Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From BoLS:

Word is going around that the trucks have left the station... The era of GW and metal is going, going gone....

Word today is that truckloads containing literally metric tons of metal miniatures have pulled away from GW HQ, headed for a date with a furnace. The entire stock is to be smelted down and sold off on the metals markets.

Look for any remaining stocks of metal models to disappear shortly from the website.

GW's era of metal miniatures is ending. I wouldn't be surprised to see other manufacturers following suit in the month's ahead. The writing is on the wall.
Like the passing of an elderly loved one, it was always a matter of when, not if...
Now take this with salt as when I looked last there weren't models missing, but that may change. Right now it's unclear if the metal models for ranges that aren't being updated at the moment will be handed over to FW as part of the rumored merger of the two sides of the house into a single entity or if they're being dropped completely. Heck it's not even clear if this has actually happened yet, so please keep the torches and pitchforks to a minimum.

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
If, and this is a big if mind you, they are indeed getting rid of all their metal and selling it off, that screams to me that they want cash fast. In addition to canning the regional managers and the like it seems like they are trying to get/save as much money as they can so the full year report is healthier.

I personally still think they are looking to sell and are trimming themselves in preperation.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disagree with you Reaper, but mostly because the option of slowly phasing it out costs more for GW than a smelt and sell does. Those metal models take up extremely valuable warehouse space, and really the only other options for GW are to sell the models via a sale (resulting in them carrying this merchandize that hasn't really been moving for a couple of years now) for an unknown amount of time until it finally manages to sell or throw it in the rubbish bin. Selling the White Metal is honestly the smartest move they could make here assuming they are dropping metal completely. It frees up space, and gives them a much more predictable return on their initial investment.

Also, despite GW's sales being down this last year they aren't exactly hurting on cash. They've been floating a pretty large Retained Earnings account for a while which meansbthey don't have to run out and get loans or look for more investors when they have a slump. They can't run on it forever, but it's a safety net I noticed some months ago that likely helps them stay on relatively financially solid ground when things don't look their best.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Who writes this shite???? Metal got shit canned back in 06 when the prices went from $3 to $10 and stayed there(well apart from in 2011 when they peaked at $15 and we got fine cast).
Even if GW happened to be sitting on metric tons of metal models(which i seriously doubt) it hardly means we are suddenly going to be missing huge swathes of products if they decided to cash in the metal as scrap, most of the products in the GW range are now plastic and those that are not are resin, very few metal products remain and those that do are priced accordingly.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
GW stores their stock of miniatures at their HQ? And not a manufacturing/distribution warehouse?
It may surprise you that its actually the same place.

I'm not sure how valuable the metal used by GW is when sold on the whole sale market. Its an alloy that is probably not in particularly high demand anywhere. Its not like a big lump of steel or aluminium that can be used easily in manufacturing industry.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My point is, the image depicted is such that these giant trucks are hauling off the entire range of metal minis from a big giant GW building, when surely they have distribution centers overseas (Like here in the US), etc. that house these items. In order to recall them all to be trucked off from their HQ, they'd ACTUALLY have to disappear from the website as GW can't sell a product that's been hauled off to their HQ for termination.

If that makes any sense.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
It may surprise you that its actually the same place.

I'm not sure how valuable the metal used by GW is when sold on the whole sale market. Its an alloy that is probably not in particularly high demand anywhere. Its not like a big lump of steel or aluminium that can be used easily in manufacturing industry.
well white metal is around 80%+ tin and in 2006 most of the world banned the use of lead based solders leading to the electronics industry looking for a safe alternate metal, and they went with tin based solders(which isnt a surprise as the toy industry went with tin to replace lead when it was banned too) so the price of tin which was peanuts at the time more than tripled in a year and has stayed high ever since.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
My point is, the image depicted is such that these giant trucks are hauling off the entire range of metal minis from a big giant GW building, when surely they have distribution centers overseas (Like here in the US), etc. that house these items. In order to recall them all to be trucked off from their HQ, they'd ACTUALLY have to disappear from the website as GW can't sell a product that's been hauled off to their HQ for termination.

If that makes any sense.
pay it no attention, its just internet sensationalism, a GW employee once closed his store so he could take his lunch hour, by the time the internet had finished with the story, all stores were closing down worldwide permanently and GW was going to be internet only and the member of staff had punched an old lady stolen her handbag and had sex with his own mother during his lunch break, and Matt Ward was to blame some how.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
pay it no attention, its just internet sensationalism, a GW employee once closed his store so he could take his lunch hour, by the time the internet had finished with the story, all stores were closing down worldwide permanently and GW was going to be internet only and the member of staff had punched an old lady stolen her handbag and had sex with his own mother during his lunch break, and Matt Ward was to blame some how.
Ahahaha, alright then, noted.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
DAMN YOU WAAAAAARD!

I still barely even know why we hate him. "We" because I wanna be cool too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It's also fairly likely that Games Workshop has a stock of older models that it was disposing of due to lack of sales making them more valuable as scrap than as product.

Bear in mind this doesn't mean that all the figures had to have been sold. It may just be parts of the stock. This is a company that for almost 20 years made metal models. So the stock being scrapped could be anything, but not necessarily everything.

Either way, it shouldn't be shocking. They stopped producing new metal products years ago if I'm not mistaken, and even converted a fair amount of it to resin. Doesn't anybody remember what the last new metal miniature was?

I wonder about the future of the ranges that are still all-metal. Especially if Finecast really is about to die like we've been hearing.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It's also fairly likely that Games Workshop has a stock of older models that it was disposing of due to lack of sales making them more valuable as scrap than as product.

Bear in mind this doesn't mean that all the figures had to have been sold. It may just be parts of the stock. This is a company that for almost 20 years made metal models. So the stock being scrapped could be anything, but not necessarily everything.

Either way, it shouldn't be shocking. They stopped producing new metal products years ago if I'm not mistaken, and even converted a fair amount of it to resin. Doesn't anybody remember what the last new metal miniature was?

I wonder about the future of the ranges that are still all-metal. Especially if Finecast really is about to die like we've been hearing.
Not to divert the topic, but what does finecast dying entail? This isn't the first time I've heard this. Are those models being replaced by a different material, or disappearing from the range? What's the story?

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
I still barely even know why we hate him.
Because there are still a shockingly large number of people who seem to believe that when a codex has his name on it, that he and he alone wrote all of the fluff. That no one else helped, proof-read, gave idea's, or disagreed.

Since, you know, thats totally how it works...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Because there are still a shockingly large number of people who seem to believe that when a codex has his name on it, that he and he alone wrote all of the fluff. That no one else helped, proof-read, gave idea's, or disagreed.

Since, you know, thats totally how it works...
The especially funny part about the Mat Ward hate is that 90% of the 5th Edition Space Marine Codex is a copy/paste job from the 4th Edition C:SM and the 2nd Edition Codex: Ultramarines. People want to act like Mat Ward suddenly invented the idea of the Ultramarines being the best. The Ultramarines have been the best for 20 years, lol. The back cover of Codex: Ultramarines (1995) calls them "The greatest of all Space Marine Chapters", and it was written by Rick Priestley and Jervis Johnson, who are basically the creators of 40K.

The Ultramarines have pretty much always been the best (since 2nd Edition is the start of the modern canon for 40K). Players who get upset about the Ultramarines are typically the funniest of nerd-ragers, because it's the most illogical thing possible in the hobby to be angry that a different color of plastic toy soldiers is considered better than your favorite color of plastic toy soldiers in an entirely fictional universe. Especially since the fluff behind why the Ultramarines are so good is actually fairly well written.

Now, complaints about the changes to the Necron fluff, and some of the more ridiculous stuff in Codex: Grey Knights might be warranted. Though you make a good point. Ward may not have actually written any or all of that.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The especially funny part about the Mat Ward hate is that 90% of the 5th Edition Space Marine Codex is a copy/paste job from the 4th Edition C:SM and the 2nd Edition Codex: Ultramarines. People want to act like Mat Ward suddenly invented the idea of the Ultramarines being the best. The Ultramarines have been the best for 20 years, lol. The back cover of Codex: Ultramarines (1995) calls them "The greatest of all Space Marine Chapters", and it was written by Rick Priestley and Jervis Johnson, who are basically the creators of 40K.

The Ultramarines have pretty much always been the best (since 2nd Edition is the start of the modern canon for 40K). Players who get upset about the Ultramarines are typically the funniest of nerd-ragers, because it's the most illogical thing possible in the hobby to be angry that a different color of plastic toy soldiers is considered better than your favorite color of plastic toy soldiers in an entirely fictional universe. Especially since the fluff behind why the Ultramarines are so good is actually fairly well written.
This is why my favorite toy soldiers aren't human (officially).

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
DAMN YOU WAAAAAARD!

I still barely even know why we hate him. "We" because I wanna be cool too.
Don't forget he also co-wrote that fox song with Ylvis............

1 - 20 of 62 Posts