Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been out for a few days now but here is the yearly summary from GW.

2011 Full Year Report

When reading through it I spotted this gem:
Sales
Reported sales decreased by 2.7% to £123.1 million for the year. However, on a constant currency basis, sales were down by 2.9% from
£126.5 million to £122.8 million; progress was achieved in Emerging Markets and Japan (+2.1%) and in the Other business units (+7%) while
sales in Continental Europe (+0.6%) were flat. UK (-6.3%), North America (-4.8%) and Australia (-11.8%) were in decline.
Australian sales are down by -11.8%? Geee, I wonder why.... maybe they just dont like it up the ass as much as GW thinks?

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Hmm, wonder how they could increase the Australian sales, eh?

·
Registered
131 Posts
those price hikes won't solve their problem on the long run tho.
completely agree...
but i bet it made up for (and caused) some of those drops in sales.

·
Registered
72 Posts
dont be supprised if there are more price increases next year, 6th ed is 100% on it's way.
lets see how much the start charging for a warhound titan in a gw store next year.

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
big problem is if they keep raising the costs a lot of people WILL quit getting new stuff. unlike all the pointless rants from people i hear that keep on getting GW stuff anyways. but at this rate i get the feeling that the Price hikes get more frequent.

I also know loads of people that would play either LoTr warhammer or 40K if it was just a bit cheaper. i recon this counts for loads of people all around the world. what would happen if they would decrease the prices to allow lower income persons to join the hobby?

Either it would solve their problem on the long run. or it would backfire and the company would end up broke.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
its things like this that makes me wish that i took Econ/Business classes more seriously...

but from what i understand...i think...GW made LESS money this past fiscal year than the fiscal year before, correct?

sales in Continental Europe (+0.6%) were flat. UK (-6.3%), North America (-4.8%) and Australia (-11.8%) were in decline.
Australian sales are down by -11.8%? Geee, I wonder why.... maybe they just dont like it up the ass as much as GW thinks?
same thing in the US, Canada & UK...seems like the mainland Europeans are the only ones being conned "correctly"

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The Australian drop of 11.8% doesn't really include the Embargo backlash, because that was announced the last week of May and the Finance Report ended the end of May...it'll be 2012's financial year's report that'll show the true extent of the backlash.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
well actually its likely that drop in sales in Aus is the reason for the export ban, GW's sales on the balance books take into account the sales direct from a GW point of sale not indie traders. the drop in sales in the UK are likely down to the increase in VAT in january and our economy is stuttering because of the VAT hike across the board, look at how our economy only grew a tiny amount in the last 3 months.
on a positive note GW despite everything are still profitable and are a going concern, more new stuff on the horizon!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Mostly as expected I think, the Australian sales drop undoubtedly lead to the embargo on independants shipping there. To be honest, with such a large sales drop it is no wonder they took such drastic actions, sharholders would have demanded some assurance that they weren't wasting their time in Australia.

Interesting, finecast seems to be molded in flexible molds, I was very much under the (false) impression it was a castable resin for use with existing tooling.

'We are in the process of renewing our successful licence deal with Fantasy Flight Publishing..'

Good news I say.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
We'll see if the embargo causes a pickup in Australian sales, or a further decline next year. Either way, it's certainly damaging their brand with Australian customers, but that isn't going to make Australia unprofitable to them, in the short term at least.

On the other hand, until they redo the pricing they'll probably see an up-tick in forgeworld sales - it's cheaper to buy Forge World stuff and have it shipped over than than to buy normal GW stuff here.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Hmm..

Games Workshop have a lot of grovelling to do to manage to get their sales back up. The fact that they lost 10% of sales from Aus is a big hit. It means that the price hike last year really affected the selling. God knows what this one has done. I can see losses of another 10 - 20% May next year.

As for UK. I can see sales staying gradual, although, what with Independents being more dominant in the market, I don't see the -6% changing. Although, I expect with the release of Space Marines we might see an increase maybe.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
It's nice to be able to read through these reports and see things that I normally am not privy to otherwise.

The "Chairman's Preamble" was an interesting read. It seems that the chairman himself will be heading the training of the successors of the business. (I thought he was joking when he made mention of the ages, but a look at the executive director profiles made me realize he was not. With the exception of a 41-year-old, the others are in their late-50s to late-60s.

And I would have never made the connection that the appearance of FW kits on the Apocalypse battlefields years ago was the impetus for switching from metal to resin, hastened by the rising costs of said metal.

The little nugget that the partnership with THQ has been renewed to 2020, which will allow for the completion of the WH40K MMO will surely be welcome news for my friends who are rather fanatical about the games.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They have just gone about the pricing structure the wrong way for Australia.
I don't mind paying more, as I am further away from the source, but not nearly double.

I had so many plans to buy other races, but the embargo hit and scared my wallet away.

Ah well, lets see whats next years results bring...;>

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
GW's problem is that more and more of its Australian customers are becoming smarter at shopping around. I can't justify spending the 87.5% mark up. So i purchase via EBay and when Waylands ever gets it act together in regards to its ROW customer i'll continue to use this option, i have calculated with a strong Aussie Dollar i am saving 55% to 60% off GW Australian Shelf Prices.

For every dollar i spend it goes directly to an overseas vendor, i can't support the local vendors.

Case in point, if Wayland gets act together and if their ROW prices are the same as domestic then i can purchase a CSM Battleforce for $81.90 AuD (this includes postage), currently that very CSM Battleforce on Aussie shelves is $180 AuD.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts