. I smell Garro...
It's a shame but I can't remember the ATS cameo that you mentioned OP.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
It's a shame but I can't remember the ATS cameo that you mentioned OP.
He was mentioned as one of the 12 Librarians who spoke out in favour of Magnus's position at the Council of Nikaea.

I hope it's long enough to flesh out a good story, the plot souds interesting. I smell Garro...
Given the price (£1.99) it will be very short, unfortunately. I'm going to get a copy and read it later and report back. :)

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Please not a loyalist Night Lord. Sounds ridiculous.
Why? In a Legion with anywhere from 80,000-100,000 members, it's conceivable that not every single one of them is a raging psychopath.

LotN

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Just finished it. For a very short story, it was quite good.

If anyone wishes to know the plot:

Please not a loyalist Night Lord. Sounds ridiculous.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Just finished it. For a very short story, it was quite good.

If anyone wishes to know the plot:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Night Lord Librarian? Commander-Keen.

I hope this short tidbit can lead to something bigger in the HH (that isn't solely Garro related, even if that makes the most sense).

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Why? In a Legion with anywhere from 80,000-100,000 members, it's conceivable that not every single one of them is a raging psychopath.

LotN
What about the Word Bearers?

Anyway, you needn't be a raging psychopath, nor a follower of the Imperials. It's very... contrived, is all I can think of to really describe it, and just feels like there's a case for "ooh we must have a "loyalist" traitor. But we've already done that. We've already had the whole loyalist traitor, as that was what set up the scene initially as a result of Garro and the Eisenstein, plus a side show by Tarvitz and Loken.

But do we really need to go through every traitor legions super special snowflake Drizzt do'Urden character who is raging against the machine?

And especially for a legion that was as notorious in its operations even before the coming of Curze to its head? And Curze disowning the legion pretty much after he realised it was as broken as he was as a result of the Nostraman influence and he destroyed his "home" planet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts

Anyway, you needn't be a raging psychopath, nor a follower of the Imperials. It's very... contrived, is all I can think of to really describe it, and just feels like there's a case for "ooh we must have a "loyalist" traitor. But we've already done that. We've already had the whole loyalist traitor, as that was what set up the scene initially as a result of Garro and the Eisenstein, plus a side show by Tarvitz and Loken.

But do we really need to go through every traitor legions super special snowflake Drizzt do'Urden character who is raging against the machine?

And especially for a legion that was as notorious in its operations even before the coming of Curze to its head? And Curze disowning the legion pretty much after he realised it was as broken as he was as a result of the Nostraman influence and he destroyed his "home" planet.
I think I get where you're coming from. More an issue of us seeing too many loyalist traitors throughout countless stories rather than them being inconceivable in certain Legions?

If that's what you mean, then I would agree. It's kind of been done already. What is more annoying though is:

Aside from that, Fel Zharost being a 'loyalist' is perfectly reasonable. He's not a character who is screaming "For the Emperor!". In fact...

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
There's already at least one Night Lord loyalist fighting for the Raven Guard in one of the books.
No there's not. There is a traitor Raven Guard fighting for the Night Lords however.

There has been a loyalist Word Bearer, was part of the Crusader Host on Terra. Makes at least one loyalist from all the traitor legions apart from the Alpha Legion, because who knows what the fuck they are ever up to or where their loyalties lie.

But I do get your point. And again as CotE said, and as I said before. They would be a lot more interesting if they weren't just being thrown away like any run of the mill astartes on retarded missions.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I point you towards all the Terrans that were killed because they wouldn't follow Lorgar. Also in The Purge, a Word Bearer member of the Crusader Host is murdered by Jarulek and Sor Talgron because he refuses to become monsters like them.

No there's not. There is a traitor Raven Guard fighting for the Night Lords however.
Actually there is. In Ravenlord during Corax's council note is made of a loyalist Night Lord that has joined Corax's ad-hoc guerrilla force. He only gets one line and doesn't appear again though.

LotN

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Actually there is. In Ravenlord during Corax's council note is made of a loyalist Night Lord that has joined Corax's ad-hoc guerrilla force. He only gets one line and doesn't appear again though.
I rescind my previous statement. As of yet I still haven't had the motivation to read Ravenlord. Or Damnation of Pythos for that matter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The World Eaters were the Warhounds before.

They had some semblance of honor and restraint.

The Night Lords were always rapists and murderers.
No, they were not. Just like every other legion, the first wave of marines was composed from those who were borne on Terra, not on Nostramo. It's later when Night Haunter has joined his Legion the recruits from Nostramo started to come. So by the time the Heresy has started there were plenty of those who probably didn't like what was happing but kept their mouth shut because of the "Esprit de Corps".

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Yes because clearly the Night Lords prior to reuniting with their primarch recruited from Terran children of aristocratic scholars and law-abiding citizens just as the Ultramarines did.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yeah I think Massacre basically says that the Night Lords always recruited criminals and psychopaths, just ones that were less so than the Nostraman crowd.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts