Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wonder if an one can help me. I need an ink like the old GW dark green....but i have ebayed and no ones selling one, so do you guys know of an alternative. let me know, im on my last few drops.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
GW washes are nothing like their old inks.

I'd check out Reaper Master Series or Vallejo's inks. Both companies' product are basically identical to one another. I use Reaper inks, and I have really good results with them.

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Crux, i have a pot of GW Dark Green ink that is sitting in my paint box, do you want it? PM me with your address and i'll pop it in the post at the weekend.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Are you going to need a long term solution, or is one pot going to do it?

GW washes are nothing like their old inks.

I'd check out Reaper Master Series or Vallejo's inks. Both companies' product are basically identical to one another. I use Reaper inks, and I have really good results with them.
The P3 line of inks is pretty good too. I haven't tried out their green, though.

They have a lot of pigment in them, and need to be thinned, but I so prefer that over the crazy thin washes that GW makes now.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Now, I hate to bump an old-ish thread, but I've come across the same issue while trying to follow along the 'Painting Lava Bases' tutorial which requires both Yellow and Red Inks.

Looking at the only Vallejo page I could find in English, there is Vallejo Game Paint and Vallejo Model Paint. Which of these should I be getting as substitutes for the old colours (model or game)? My local hobby shop has only Citadel and Vallejo, which is why I'm asking for that brand specifically.

-OR-

Would it be possible to use watered down Blood Red/Golden Yellow to create my own ink, or would it require some other random ingredient added in to truly be able to effectively substitute.

Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've never attempted to extremely water down my paints to make an ink, but I don't think it would work all that well. Maybe add a small amount of dishsoap as the missing ingredient because that's what you need for inks anyway.

As a long time inker (I have lots of old paints) I've found I really like the washes better. I'd give it a try as it's easier to get the wash and they are a decent quality.

I'd do large base and split it in sections. Try a wash in one sections, watered down paint in another, any other ideas in the other quadrants. Then see what you like best.

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Now, I hate to bump an old-ish thread, but I've come across the same issue while trying to follow along the 'Painting Lava Bases' tutorial which requires both Yellow and Red Inks.

Looking at the only Vallejo page I could find in English, there is Vallejo Game Paint and Vallejo Model Paint. Which of these should I be getting as substitutes for the old colours (model or game)? My local hobby shop has only Citadel and Vallejo, which is why I'm asking for that brand specifically.

Game Color and Model Color are pretty much the same product. The difference in the ranges is that Game Color has fewer colors in the range, and correspond to Games Workshop's paint range almost identically. They also contain a sealing resin in it. Model Color has a whole slew of shades for serious painters, which also includes assorted historical colors for model tanks and planes, as well as a wider range of mixes of shades based on the Game Color range.

Vallejo's inks only come in their Game Color range. Stuff to make your own precise mix for washes, inks, weathering pigments, etc is all in the Model Color range. I'd suggest requesting the Red Ink and Yellow Ink from the Game Color range if your store stocks Vallejo products.

If you can get either P3 ink, however, it comes in the same colors, and you get a MUCH larger bottle for pretty much the same price.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Im not a huge fan of using inks, the only one i use on regular basis is black, i use it to thin down black paint. I have used vallejo inks and they are pretty good to be honest, close enough to GW to follow tutorials and plenty in the pots. my only issue with vallejo is the dropper bottles, i only tend to use very small amounts of paint and even a drop is a waste in some cases.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts