Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got to try two of them my LGS got in as a demo and I have to say, these are crap. They are extremely thick (seemingly even more so than the P3 paints) and they seem very chalky to me. I used them a bit and then sealed them back up.

I'm not a fan of the bottles either, someday hopefully GW and Privateer Press will figure out people love the eyedropper bottles that Vallejo uses. It's so hard to get out a little paint to mix from the flip top bottles and the lids on the GW foundations are sort of hard to open though at least they won't dry out.

Overall, don't like em.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Well i also had a go of them the other day, and i've got mixed feelings about them. If you are wanting to paint an army quickly to "just get it done" then they are great! They cover black very well and they are great for things like yellow etc which are very opaque. However, for a grizzly old git like myself who a lot of the time like to paint in a style so that the black sometime still shows, there not much good.

MarzM :mrgreen:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that the coverage is very good. But coverage is sacrificed to being extremely thick which is why they just don't work for me. I tried Stone and Ochre

·
Ex Mod.
4,245 Posts
i did wonder how thick they were. i personally think that when the paint gets thicker you have to water it down, and lose the benefit the paint gives.

i currently am trying out rackhams line of paints. they are thick, but i find they cover well even when watered down. plus they are cheaper than GW fondation paints and you get more in pot. and they have a sort of dropper rather than just a lid if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cccp_one said:
i did wonder how thick they were. i personally think that when the paint gets thicker you have to water it down, and lose the benefit the paint gives.
thats correct, the pigment does get dilluted when you water down. One good thing to get if you do find yourself watering a lot of paints down is get some of Vallejo's Acrylic Thinner (comes in a white dropper bottle). It is meant to dillute the thickness without the paint losing any of it's pigment properties.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
personally i dont like vallejo, i have found they dont cover very well despite being very thick. I really like the foundations as a base coat, and i've found they speed up my painting loads

·
Registered
954 Posts
There about as thick as the guy i played at GT last a couple of years back who tried to use an ultramarine army against me with Tigerius and an elite infiltrating dev squad with tank hunter! He was disqualified!

Curiously he turned up at the final with somebody elses ticket, and tried to stay under the radar by signing his own name on the quiz and not the persons name he was pretending to be!

what a FUD! Oh happy days! lol

MarzM :mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts