Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my local shop, (which has only been opened for about 5wks), the manager is a complete bitch, no one likes her unless they are a snob. I was going to sigh up for a event in the next couple of wks but she said i needed to buy the planetstrike supplement. I asked if i could have a quick look through the book but was told i could'nt unless i bought it, so thought it was a joke and went to look in it anyway and then was told if i did i would get banned from the shop for not buying anything. WTF?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
wow sounds like a bitch tell her to fuck off and find a new place?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
my store has there own "file" which usually contains every coedx and book with rules(and a few WD's with rules). They will let you read them any time as long as you ask to let them know that you have taken it out of the cubord.

But ya i'm glad my locals not liek yours.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Report them to GW Customer Services; negative feedback is the only type that can significantly help companies improve their offering to the market. :grin:

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I can see her wanting you to buy stuff from the store, but not even letting you look at the book that she's informing you that you require is pretty... dumb. Especially when she comes down super hard on you for it.

Maybe take a look at a friend's Planetstrike book in the meantime since this manager clearly doesn't want you to make an decision on whether to purchase product from her store.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Lol, The 2 who run my local GW are legends, Turn up for games night on a thursday.

If you forget some models you can use some of the Stores; You can use the stores dice/templates rulebooks/codexes (You just take them off the wall, and use it)

The 2 guys are so nice, I feel sorry for you!

Needless to say you should still buy your own copies, But not even allowed to look at it? That's just dumb.

When i saw the thread title i thought, ugh, some Kid did something stupid.

But Then i saw Lord Rahl and was like wtf? Everyone around these parts knows your nice, so This is just the store owner being a bitch. Go back to where you used to play, Shes not worth the effort :|

Good luck!

·
Banned
5,108 Posts
In my local shop, (which has only been opened for about 5wks), the manager is a complete bitch, no one likes her unless they are a snob. I was going to sigh up for a event in the next couple of wks but she said i needed to buy the planetstrike supplement. I asked if i could have a quick look through the book but was told i could'nt unless i bought it, so thought it was a joke and went to look in it anyway and then was told if i did i would get banned from the shop for not buying anything. WTF?
Funny the gw here has an open copy of every book and codex for people to use or check before buying them......Your manager just sounds like a power hungry bitch.:angry:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Funny the gw here has an open copy of every book and codex for people to use or check before buying them......Your manager just sounds like a power hungry bitch.:angry:
Same here, they are usually on the shelf next or near to their relevant book/codex, they have a large black and white 'OPEN COPY' sticker on them, everyone is free to flick through and read them as they wish, I've seen me sitting in my local GW for hours reading through the open copy codexes and nothing was ever said to me, sounds like this Manager is on a power trip or something, my Girlfriend who is an Assistant Store Manager in a Dept. Store thinks who should report her to GW Customer Services as do I, Neither of us can see any harm in you looking at the book before buying it, that's exactly the same as picking up and flicking through a book you are considering buying in Waterstones or lifting an item in any store for a closer look, the staff/management don't threaten to ban you for not buying anything(that's a belter, I've went and hovered about in my FLGS for hours watching games and not bought anything never been threatened with banning) You always get one.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Report them to GW Customer Services; negative feedback is the only type that can significantly help companies improve their offering to the market. :grin:
This.
Ultimately, GW train their staff to sell things.
It's just how it is, their job is based around convincing people to buy things; I've been lied to before just so I'd buy the Macragge set, I was told I'd get the kits for the units, not shitty stick-together models with no options. I returned it, of course.

Anyway, if you report her for such poor conduct, she will most certainly be either penalised or fired if they can back up your claim, because that sort of behaviour is discouraging people from buying things, very much so; and GW want their staff to sell things.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
rule number 1 of woking on the shop floor with customers - don't be a [email protected]#ktard!!
I don't know why she said that and i don't knwo if it was misinteprtated etc but forceing to buy a book to read atleast soemthign on it is just stupid. I work in a pharmasy and i will oftne open soaps to let people smell them etc It's just common ceritisy.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Lol, luckily the managers of the two shops I visit are very friendly, they let you just sit there for hours trying to decide what to buy, and they dont give a shit if you read through the Codicies before you buy them...

·
Registered
494 Posts
The store Manager seems to be a bit... over the top shall we say? A bit silly that she wouldn't let you check the product before buying it, i mean its like saying "yes this contains XYZ but you can't check because you might not buy it"

I once Read the ENTIRE chaos deamons codex in a Tiny store and they didn't care at all. Just proves that so GW are awesome and others.... Not as awesome.

·
Registered
887 Posts
my store is epic, open books, use almost anything you want, ask if you can play a game, the manager walks to his car and comes back with his army.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Every GW I've been to here in Oz has an open 'Store Copy' of every Codex, Army book and supplement, as well as the main rulebook for all three systems. All are available to be perused at any time and many are used to help in pick-up games. The Staff are also quite cool about letting you borrow a couple of minis here and there should you be short; if they know you and you aren't an arse-head, then they will also let you borrow entire armies should you want/need to.
This Manager is totally out of order and GW Customer Service need to be informed quick smart. She seems to trying to form some sort of clique, an elite in the shop. This is so far against GW policy as to be unbelievable she's actually doing it. GW, from my experience as a Customer and no more, want so much to foster a warm, friendly and welcoming environment, wanting everyone, be it veteran or newcomer or parent/grandparent looking to buy a present for a family member to feel comfortable and able to ask whatever questions they need to make sure they get the right thing. Her Area Manager needs to know.
You aren't telling tales, you aren't being arsey (as long as you're being honest!;))- in the long run you'll be doing her, and the local gaming community, a favour.

GFP

·
Registered
228 Posts
we have a store copy of the BRB's and white dwarf and as long as the littler kids who dont take care of things aren't about we can just pluck any dexxx/open book off the shelves and read it/ use it instore.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Since it is pretty obvious who you are talking about and only one person in this thread has actually met that person apparantly, perhaps we could tone down the name calling a smidge?

Based on what the OP has said there may be some justification in talking to higher ups, though any outcome of that will be weighed against more than just the one comment, no matter how disgruntled that person may be.

Alternatively:
- stop using the store altogether, or
- have a word next time you are in and try to set things straight, or
- ignore it entirely and assume they were having a bad day.

...the manager is a complete bitch, no one likes her unless they are a snob...
This doesn't really help your case in my opinion though; you may not like her but labelling anyone who does a snob just makes it look like you are the one at fault. You are both adults so hopefully there is a way forward from this that doesn't involve a load of people throwing mud at someone they have never met.

When it comes down to it, it was a minor thing really in the grand scheme of things. If it is as you say then a refresher in customer care wouldn't go amiss, but it is probably brought on by the demanding sales targets that GW put on their staff. In a busy shop with a good turnover they perhaps have a little more room to not be on the sales pitch all the time, but a lot of the smaller shops clearly struggle to hit targets at times, or the staff wouldn't be so keen to hawk stuff the moment you go in. So in essence, complaining to her managers that she was trying to sell you something, albeit with a poor approach, may not achieve all that much.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Pretty much Report her to the Customer Services as has been suggested.

Not letting you look at the books without buying them is 100% retarded. Every store I've come accross in the UK, even the tiniest 1 man shop, WILL have store copies of the books you can browse through if you ask. Saying you can't loo unless your buying.. how do you know you really want it if you can't see it?

Also... if its only been open 5 weeks and this is how the manager is acting, GW will want to know as its driving away customers, especially if she's threatening to ban people from teh store for not buying anything... What are the veteran gamers who are just comming in to chat, or who want to use the game boards going to do with that sort of policy?

If you know any of the other who hate this manager as your suggesting, if they have complaints about her too, get them to make reports also... If there are alot of people who dislike her and they get reports from several different people, it adds alot more weight to your complaint.

·
Registered
500 Posts
well just do what I do when someone screws with me, make it your mission to make there life miserable.:victory:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.